What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help Please !! AOA "Sport" Calibration

taverroi

Well Known Member
Ok, so I have a Sport AOA in my new 6A that is definately out of calibration. It barks at me with "angle angle push" on take off and when landing with an indicated are speed of 85kts. Its definately wrong.

There is a red and black button that goes with it or operates it, I believe on the panel but I have'nt a clue what the push sequence is for a new calibration or better yet the flight procedure for doing so. Can anyone on here give me some directions as to how they did there's. In addition how can I shut her up when she irroniously goes off or can I shut it off completely until I'm ready to calibrate it?

Help if you can. Fire away.

Tango

Ok, so I have a Sport AOA in my new 6A that is definately out of calibration. It barks at me with "angle angle push" on take off and when landing with an indicated are speed of 85kts. Its definately wrong.

There is a red and black button that goes with it or operates it, I believe on the panel but I have'nt a clue what the push sequence is for a new calibration or better yet the flight procedure for doing so. Can anyone on here give me some directions as to how they did there's. In addition how can I shut her up when she irroniously goes off or can I shut it off completely until I'm ready to calibrate it?

Help if you can. Fire away.

Tango

This should get you to the manual
http://www.advanced-flight-systems.com/Support/AOAsupport/AOA Manual rev4.pdf

If it was shipped with RV data you should be able to use this to verify it:

http://www.advanced-flight-systems.com/Support/AOAsupport/Verification%20CL.pdf

or you can reprogram it using this:

http://www.advanced-flight-systems.com/Support/AOAsupport/Sport_cklst.doc

If it has RV data installed and it is not working it is almost always one of the following:

1. Port not connected correct
2. Port crimped or plugged, tie strap too tight?
3. Port leaking around wing skin.
4. Pitot static not connected correctly.

If you press both buttons at the same time it will be in calibration mode and will not have audio warnings in flight. Dont press the red button in calinbration mode or you will reprogram it.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Ok, got it.

I'll follow these instructions and see what gives.

Thanks for all your help.

Tango

What to do? This or that?..Somebody's got to know.

Ok,..2 Questions.

Ive been studying the manual for AOA calibration. Slightly confused in two small areas.

1. The manual says: After entering the '"zero g" page to press and hold the red button, then enter the zero g manuver..at zero g release the button.

But the half sheet calibration page that is used in the plane to accomplish this says: Enter the "zero g" manuver..at zero g ,THEN press and release the red button.

So the question is: Which is it? Or does it matter? They seem to slightly contradict each other.

2. My 6A does not have a flap switch and of course is fixed gear...so, again the manual says to perform the calibration of the AOA annuciation page in the "cruise configuration" at 1.15 times the stall speed, then to the memory page and save all that you have done.. thats no problem..But then it goes on to say: Then configure the plane in the "landing configuration" flaps down and repeat the entire calibration process again. why would I do that? Do i need to do this if I dont have a flap switch installed? Is my cruise configuration calibration enough? Does the AOA know that I have flaps down if I dont have a flap switch installed? and if it does wont recalibrating in the landing conf overight the calibration in the cruise configuration? Im totally confused on this matter...Please advise

Tango

I'd personally install the flap switch. The unit has two different calibrations, one for flaps up one for flaps down. It has no way to know what the position of the flaps are except with the switch.

If you don't install the flap switch then you can either calibrate the unit in cruise configuration or landing configuration (i.e. flaps down). It'll work well for the configuration that you choose and not so well (or at all) for the other configuration.

As far as how to push the red button, it doesn't matter. The magic happens when you release it. Whether or not you have been holding it down doesn't really matter. At least that is how I remember it. If I'm wrong somebody correct me.

I would second the opinion to install a flap switch. Contrary to what many people think when you deploy trailing edge flaps on almost all aircraft the AOA at which the aircraft will stall decreases. That would mean if you set it up for cruise only you will not have a proper warning with the flaps extended. The opposite occurs with leading edge devices. When they are deployed the stalling AOL increases.
During trailing edge deployment however the coefficient of lift at a given AOA increases which is why you can fly slower even with a lower stalling AOA. Leading edge devices do not normally have much effect on the COL at a specific AOA however you can fly at a much higher AOA. Adding leading edge devices gives you the best of both worlds. You get a higher coefficient of lift from the flaps and gain back the ability to fly at higher AOA's with the slats.
Anyone for a slatted RV? I wonder what the approach speed would be. They could be simple aerodynamic slats like the A4 skyhawk or the Saberliner!!!!

George

Thanks for the info.

I'll have to elect, at this point, not to install a flap switch.

With the decision not to install the flap switch, if I'm understanding correctly, I should forgo the calibration in cruise configuration all together and just walk throught the initial calibration steps in the landing configuration. Since I have no way of telling the unit what conf I'm in. Correct?

Now that brings up another quick question. If a flap switch was installed it would tell the AOA unit by its activation that flaps have been deployed. Does that then make the AOA enter into a special and specific calibration mode for a landing conf? Or does it really just seperated in the brain of the AOA what conf I'm in so it knows what data pressures to use and when to bark at me?

I'm thinking that if I only calibrate one or the other conf (and it will be the landing conf) that the AOA just knows of that conf and uses the only pressure data in memory to know when to bark. Am I thinking correctly?

Thanks for ya'lls help.

Tango

You need to install the flap switch, the AOA calculations are very different with the flaps up and down.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems

Ok, assuming the install of a flap switch, does the "zero g" manuever need to be done again with the flaps down for proper AOA calibration in the Landing conf.? Or can the data used in the cruise conf for the Hanger Cal page, and zero g page be used?

Rob, I still need you to call me if your willing please.

Tim

Ok, assuming the install of a flap switch, does the "zero g" manuever need to be done again with the flaps down for proper AOA calibration in the Landing conf.? Or can the data used in the cruise conf for the Hanger Cal page, and zero g page be used?

I have the old AoA sport with the two buttons. Not an intuitive interface for calibrating the unit, but it works. I only did the zero G maneuver with the flaps up. From memory, this is what I did:

1. Hangar calibration. Saved the settings and turned everything off.
2. Went flying with a buddy. Did the zero G maneuver. We had some fuzzy dice hanging from the panel to indicate zero G. Good fun! Saved the settings in flight.
3. Went flying later and did the slow flight with the flaps up and flaps down. Saved the settings.

I did the calibration a number of times before it actually worked as I had the wing ports connected backwards.

Thanks James. It is as I thought. Can you tell me where you installed your flap switch?

Rob, still need to speak with you if your willing. Call me if you can. 843-575-8811

Thanks James. It is as I thought. Can you tell me where you installed your flap switch?

My flap switch is installed on the pilot side baggage compartment. There's an access panel to get to the arm that pushes the flap down. There are a variety of ways to do it... If you have a flap position indicator, that can potentially be used.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=51665
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=26659

Hope that helps!

Back