What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us the status of your 7/7A project!

Michael,

I noticed that not a lot of people have "during" photos of this step on their log because of the "mess." (It's really not that much of a mess.)

I tried to capture some (but also couldn't get a lot).

It wasn't has hard as people say, but I did change my gloves every few minutes (used about 8 pairs).

The proseal part starts about halfway down the page.

Hope this helps:

http://n999za.wordpress.com/2010/03/28/more-trailing-edge-work/

what a day..!

Interior paint was finished..Fuselage is 98% finished...and my Finishing Kit just arrived.

I wish this meant I was nearly finished though..still the motor and prop spiny thing and those fancy gadgets for the panel..:D:D:D

P1010682.JPG

P1010683.JPG

P1010684.JPG

Installed brakes for the last time..(i hope)..recently..Thanks Bonaco for the brakes lines, made it much easier, and ordered the springs from Mcmastercarr.
P1010700.JPG

P1010701.JPG

also started working on the forward deck and panel..
P1010698.JPG

P1010706.JPG

For anyone thinking of doing the paint themselves, be forewarned. It is a lot of work! I had the wings in pretty good shape prior to hauling them to the paint shop...ok thought I had them close. My painter friend said "wow good job". "now lets clean them, scuff, degrease, tape, clean , wipe down..rinse & repeat." then we'll do the other wing!

And although I wanted to do the actual spraying, I also want a very good job. So I decided to let the Corky shoot them. After seeing how they turned out, I am thrilled.

wing 2 in primer
RV-7build669.jpg

Finish-kit finito!

Hi all.

Yesterday, my eight- (!) -man building-team and and me completed the very last items on the finishkit, so now ALL the parts we've gotten from Vans is done! (the ldg gear is also done ofcourse, even though it isn't on the pic.)

This concludes this winters building season (we only build from Oct until May) so now, I've granted my crew their usual 5 (!) month summer vacation.

In Oct, we''ll start installing the engine, wiring and instruments.

Here we are at the local grass-strip close to my house on Thursday last week:

You can just see the nose of my flying -7.
The beautiful -4 in the background was built in 10 years by Einar Bjørnebekk and flew for approx 6 yrs ago.
It's now co-owned by Per Strømmen and another member of the local flying club.

From the left:
Odd Sandvik, retired fighter pilot Norwegian Air Force (F-84, F-86, F-104, Jaguar and helo-driver in the North Sea)
Arne Ingvaldsen, retired No AF radio technican
Erling Olsen, retired No AF engine mechanic
Eivind Vinje, retired No AF aircraft electrical technican
Per Strømmen, retired No AF fighter pilot (F-5, F-16) and retired commercial pilot from SAS (F-28, B-737, Airbus 330 and 340) and in addition to the RV-4, he's now co-owning and flying a veteran jet: Vampire!
Yours truly, retired fighter pilot No AF (F-5, F-16) now flying commercial in the SAS: B-737, retiring in October :)

The last three where not present:
Kjell Nøstdal, retired No AF technican and also the inspector for both the RV projects
Roald Kilmark, retired No AF technican
Reidar Bjåland, retired No AF technican

For the record: normally we are "only" four man working on the RV at the same day... (2+2) because 8 men working at the same time on the same RV would be rather difficult to say the least.. ;-)
yeah... I'm know I'm a really lucky RV-builder....

Let the Norwegain summer begin...

Last edited:
Since I am now an Embry Riddle Graduate, I moved back to north Texas and spent 2 full days setting up the new shop, As soon as the shop was done I assembled the wings for the first time, Man this thing is cool!!

Before

IMG_8088.jpg

After

IMG_8094.jpg

Wing Assembly!

IMG_8107.jpg

-david

David,

I'm a fellow Embry-Ribble alumni from the Prescott campus building an RV. I'm also in Texas (Sachse) between Murphy, Wylie, and Garland. Feel free to contact me any time!

Rudder Trailing Edge

This was a bit messy, but as you all had indicated, not as bad as I originally thought. Thanks to my Mom and my brother for their help, I couldn't have done it without them.

I ended up just drilling the trailing edge of the rudder directly to my work bench. I had bought a long steel angle that I was intent on using, but I couldn't get it even and level with the rest of the work bench.

I bought four, ten pound bags of shot at the local outdoors store. That stuff is surprisingly expensive. I used the shot to weight the rudder down, and hopefully hold everything nice and square while the trailing edge "glue" sets up.

100415%20Drilling%20Rudder%20Trailing%20Edge%20to%20Bench%202.JPG

Mixing the two part firewall sealant was easy, but tiring. At my work, we use a similar product and have the nice electric mixer for this chore. My hands were quite sore after the mixing. I think I did a pretty thorough job of it. Mom and brother held the AEX wedge while I slathered sealant on both sides. Then they helped hold the trailing edge apart as I slid the wedge into place.

100416%20Gluing%20Rudder%20Trailing%202.JPG

My brother helped Cleco the trailing edge down to the bench, and I started to "cleanup" some of the oozing sealant. I quickly discovered that it would be far easier to allow the sealant to cure and then trim the oozing with a razor. So now, I'm just waited for the sealant to cure, and then I will begin the double flush riveting.

100416%20Gluing%20Rudder%20Trailing%207.JPG

David,

I'm a fellow Embry-Ribble alumni from the Prescott campus building an RV. I'm also in Texas (Sachse) between Murphy, Wylie, and Garland. Feel free to contact me any time!

