What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Group Project: Designing the RV-13

Bill - That's what I was afraid of :eek:

DJ - That Lightening is a sharp litle plane - the painting/covering on its tip up canopy looks like it adheres to the KISS method...Keep It Simple Scott :D

Thanks
Scott

Bill - That's what I was afraid of :eek:
Scott,

That's not the hole story though. Since the -10 kit is better as are the instructions, total build time might actually be less than a -7, -8, or -9. Just your hours are moving from aluminum work to fiberglass. So, if Van's re-engineered the -7 and -9 kits to be like the -10, net-net, you might gain.

Kill 2 birds...

... With one stone!

The new RV-13: Revisit the single seater again. Complete rewrite of the construction manuals and program the CNC machines and Viola! RV-13 = RV-3C!!!:D

Glider anyone?

I'd be happy with a tandem motorglider. Better yet, make it a 4 place motorglider with a 32:1 L/D ratio that will fit in a 40' T hanger

I second (or third, or fourth) the idea of a high-wing bush plane. If such had been available (in aluminum), I would have jumped at the opportunity, particularly if it had reasonable fuel consumption (O-320 or O360).

greg

You're describing the Murphy Moose or Rebel.

Something for big guys would be nice. People with inseams of 34" plus and size 13 sneakers sure get tired of riding around with their knees in the air.

I'd like nothing more exotic than a larger version of the -7. Add six to 12 inches in width between the longerons, another six inches between the seat back and the rudder pedals, and hang an IO-540. Additional baggage space would be a gimme.

They could do most of it with the "scale" command in AutoCad and start cutting parts.

RV-13

Single place turtleback RV-8 fuse, -6 wings, Turboed IO-390, Aux tank behind pilot... 7 hr range at 200Kts., or great acro... Make it look as much like a P-51 as possible.

Jerry

PS Let's don't call it a -13 tho. Unlucky.

RV-13

I would like to see something like a Mooney Mite,(single Place) with a larger cockpit for us taller type guys
Maybe two versions. One for light sport (low HP and longer wing) and one with higher HP and shorter wing.
Could use a 4 cylinder LOM engine.

Gerry Clabots
RV-7A N742GC
Slider SB TMX O-360 FP
85 Hours

Juice me!

I WANT AN ELECTRIC AIRPLANE. GIMME MY ELECTRIC AIRPLANE! If someone doesn't get it right soon, I'm gonna do it myself. How hard can it be? You just need to think "spar battery" & "seat battery" & "floor batteries that can't burn". Who cares about configuration? It's all been done. Remember lancers? Flying bathtubs? Twin Navions? Or even worse, Twin bees. I know a guy was gonna build a twin RV4. He bought twin commie wings & his first move was to chop the spars. Then he decided he didn't quite know what he was doing, so he quit. If anyone wants a pair of short-spar twin comanche wings, I think I can get 'em cheap. He has a nice drawing called the Comanchero.

This is really not about an RV-13, it is about what is your dream airplane.

I have thought alot about what my next sport airplane will be... I have a Baron for hauling the wife, but for my own personal chariot, I still see no viable replacement for the EVO Rocket.

There is alot of discussion about a retractable Rocket version, and it would be incredibly cool, but if an EVO Rocket goes any faster then the Wing area has to be reduced. It would be too fragile and ride too hard in the bumps.

Reduce the wing area to raise the stall speed, and then I gotta start asking myself if i want to fly it at night or over any kind of hostile terrain, day or night.....

I have said it before here, I really don't know where to go from an EVO Rocket. It pushes the single engine sport plane & X/C cruiser pretty close to the limits......

I will be interested to see if the Czechs bring the M1 to Oshkosh this year..... http://www.hpa-international.com/pdf/m1.pdf

I won't perform any better than the F1, but having room, and heat, for a passenger might get my wife in it..... I would sure miss sitting on the Centerline however.... The metal cowling on the prototype, while impressive, is pretty ugly....

Tailwinds,
Doug Rozendaal
F1 EVO

Come come now folks...all this talk of high wing bush planes, twins, etc...from Vans?

Would you really expect Ferrari to design your next station wagon?!?;):p

But what a station wagon it would be if Vans did it:
Vans Kit Pricing of +/- $20K vs sportman +/- $50K
Vans Reputation, and a all metal kit we RV'ers know how to build.

I agree with a 2+2 High wing 180-210HP bushlane!
I think it will really be popular!

Regards
Rudi

Last edited:
RV-13

I think my RV-13 would have to be a more refined, more powerful, faster, aerobatic, probably retract Super -7. Just think....300+ HP, super cruiser, higher aspect ratio wing......a higher end RV. Perhaps a Mercedes-Benz 500 SEL w/ wings....maybe not quite the price.

Glenn Wilkinson

I WANT AN ELECTRIC AIRPLANE. GIMME MY ELECTRIC AIRPLANE! If someone doesn't get it right soon, I'm gonna do it myself. How hard can it be? You just need to think "spar battery" & "seat battery" & "floor batteries that can't burn".

Sonex has demoed an electric Waiex.

I'd like to see either a faster 10, something akin to an aluminum Lancair IV, or a 4 seat cross-country motor-glider.

