- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2011, 12:43 PM

Default Canopy Eject RV-6 Slider for parachute use test

Spent some time yesterday testing the ability to eject the slider canopy in my RV6. I have installed removable pins in the canopy bow foward (with nice cable handles) so the test was to see if the canopy could be pulled back enough to push up and off.
With interepit assistant we safety cabled the canopy latch and tested at 120kts and 140 kts. At 120 kts we had to tug back but it cleared the windscreen fiberglass enough , at 140 kts it popped itself back enough as well.
Both times it was not happy about allowing any pushing any farther back. To close and latch the canopy we had to slow to 70 kts to make that possible.

Well it now seems in my RV6 use of a parachute looks possible if needed
Cheers, hope this helps , PS it takes 2 do do this kind of test

Peter RV6 inv system
Old 05-10-2011, 03:28 PM

Hi Peter,
Thanks for testing that! I installed the quick release pins on my slider canopy, too...but I've never tested opening it in flight. Thanks for going there!
Old 05-10-2011, 10:16 PM

Default Pics Please

Can you please post a picture of your pins and the cables that you mentioned.

Thanks,

Keith
Old 05-10-2011, 11:44 PM

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is the eject pin set up, replaces the an3 bolt and nut, used cable and fuel tube, tuck into holes when not used
Peter
Old 05-11-2011, 08:46 AM

Mine is similar, without the yellow lanyard. I just replaced the AN3 bolt with an equal length T-handled pip-pin. I also drilled the holes at about a 45 degree angle so the T-handle is pointing at me. Makes it easier to remove if required, and it gives the other end of the pin more clearance around the windscreen roll bar (since it now is positioned off to the outside).
Old 05-11-2011, 10:49 AM

As you suggest, little point in wearing a parachute unless you can get out to use it

However, adding a jettisonable canopy has, to me, it's own risks. Nobody has done any testing, AFAIK, on the canopy v the fin. We had a Aermacchi SF.260 lose a canopy in flight last year in the UK, and the pilot survived the "barely controllable flight" into a field shortly thereafter, the SF.260 did not

As a Mil trainer, most might consider the SF.260 "over engineered". If the consequences of canopy loss in that were so bad, what prospects for an RV?

Seeking opinions:
  1. Has anybody successfully bailed out of an RV?
  2. Has anybody apparently needed to bail out of an RV, but failed to do so? (i.e. effectively a fatal accident where successful use of parachute(s) would have saved the occupant(s) - so would need whatever "problem" occurred to have been at a good height, and bad enough to force jumping out).
  3. Do the above (if any exist) outweigh the prolems that might occur from an inadvertant canopy jettison at an altitude that lost control of the aircraft, but too low / not wearing chutes preventing successful abandonment).
Genuine questions - open to opinions.

Andy & Ellie Hill
RV-8 G-HILZ
RV8tors
Old 05-11-2011, 10:55 AM

Andy, spoke with a RV-4 driver this weekend that lost his canopy in flight not too long ago. Saw the dings on his tail from the ordeal. Looks like the canopy bounced off the rear fuse and then off the fin. It just had a ding in it. I don't think the canopy is going to take the tail off if it were to be jettisoned.

"As you suggest, little point in wearing a parachute unless you can get out to use it

However, adding a jettisonable canopy has, to me, it's own risks. Nobody has done any testing, AFAIK, on the canopy v the fin. We had a Aermacchi SF.260 lose a canopy in flight last year in the UK, and the pilot survived the "barely controllable flight" into a field shortly thereafter, the SF.260 did not
Old 05-11-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Hill View Post
The probablity of an undesired canopy jettison are extremely low as three independent things need to happen for this to occur:
  1. The canopy latch must become unlocked,
  2. The canopy must be pulled aft. This requires significant force,
  3. The quick release pins must be pulled.
The odds of all three of these independent events happening are close enough to zero that I won't worry about it.

If I am not wearing a parachute, I remove the quick release pins and install the bolts, which completely zeros out the risk on those flights.
http://www.kilohotel.com/rv8/
Old 05-11-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Andy, spoke with a RV-4 driver this weekend that lost his canopy in flight not too long ago.
Brian... RV-3/RV-4 not relevant IMHO.. they are designed to be jettisonable, and side mounted. The 6/7/8/9 are centreline... and as I said, the SF.260 nearly did lose the pilot Having seen that accident, I am not optimistic that an RV-8 canopy coming off would not either take off the fin, or as in the SF.260, alter the aerodynamics enought to make it unflyable (the SF.260 was relatively undamaged, but was pitching down strongly).

Kevin... your points well made. However, as with quite a few RV "mods", there is quite a difference between someone who has thought through the requirement for, and balanced risks, of a "mod" - and mitigates those risks. So as I see it, fine for yourself - but as a general offering / recommend to others? Or put another way, is everyone really going to replace pins with bolts according to whether they are wearing a chute or not?

ATB
Andy
Old 05-11-2011, 12:15 PM

andy someone jumped out of his 8 that was on fire, unfortunately i do not think he had a parachute and he fell to his death. One example of someone getting out...