David and Colin,

Keep it up it is worth it.
Give me a call sometime or come
visit and I can give you some
motivation.

Boomer
SOON to be flying.:D

so close

Congrats Chad on making that really expensive airport vehicle for getting around on the ramp.

It looks great. When you gonna make an honest bird outta that thing?

LOL! Good one Don! Hadn't thought of it that way before! :D

My best prediction right now, is that it will fly within the next two months...;) :cool:

closing in on starting the engine...

at 1,850 hours just about ready to focus on getting to first engine start... looks like another 100 hours or so.

img5075.jpg

first removal of the protective wrap on the canopy; the plexiglass looks amazing.
img5071o.jpg

Looking great Stephen! I sure hope to swing by during the Arlington flyin and see that thing.

1850 hours? Man am I slow.:rolleyes:

Well I won't call it a "final" count yet...I expect that there will be some misc. riveting to be done, nut plates and such, but up to the last skin, it's 16,225.:D
No wonder I needed to have my thumb joint replaced. Those 16,225 rivets did it in. :(

Awesome

Congrats, Chad. I've been following your progress and am looking forward to seeing your first flight.

Keep up the good work!

Yep.. Bekah wanted me to show some excitment and the RV Grin.... so I did my best.

On the left wing is a terminal block with Fast-On connectors. Wiring is not connected yet and I will wait until I test fit the wing to make sure I get it all in the correct orientation..

Thx

molex

Y
On the left wing is a terminal block with Fast-On connectors. Wiring is not connected yet and I will wait until I test fit the wing to make sure I get it all in the correct orientation..
Thx

Any reason why you wouldn't use a molex connector?

Good luck.

Don

Personal preference I guess. Still experimenting myself with options, but I like the flexibility and how the fast-ons work. Molex is a different option that others use with no issues.

Empennage Mounted to the Fuselage

I reached an exciting milestone over the last week. I mounted the empennage on the fuselage for the first time! It's so much fun putting big pieces of the airplane together. Visitors who come by now say "Wow! It looks like an airplane!" Took the words right out of my mouth. :)

100_7887%20(Small).JPG

I'm always amazed how the rudder doubles the size of the tail. I hooked up the elevator pushrod. It's fun to walk to the front, reach in the cabin and grab the control stick and move the elevators up and down. I know it sounds silly, but it's fun. It must be a rite of passage after all this work, right?

100_7884%20(Small).JPG

I have more pics and a lot more detail on my website. The mating of the wings will come soon!

starting slowly working on the canopy cutting...got the first done with no prob. BIG CUT coming soon.
P1010776.JPG

P1010777.JPG

Also recently finished my panels on the forward skin. They came out great and were lots more work than I had expected.

P1010764.JPG

P1010760.JPG

And was able to convince my wife that it was time to rivet the aft top skin on...she shot, I bucked.

P1010756.JPG

P1010755.JPG

First Engine Start

Quick update....

Fired up my engine for the first time on Saturday. After a couple of squirts of the fuel pump my Aerosport IO-360M1 fired into action and ran OH SO SWEET..

No leaks etc so I was very happy.....that said, a bit of work to do on my GRT EIS and EFIS settings so I get accurate readings.

Weighed in at 1162lbs empty.

Now on the home straight.....first flight expected in a few weeks.

Here's a recent photo of my baby on the ramp wearing most of her outfit....

dsc0020ov.jpg

Riveted the aft top skin on!

In preparation for drilling/installing the aft canopy. Of course, there's probably a million reasons to leave the aft canopy off, most of them having to do with the contortions necessary to get down the Jeffries Tube for wiring, etc. but I'm OK with some RV yoga now and then. Plus, it's never too early to start learning to bring everything you need with you to work on something that might as well be 100 miles from the toolbox or the parts shelf.
topSkinOn.jpg

That 'REDO' marked on the blue plastic was redone before the photo was taken.

Jeff,

Take others advice and go ahead and install a thick angle on the corner that the oil cooler is mounted on and install a diagonal brace to stiffen the inside of the oil cooler mount.

Otherwise I can tell you that you most likely will see cracks there in a short time!!!

Almost done with the sheet metal parts, thank God! :rolleyes:

baffling.jpg

Thanks Brian. Ya when I saw your cracked baffling post I decided to do just that. I do have a beefy angle installed at the corner (hard to see in this pic) and and I left the top oil cooler nutplate off so I can install a gusset to the top center valve cover bolt.

SOME NIGHTS ARE BIG NIGHTS...TONIGHT WAS ONE OF THEM. I FINALLY MADE...."THE BIG CUT"....SUCCESSFULLY I MIGHT ADD.

P1010778.JPG

P1010779.JPG

Didn you leave enough room under the back part of the roll bar brace to slide the plexi under the skin?

Top rear center of the rear window

Ryan,
GASMANs talking about the gap between the skin and the rear end of the canopy bow brace. I am nearly at the same state of construction as you.

If you build by the plans, this gap is not adjustable. The Service Bulletin for this area (already included in kits a long time ago) fixes the gap via 1/8" reinforcement plate full of rivets at the rear of the brace.

I have not seen or heard any screaming about this gap being wrong on VAF, so I am not concerned yet. It would be an annoyance to have to adjust it now after doing the structural fabrication.

Last edited:
Back