What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Group Project: Designing the RV-13

....I'm reffering to an STOL aircraft, simply to get access to grass strips and short runways safely.....

Except for off-airport locations and private strips, many of those are quite accessible for RVs. In fact, the first two RVs I ever saw were up in the Idaho back country.

C'mon, folks, the RVs are entirely adequate for most of the bush flying needs expressed in this discussion. All it takes is a bit of practice and some specialized knowledge. The planes are fine.

Dave
P.S. Regarding the photo in the previous posting, in my old line of work we'd call that a structural canopy. And we'd wonder if the spar had a cut-out for the pilot's head, or whether the pilots head had a cut-out for the spar. Pretty picture, though, got to admit!

Last edited:
I would really like to see a high wing RV as well. It would have to be available as a tail-dragger though. ;)

High wing RV

I have seen a taildragger that had RV wings and it was an overhead wing configuration. It has been done, although I have only ever seen one and that was a for sale ad. It was an aerobatic wing. I think a RV9 wing would be best for a bush plane of the wings available now. We need an aluminum sportstar.

I'm reffering to an STOL aircraft, simply to get access to grass strips and short runways safely.
STOL stands for Short TakeOff and Landing right?

An RV-9 with 118 hp engine can take off and land in less than 550 feet at gross weight. How much shorter do you want? Where I come from if there is a grass strip shorter than 550 feet, we call that a back yard.

If you want a bush plane for landing on gravel bars and unimproved tundra, then that's cool but you can't say you want a plane capable of getting you into grass strips and short runways because it already exists.

RV-13

Van doesn't build boring aircraft. This is how I picture the future RV-13.
15ka3d.jpg

Yes, it's a jet. Even if you scoff, you know you'd like to fly it.

Specifically, for the next RV, I would want a high wing, tandem seats, an RV-9 airfoil, beefed up landing gear, Super Cub like performance on the low end, and a decent cruise speed. I'm not sure if it would be achievable, but you can always dream. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
RV-13 finally revealed

The question that has long been asked about the mysterious RV-13 has now been answered. It seems that the formerly top secret design has now been declassified by Van's Skunkworks and quietly added to the current plans lineup. Looks like a top performer! No word yet as to when production will commence, most likely because the factory is still busy clearing their stocks of obsolete RV-14's and older models before officially announcing the latest quantum leap in total performance. :D

15019174357_f2885381d6_z.jpg

Since someone kicked Rip....

As long as we're brainstorming here, did anyone else see the "Snap!" at Oshkosh? it spent most of the time in front of the IAC HQ, but started out in the LSA area becasue, well, it's an LSA that looks liek an Extra!! Supposd to be availabel in 2012, made in france - LSA, but fully aerobatuc, single seat. The bad news - they are projecting a price of $180,000!! Silly....don't you think Van could do a kit for much less?

So...a very light, fully aerobatic LSA - no travel capability, inverted airfoil, +/-9 G's....it'd be better than an RV-3 for pure Acro - and would complement that electric Motorglider that I want for the peaceful times.....

Paul
I went back and looked at the last few pages of this thread (never kept up with it back when it was active).

Paul's post caught my eye; it triggered an idea that combines parts of both his wish-planes: an electric acro LSA. Short flight time fits both the acro mission and current art in electric propulsion. Batteries distributed along the wing spars would mean lower structural loads, lowering overall weight. No requirement for an inverted fuel system, lowering weight. Torque curve slanted to the lower rpms, increasing low speed performance with fixed pitch prop. Etc etc.

And *really* cheap operation. Right now (retired), my biggest impediment to daily afternoon flights is seeing a $20 (or $50) bill disappearing every time I crank the engine on my already-paid-for RV-4. Seeing that shrink to maybe $5 would make me fly a lot more often.

It's financially irrational, but for me, once a toy is paid for, it is no longer an expense. But *using* the toy triggers a real, easily countable expense that's coming out of current (limited) income. So minimizing direct operating costs while maintaining the fun factor would mean a lot to me.

