Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-21-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petersb View Post
Superior visibility , yes , the front bow is a non issue but the visibility to the side and rear quarters much superior ( no tip up roll bar in the way)
I've been following this debate since I started building my -6 nearly 20 years ago. In all that time, this is probably the first time I've heard someone make the case that visibility is better in a slider!

Sam- pass the popcorn.
Milwaukee
Old 11-21-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALagonia View Post
I recently saw a Youtube video of an emergency water landing with a slider in Italy. The slider canopy was open all the way as the airplane hit the water and inverted. The pilot must have opened it while in flight.
Probably. Doing so might make your eventual egress easier... or it might prevent you from egressing at all if you are knocked unconscious because you sacrificed the protection afforded by a closed canopy. Water can be awfully hard. Chose your poison, but think it through ahead of time and chose carefully.
Milwaukee
Old 11-21-2017, 07:44 PM

Pointing out the YouTube video was not to suggest favoring one canopy over the other. It was a response to the comment that the slider canopy cannot be opened in flight.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
I recently saw a Youtube video of an emergency water landing with a slider in Italy. The slider canopy was open all the way as the airplane hit the water and inverted. The pilot must have opened it while in flight.
it was an emergency landing after a collision , engine shut down .... the pilot managed the emergency landing very good opening the canopy before touch down but when the plane hit the water and inverted the canopy slide forward and close again so it was impossible for him to vacate the plane , it was only with the help of some people in the beach nearby that his was rescued .....so install a device to block the canopy in the open position otherwise when it happen to invert it behaves like a tip up
Old 10-25-2018, 05:39 PM

Default Southern Comfort...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davoakes@att.net View Post
I can only say that I have been upside down in a slider. If you take a straight line from the nose of the tip up to the roll bar. For me I would prefer to be upside down in a slider.
Obviously in either case it would not be pleasant.
Do all you can NOT to be upside down.
Dave
Dave,
As a Southern Jurassic RV4 and current RV6X Slider owner, canopy type boils down to one thing, comfort.
Having flown a very well air conditioned Jet with a forward tilt-Up (F-16C) for 25 years, I appreciate how hot it gets in an RV on the ground or in the air in the summertime. Visibility is another thing, no canopy bow=better visibility, no argument there. The F-16 and tilt-up RV share that distinction and it is nice.
However comma, for me comfort wins. Taxiing the 6X on the ground with my arm on the rail is well, nice. My RV4 canopy was high enough to allow the same.

As far as jettison goes, my Four had a pin that held the canopy open well above the rail and I cut slots in my rail on the RV6X Slider so it can be removed/jettisoned if need be. The RV4 plans say it will "tear away" if slightly opened inflight as several owners inadvertently discovered. In the F-16 any landing gear EP included optional Canopy Jettison. That said, I have slowed my 6X down enough to slide the canopy aft inflight. High AOA is the key, the higher the Alpha, the easier it is to slide open and potentially jettison.

I 've witnessed two RV nose dragger flip-overs right in front of me, both from botched/buffooned landings turned PIO, nose-first touchdown, broken off nose gear. No anti splat device would have helped and both individuals would have been trapped a long time without help. Both, very avoidable.
The other scenario is a engine failure/forced landing off-airport in questionable terrain. My personal technique is I carry a Smith&Wesson 9/11 tool (glass breaker/cutter)https://www.amazon.com/Wesson-Respon.../dp/B009XN12UM I plan on canopy jettison if time/altitude permit.

V/R
Smokey

Last edited by smokyray : 10-27-2018 at 05:31 AM.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokyray View Post
Dave,
As a Southern Jurassic RV4 and current RV6X Slider owner, canopy type boils down to one thing, comfort.
Having flown a very well air conditioned Jet with a forward tilt-Up (F-16C) for 25 years, I appreciate how hot it gets in an RV on the ground or in the air in the summertime. Visibility is another thing, no canopy bow=better visibility, no argument there. The F-16 and tilt-up RV share that distinction and it is nice.
However comma, for me comfort wins. Taxiing the 6X on the ground with my arm on the rail is well, nice. My RV4 canopy was high enough to allow the same.

As far as jettison goes, my Four had a pin that held the canopy open well above the rail and I cut slots in my rail on the RV6X Slider so it can be removed/jettisoned if need be. The RV4 plans say it will "tear away" if slightly opened inflight as several owners inadvertently discovered. In the F-16 any landing gear EP included optional Canopy Jettison. That said, I have slowed my 6X down enough to slide the canopy aft inflight. High AOA is the key, the higher the Alpha, the easier it is to slide open and potentially jettison.

I 've witnessed two RV nose dragger flip-overs right in front of me, both from botched/buffooned landings turned PIO, nose-first touchdown, broken off nose gear. No anti splat device would have helped and both individuals would have been trapped a long time without help. Both, very avoidable.
The other scenario is a engine failure/forced landing off-airport in questionable terrain. My personal technique is I carry a Smith&Wesson 9/11 tool (glass breaker/cutter) and plan on canopy jettison if time/altitude permit.

V/R
Smokey
Hey Smokey, knife looks nice. Any idea if that's made in the good old USA?

Brian
RV8 - The Dream - Under Construction
Old 10-26-2018, 01:01 PM

Of note the tip up on the 12 and 14 is very well engineered with much more pre-fabricated as compared to the 6 and 7. I felt the 12 as a tip up was much easier than the slider 9s and 7s I built so I assume the 14 is the same too.

With that said by my observations and help on a friends tip up 9, I think the slider is easier for the 6,7,9 models. It is much easier to adjust to fit with fiberglass covering up an miss-alignments at the windshield junctions and in my case by fabrication a carbon fiber reinforced rear skirt. I probably spent 100 hours on my recent slider and I suspect my friend invested over 300 hours on his tip up.

Panel access is now a non-event with a well designed assembly with the big holes for two glass panels. Remove the displays and you have direct access.
RV-12 #120515, N319RV 1st flight 12/2015 now over 270 hours.
RV-9A, 536 hours sold, RV-7 sold, Kitfox sold
Old 10-26-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret View Post
Personal preference really, I have a slider with pull pins on the front rollers, lots of discussion on here as to if you can even open it during flight, but there ya go.

Quote:
If you put the flaps down and slow the plane down, you can probably open the slider in flight.

The real question is, can you get it open in level flight, at speed?
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 10-26-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
If you put the flaps down and slow the plane down, you can probably open the slider in flight.

Anyone willing to try (with a safety chute)? Also, is there any info about being able to open either a slider or tip-up during a spin if one ever needed to bail with a chute in flight?
Old 10-26-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post

I think this has been discussed here on VAF at length, and the answer is yes, the slider can be opened in flight and there is at least two document cases and one with an egress... speed is unclear.

http://www.vansairforce.net/articles/Ditching.htm

https://www.ntsb.gov/about/employmen...99FA113&akey=1

There may be others.
RV8 - The Dream - Under Construction

Last edited by Northernliving : 10-26-2018 at 07:09 PM.