What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us the status of your 7/7A project!

Last edited:
Rudder Construction

Rudder is all drilled, de-burred and countersunk. Just need to prime the few non-alclad parts and then rivet it together.

IMG_0893.JPG

IMG_0894.JPG

just starting

tail kit arrived thursday and i started assembling the rear hs spar last night. sorry for the cell phone pics

Thanks for posting, Martin

I have been wondering what these actually look like installed. Are you pleased so far? Would you buy them again? I know it is still early and you aren't flying with them, but....

Thanks,

I have been wondering what these actually look like installed. Are you pleased so far? Would you buy them again? I know it is still early and you aren't flying with them, but....

Thanks,

They're easy to install. They're mighty bright. They're not cheap (about $900). They're well documented. They look like a well-made piece of aircraft hardware, built by people who care about and know what they're doing. In other words, you won't open the box and say "I paid $900 for this??" which is always a concern when I buy "homebuilt airplane" parts.

But they did make RF noise in a quick-and-dirty test. I held my VHF handheld near them, and they a) broke squelch albeit at a low setting, and b) prevented me from hearing the audio from a VOR 7 nm away...mind you, I'm in my basement (i.e. below ground level,) so take this with a grain of salt. I wouldn't be concerned at all if my VOR antennas weren't in my wingtips.

When I have a little time, I'll do a more scientific test.

Cheers,
Martin

neat bio

Dave, You need more goals. College, airplane project, starting a career, aerobatic competition. C'mon man, show some motivation! :)

Neat stuff.

Haha I'm trying too! Just added a few more things on my plate, I am now the OIC (officer in charge) of volunteering for race week here in Daytona for our battalion, including the 500, we will be the yahoos in green vests standing along the fence keeping rednecks from climbing it, oh ya and I'm taking 21 credits! Good thing I have another month till my wings get delivered! What's the point of living if you ain't living it up!!
Thanks for the support,
-David

BOOMER IS AT AIRPORT

Finally made it to the airport.
Will be flying by SATURDAY.

Come see me.
Hangar 13B GPM

Boomer

On the legs!

Yesterday my second -7 got to stand on his own legs!
Now to wheelpants and fairings.... and I'm soooo glad I'm not building a FG plane....

paint! ...started

I've been flying since March, but I had to punt on the Chino scheme. I put the plane in the paint shop this winter. By the time the good flying weather picks back up, I'll have a new plane. My next post will be on the "finished" thread!

Last edited:
My first status post...

After just under 50 hours of construction, I finished the HS.

The dogs flew!

1-23-10-020-large.jpg

Believe it or not, this is the best picture I could get out of about 10 tries. It took a lot of treats for them to agree to do this. Jack and Ginger doing what they do best...looking cute.

Last edited:
Feels good doesn't it!

Ryan,
I remember lowering myself into the seat for the first time like you did.
It felt really good although it seemed awkward getting in.

Now I can get in and it's just natural, like John Wayne getting on his horse.

Just keep at it and you will be flying before you know it!

Mark

Order my finishing kit today....WOOHOO :D:D

Getting the finishing kit is sort of a good "almost halfway" marker. It ought to be called the "you think your finishing" kit.

For curiousities sake, It took me 19 months between receiving the tail kit and receiving the finishing kit. I brought the plane to the airport 25 months later, flying 1 month after that.

It seems like you're cruising along pretty good, so maybe if you maintain your pace, you have 18-22 months before first flight. YMMV.

Great progress. Good Luck!

Don

Getting there...
1264362883.jpg

Looking good, Chris! Are the pants carbon also, or just a black primer? If carbon, did you just overlay the fiberglass, or make molds from the originals and make your own? You'll have to fly that thing up here for a weekend when I get to the point of working on the canopy fairings;)

Wings here

Wings are here. Doing inventory. FedEx Freight did a great job. No damage anywhere, arrived 10 minutes early for appointment, arrows were up!

Snapshot_20100202_1.jpg

Added some new wall art to the living room today.

A former member of our EAA chapter got transferred by the Air Force, and they wouldn't pay to move his airplane project, but they did move the parts he hung on the wall and called "art".;)

Very big day for me today, my Aerosport IO-360B1B showed up!!:D

engine1.JPG

The timing really couldn't be better.
engine2.JPG

ryan... wow! jeff... you will be flying in no time!

very impressive guys!

ryan - i can only imagine how you managed to get the wings on in such a tight space!

jeff - looking good!

I'm painting and the sense of excitement is finally back

dsc0009ks.jpg

A week in time should see the paint finished. Hope to be flying in a couple of months.....there is light!

WOW Jon, looks great, do you want to paint mine.....lol
Hope you may be able to fly up to Brisbane one day !

Thanks Jamie -

I spend a fair bit of time at Byron (when time permits) so you can bet I'll visit.

Heading north will be a given when winter sets back in.

Keep motivated.

Cheers,

JON

Black/Orange/Grey

Hi Jon,
Wow, I'm so pleased to see your colour scheme photo. It looks terrific. Can't wait to see the fuselage and tail.

