- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-6/6A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2007, 11:33 PM

Default Canopy opening in-flight RV-6

Hi,

I am a new owner of an RV6. I am wondering if I will wear a parachute when performing aerobatic maneuvers. People have told me it will be virtually impossible to open the canopy in flight. I have a slide out canopy. Does anybody know if the canopy can be opened in flight or not?

Thanks
Steve
Old 04-07-2007, 06:49 AM

Default Search

Steve,
Try the "search" feature. This subject has been hashed and rehashed many times but the consensus is that it cannot be opened in flight. Several guys have added removable pins on the front roller in the slider frame that they can pull out in an emergency. What would happen after that is speculation. Fin and rudder removed by the canopy? Does it even matter at that point?

If you think that you'll exceed 9 G's in your airplane, you either need not do aerobatics or go and get some good aero training. You really ought to also take skydiving lessons if you think you might need to bail because a first time jump will leave you disoriented, tumbling and an emotional mess if you've never jumped before.

Regards,
Air Tractor AT 502B PT 6-15
Air Tractor 402 PT-6-20
EAA Flight Advisor/CFI/Tech Counselor
Louisville, Ga

It's never skill or craftsmanship that completes airplanes, it's the will to do so,
Patrick Kenny, EAA 275132

Dues gladly paid!
Old 04-07-2007, 12:01 PM

[quote=pierre smith]Steve,
... You really ought to also take skydiving lessons if you think you might need to bail because a first time jump will leave you disoriented, tumbling and an emotional mess if you've never jumped before.../QUOTE]

training before flying with a chute yes, sky diving lessons NOT required to use a chute safely.
N872P (Reserved) VAF#771
RV-8 Tail Kit
Old 04-07-2007, 12:36 PM

I think the concensus is that canopy removal in normal flight is impossible, but who knows what the plane's attitude/speed will be in an emergency. For example, suppose you find yourself in an unrecoverable spin. It seems that the canopy would open under these circumstances.
Rag and tube project well under way

paid =VAF= dues through June 2013
Old 04-08-2007, 06:41 AM

Default RV6 canopy opening envelope

I can state with certainty that a high pressure area develops behind the canopy of an RV-6 slider, proportional to higher airpseeed, and relative to the pressure inside the canopy/cockpit. If you do not have a good canopy to fuselage seal in this area, and fly in the winter, you know what I mean. A good quality weatherstrip is the fix for the cold air blowing on the back of the neck part of this. Getting the canopy open in flight??? Why? Did a wing fall off? Are you inverted in a spin? Doubtful as to successful egress IMHO.
RV6/N72AT bought flying, sold
B737-800/NxxxAN
Sonex TD w/Aerovee/N732SX bought flying
Old 04-08-2007, 09:17 AM

Default I don't totally agree

[quote=Hostage46][quote=
training before flying with a chute yes, sky diving lessons NOT required to use a chute safely.[/QUOTE]

Hostage, The word you used I don't agree with is "safely". Opening a parachute while you are tumbling out of controll increases the risk of intanglements and parachute opening problems.

An experienced skydiver will get stable (no rotation), face to earth before he opens the chute. When learning to skydive it takes a few jumps to lurn how not to go into a spin.
Basically you learn how to turn yourself to stop the spin.

Back to the "safely" word used. Can a person who has never jumped before survive a jump from an aircraft without a scratch? Absolutely Yes. But, IMHO this action and the word safely should not be used in the same sentence.

Once the chute opens on the little round parachute you feel great for about a second. Then you look down and wonder what your going to land on!

Hostage, I agree with you from the standpoint that I would not advise someone to take skydiving lessons just because he wears an emergency chute now and then. But if he's really anal and wants to be trained for every senario then he should.

Bailing out...to me... is a last chance effort to save your life.
It will not be a safe thing to do.

Mark
FFI FL-24
A&P

Last edited by Mark Burns : 04-08-2007 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:56 AM

Default Put it this way

I have well over 500 jumps and folks ask me all the time about bailing out...I tell them to stay in the airplane!

Now I'm not saying that there are circumstances where one should not get out...The most likely one I think is an in flight fire.

But as most in flight fires can be extinguished by shutting everything off and a small extinguisher...I would advise that unless you have had a major structural failure to stay in the airplane.

As mentioned above your likely to be much better off sticking with what you know...in this case a gliding airplane.

And no...I do not loan my high performance square canopy to anyone for first flights and nor did I wear it for mine..

Cheers

frank
Old 04-08-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Burns
Bailing out...to me... is a last chance effort to save your life. It will not be a safe thing to do. Mark
I've always said that I'd have to be pretty terrified to jump out of anything

My point was that you can be trained without actually jumping from a live airplane. There are many in this forum, myself included, who rode around on ejection seats for years with nothing more then practice parachute landing falls and a few pointers on how to handle a may west. Most of the training I recieved was how to get away from the chute in the water.

In terms of the bailout proceedure, we we're taught how to get out out and pull the D-ring, which by the way, was a backup to a static line (T-34). You'd be suprised how many guys bail out of T-34's every year.

Buy the way, didn't the -6 used to have a t handle to jettison the canopy? I guess that went away?
N872P (Reserved) VAF#771
RV-8 Tail Kit
Old 04-08-2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostage46
Buy the way, didn't the -6 used to have a t handle to jettison the canopy? I guess that went away?
The handle was for the tip up, not the slider. The original canopy design on the 6 was able to be ejected. Unfortunately it also leaked water. The new design (with the goose-neck hinges) is better on the leaks, but questionable as to whether you could eject it. Many (me included) omited the T handle, but left the ejection works behind the panel as an easy way to remove/ install the canopy.
Milwaukee
Old 04-08-2007, 09:16 PM

The tip up canopy with the "goose-neck" hinges can indeed be ejected. To allow for this you cut the original slots in the forward skin and cover the slots with tape, similar to the tape used on sailplane wing roots. Mine has been flying like this for over 14 years without water leaks. And the canopy IS jettisonable.
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 172hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Recipient of Wright Brothers "Master Pilot" Award