Charlie

Electric

It is no doubt on the way. I have been mulling this over in my mind for a while also. Most of the RV crowd is wanting to be able to "go somewhere" but seems like the low and slow ultralight crowd and aerobatic group could benefit.

I was thinking more along the lines of an electric Double Eagle. Open cockpit high wing taildragger.

Shucks, Weasel, just do it. The electric motors & controllers are already out there, so if you have the airframe you want, you're 80% done.

Y'all doing the Pisgah poker run on the 20th?

Charlie

Shucks, Weasel, just do it. The electric motors & controllers are already out there, so if you have the airframe you want, you're 80% done.

Y'all doing the Pisgah poker run on the 20th?

Charlie

The Classic currently is really economical to operate. I usually have it cut way back and just ride around about 55-60 MPH.

There is an entirely different dimension of flying out there that I think a lot of people here would appreciate if only they would taste it.

I put over 50 hrs on the open cockpit biplane in the last 10 months just flying in the evenings after work and weekends.

I think it would be lucrative for VANS Aircraft to design an open cockpit slow flight, airplane.

No cant make it to Pisgah, our eaa meeting is moved to that date. Everyone is welcome here.

My trek for aircraft selection is having me eyeing the Sling 4 right now ... looks like a great airplane, just under powered.

I still think there's a niche for a more affordable, slightly less high-performance airplane than the RV-10 in terms of home-built 4 seaters (Even if it's a 2+2, or a 4 seater than really takes 3, etc ...).

Take the Sling 4, hang a Mogas friendly lycoming on it, make it with solid flush rivets, increase fuel capacity, and voila ...

bushplane- why wait for vans? there are so many good ones. great company of course but aren't there plenty to choose from? i think thats why they haven't- you have to differentiate yourself to sell something...

I would love a 6 seat but i can't afford the 10 so it wouldn't happen for me anyway. I'll have to settle with a partnership in a 206 or 210.. plus its probably better that way- its not your everyday ship.

my next project is an ultralight or just above that sized solo bush plane in the 15k or less category. keeping it cheap and close to home. love my rv but there are a LOT of aircraft out there that don't require all your money to fly in style

My guess

It'll be a tail dragger Rv-12 spin off - maybe the newer Rotax or a small lycoming/conti. Different, much cooler looking fuselage. Wings mounted 'permanently and aerobatic stressed. Fuel inside of the wings.

Sort of a mini-Rocket. Mine would have lights, a three bladed prop and a good glass panel with auto pilot.

This is a 7 year old thread :) I think the -9/-7/-14 and the -10 combined covers about 80-90 % of all private flying. Then the -4/-8 another 10-20. The -12 takes up 10-20 and the -3 maybe 5-10%. The math doesn't add up, but there is not much Van's can do without competing with it's own designs.

So it has to be something new. A re-design of the -3, laser cut parts etc, and made for the ULPower engine or D-motor. Maybe just a redesigned FW Fwd for some of them and using the WAM diesel ?

Maybe also just a "face lift". All the RVs look a bit dated and "bad taste"/boring, except for the -3/-4/-8 with their more classic appearances.

But the real thing would be an all electric aircraft. A cool one, like the E-fan, but all metal kit.

airbus-reveals-an-electric-plane-that-could-make-flying-a-lot-cheaper.jpg

But the real thing would be an all electric aircraft. A cool one, like the E-fan, but all metal kit.

airbus-reveals-an-electric-plane-that-could-make-flying-a-lot-cheaper.jpg

One better - Bypass the batteries completely. A firm in New Jersey by the name of Blacklight Power estimates that by Nov-Dec of this year they will have developed a very interesting (read "unproven") 100kW prototype power unit. Probably won't pan out for numerous reasons, but interesting to watch.

Last edited:
Back