I still haven't decided on the precise layout of my paint job but long ago decided on the colours involved - Black/Orange/Grey/White.

I used to fly an all black plane and it had definite advantages regards being seen against sky/cloud.
You just need to look at the photos of Rene's RV-7 in Holland to see that.
I am after a largely black profile when viewed from the front, sides and underneath but want to present a brightlly coloured view
from above to stand out against the ground. Based on what I can see so far of your paint job, your's very much looks like it will
satisfy my requirements.

When you're done I'm sure you'll be taking photos from all angles. I'd love to see them all.
If you get the time I'd appreciate you forwarding copies to me.

Cheers,
Steve

Hi Steve -

Thanks for the compliments - I'm really happy with how its coming up but it has been a lot of work all the same....

I'll post some pics of the finished job shortly - should be done in a couple of weeks.

In response to your comments:

The top of the wings and stab are as per the photo (stating the obvious!).

The leading edge and full underside of the wings and stabs are finished in a dark metallic gunmetal grey (Daytona Grey - its very dark, almost black with a hint of deep blue). The underside of the flaps, ailerons and elevators are finished in the orange (Solar Orange) with silver chequers (Aluminium Silver).

The fuse is finished in the solar orange however the rudder is Daytona Grey with silver chequers.

Wheel Spats and gearleg fairings are Dayton Grey.

The three colours are all from the Audi car range (Solar Orange, Daytona Grey, Aluminium Silver). I am using a PPG Deltron Automotive paint system finished with PPG Two Pack clear topcoat. Primer is BMS 1079.

I looked at many different paint jobs before designing my scheme and it was tempting to paint the whole thing in Daytona Grey and keep it simple. That said I decided I didn't want too much dark colour on the top sides and fuselage because I will be regularly visiting the Australian outback and it gets VERY hot out there.

I thrashed a lot of ideas around but essentially i decided that bright colours were the safest (its a small plane and its fast) and I wanted other pilots to be able to see me easily. If I ever went down somewhere (touch wood) I figured it would be easier to locate in bright colours....no one is going to find a black aeroplane in a heavy wooded area no matter how hard they try.

Other than that I just wanted it to be unique and very modern / racy in a graphic sense. It's a toy after all!

Cheers,

JON.

Have since added some screen shots to illustrate comments above...

screenshot005yk.png

screenshot008cx.png

screenshot007f.png

Last edited:
Just gets better and better!

Hi Jon,
Thank you for posting the design screen shots. It just gets better and better!
I find your scheme really intriguing. It is both complex yet, at the same time, clean.

When the time comes I just might have to rip-off some of your ideas!
I hope you wouldn't mind :)

For it to look 'right' I had always figured I needed to have the bottom of the fuse the same colour as the bottom of the wings. But your design shows that not to be the case.

Cheers,

Engine Hung

My flying friends Dave and Robert came over today and helped me hang my engine. I bribed them with pizza and beer, but you know what? They would have came anyway. They have both helped me so much on this dream. Thanks again guys!

Dsc_0781.jpg

Dsc_0799.jpg

Hi Jon,
Thank you for posting the design screen shots. It just gets better and better!
I find your scheme really intriguing. It is both complex yet, at the same time, clean.

When the time comes I just might have to rip-off some of your ideas!
I hope you wouldn't mind :)

For it to look 'right' I had always figured I needed to have the bottom of the fuse the same colour as the bottom of the wings. But your design shows that not to be the case.

Cheers,

Thanks Steve -

It's that fine balance between detail and simplicity that makes it so hard to finally commit and say....yep, that's it!

You are welcome to use my scheme...it's great to see it appreciated.

I look forward to seeing your interpretation....

In regards to my scheme - The chequers look great on the bottom of the flaps, aeilerons and elevators but to be honest I think the scheme would look just as good if they were finished in the dark metallic grey. They added a fair bit of work to the job so if you are looking to cut any corners and save some time/effort that might be where to do it.

I've been out at the hangar today - all progressing well. With a bit of luck I'll have some finished shots posted in about two or three weeks time...

Cheers

JON.

Jeff,

Your engine looks BEAUTIFUL! Can't wait until I'm that far along. Your whole project looks very clean and nicely done.

This is such an inspiring thread, for those like me who are working towards starting to build. To all the posters here, nice work! :)

N159SB almost an airplane!!!

After almost 10 years since starting the project...

About 3 years and 9 months of contiguous work nights and weekends, N159SB's inspection is sceduled for 10AM on 3/13/2010!!!!!

The emp is green because I had to primer it since it took me 10 years to get around to needing it....
:D

1zwwuq.jpg

Professional paint job will follow much flying this year!!!!

npkt2u.jpg

Today N159SB became an airplane!!!
I now have a pink slip!!! :D

2a4sec3.jpg

No problems with the inspection or paperwork but you know your in for a bunch of that when the DAR gets out of the truck with his own copy machine!!!! :eek:

Attaboy

Congratulations, Brantel!

So good to see you get "the slip". Let us know how the first flight went.

Back