Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-26-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Anyone willing to try (with a safety chute)? Also, is there any info about being able to open either a slider or tip-up during a spin if one ever needed to bail with a chute in flight?
The tip-up can open in flight. I have taken off with it unlatched during my 40 hours. It just floats open a few inches. To close it, I recommend landing; however, if you slow down, put out the flaps, you can close it again.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 10-26-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernliving View Post
I think this has been discussed here on VAF at length, and the answer is yes, the slider can be opened in flight and there is at least two document cases and one with an egress... speed is unclear.

http://www.vansairforce.net/articles/Ditching.htm

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=38485

There may be others.
Both of those are RV-8's. I assumed we were talking about the -6/7/9 since there is no tip-up available for the -8. Completely different airframe with different air loads.

If you do a search on the side-by-side RV's who have left the canopy open, apparently they won't budge with air loads applied.
SC86 - Easley, SC
Old 10-26-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
Both of those are RV-8's. I assumed we were talking about the -6/7/9 since there is no tip-up available for the -8. Completely different airframe with different air loads.

If you do a search on the side-by-side RV's who have left the canopy open, apparently they won't budge with air loads applied.
Appears that the side-by-side sliders can also be opened in flight with not so desirable results.

https://generalaviationnews.com/2016...-consequences/
RV8 - The Dream - Under Construction

Last edited by Northernliving : 10-26-2018 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:28 PM

Default Ease of exit

As an older guy with a tip up 6A I was curious if it's easier to exit from a slider cockpit once you're on the ground and parked? John
Old 10-26-2018, 08:55 PM

I built an early -6 before the slider was even an option. No disputing the visibility is truly awesome. When I had the opportunity to purchase a friend's -7 QB kit I initially balked because it was a slider, having been spoiled by the tip up visibility. I couldn't resist because the price was right. I have been quite happy with the slider, and the addition of the Super Tracks mod is highly recommended. I always worried about a bird strike taking the whole tip up canopy out, whereas I believe the slider provides superior bird strike protection. I also have quick release pins on the forward rollers, as well as a Flyboys canopy breaker tool. The degree of difficulty regarding installation was equally challenging.
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017 170+ hrs.
IO-360M1B MT 3 blade, Dual AFS 5600.
1941 J3 Cub skis floats.
2019 dues gladly paid.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernliving View Post
Appears that the side-by-side sliders can also be opened in flight with not so desirable results.

https://generalaviationnews.com/2016...-consequences/
Here you go:

SC86 - Easley, SC
Old 10-27-2018, 08:49 AM

Let me be clear to say: I do not suggest anyone try this.
But, I can say for certain:
An RV 6 slider can be opened in flight without catastrophe.

Here is my experience: My friend who built the 6 said from his experience that if left open on takeoff, it won't budge either way.
On accident, I took off with the slider cracked. After climb out, I tried to close it. It would not budge either direction.
But, as I am also concerned with egress from a forced landing, I tried an experiment.
On very short final, 70 mph, i opened the canopy. It was not difficult to open at that speed. I did not have any pitch deviations. But what was very noticeable was the increase in drag. I think I even had to add a bit of power to offset.
My take away: it can be opened easily inflight at approach speed. But expect substantial increase in drag.

I have tried to come up with a wedge to shove into the track to keep it from slamming closed on impact, but have been unsuccessful in finding something.
If someone has an idea of some type of wedge, I'd be interested.

Again: I do not recommend what I did.