6-seat RV

How about a 6-seat RV? A cross between the space of a Cherokee 6/6X with the speed of a Bonzanza A36.

Bill Swatling
RV-7: getting back work on fuselage center section

Focus

Well, we have certainly narrowed this down to something between a paraglider and an X-15! :D:D

First off you skip the -13 and make it a -14. Then you either go for a small niche market like many of the ideas mentioned or you expand it to something that has adequate market reach.

I'm another supporter of a tandem LSA, with aerobatic capability if possible (i haven't studied the rules enough to see if aerobatics are allowed).

Something we can fly on a Cessna 150 budget, but looks and flies more like a mini RV-4/8. Something small, light, and efficient (RV-12) but still exciting and with the 3rd wheel in the correct location (tail...)

I'm another supporter of a tandem LSA, with aerobatic capability if possible (i haven't studied the rules enough to see if aerobatics are allowed).

Something we can fly on a Cessna 150 budget, but looks and flies more like a mini RV-4/8. Something small, light, and efficient (RV-12) but still exciting and with the 3rd wheel in the correct location (tail...)

That would be neat... something like a modern LSA version of the PT-19. Open cockpit, wind in your hair, Aerobatic (no LSA limits on that btw) 100 - 110 kt. cruise... THAT would be COOL! :)

DJ

That would be neat... something like a modern LSA version of the PT-19. Open cockpit, wind in your hair, Aerobatic (no LSA limits on that btw) 100 - 110 kt. cruise... THAT would be COOL! :)

DJ

exactly! good to see others in agreement! :)

rv-10 twin....

Hey everyone, this is my first post. This is how i imagine an RV-13 :D
I spent about an hour or two on it, and its not perfect, but you get they idea. Hope this works
my.php

Maybe the KK1 (1-09 KITPLANES) would be fitting. A cheap local flyier. I would build anything that Ken designes.

ssssretcheddddd

Wow a streched 9! Enough room and carrying capacity for two adults (one perhaps oversized) and two sets of golf clubs! Sold!

Bob

Last edited:
RV X

I think if Van and his merry men are short of something to design they should consider a Tow Plane for gliders. I am sure there is a reasonable market for an experimental tow plane that members of a gliding club could build, maintain and operate. Here in Europe the gliding movement is quite strong. However there is an aging fleet of tow planes most of which are no longer in production. As they are all certified airplanes they need qualified mechanics to maintain them. This means they are very expensive to operated. Obviously the folks in Oregon are the highly qualified designers but possibly something based around a beefed up RV8 with a new wing would be worth considering.

Barry

stretched 9...also

Wow a streched 9! Enough room and carrying capacity for two adults (one perhaps oversized) and two sets of golf clubs! Sold!
Me too, a larger 9 would be nice, sacrifice a little speed for weight and room,
2" wider and possible third person/Skis/kitchen sink

Econo-10

I'd like to see an RV-10 variation with some longer wings, and optimized for 180-200 HP.

I think if Van and his merry men are short of something to design they should consider a Tow Plane for gliders. I am sure there is a reasonable market for an experimental tow plane that members of a gliding club could build, maintain and operate. Here in Europe the gliding movement is quite strong. However there is an aging fleet of tow planes most of which are no longer in production. As they are all certified airplanes they need qualified mechanics to maintain them. This means they are very expensive to operated. Obviously the folks in Oregon are the highly qualified designers but possibly something based around a beefed up RV8 with a new wing would be worth considering.

For whatever reason, here in the States the canned operating limitations that everyone receives states that the airplane may not be used for glider towing or banner towing. Even airplane which should be perfectly capable of towing get those limitations. I'm not sure how that would change if the airplane was purpose-built for towing.

I'd like to see an RV-10 variation with some longer wings, and optimized for 180-200 HP.
Jonathan,

The -10 was designed for engines between 200 to 260 HP. Van's built and flew one powered by the 210 hp IO-360 Continental engine.

Here are a two links:

http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv-10int1.htm
http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv-10int_b.htm

Does anyone know if/why Van's dropped this option? I'm thinking there might not be much cost difference between the Conti and the Lyc but don't really know.

Last edited:
Jonathan,

The -10 was designed for engines between 200 to 260 HP. Van's built and flew one powered by the 210 hp IO-360 Continental engine.

Here are a two links:

http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv-10int1.htm
http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv-10int_b.htm

Does anyone know if/why Van's dropped this option? I'm thinking there might not be much cost difference between the Conti and the Lyc but don't really know.

Yes, I've seen that info. Trouble is, 210 HP seems to be the "recommended" minimum and apparently the 210 HP option isn't so well supported.

I would like to see one designed for an engine solidy in the Lyc. O-360 class, to save the COST and WEIGHT.

snip... I would like to see one designed for an engine solidy in the Lyc. O-360 class, to save the COST and WEIGHT.

Yup - that's my ideal "Stretch-9". A "Tiger" with sticks! :D Smaller, more economical than a 10. An RV-9 with room for a couple "yoots" in the back!

DJ

Just a few thoughts...

I realize that I'm a little late to the conversation, but I agree with what a lot of people have already said. I'd like an aerobatic tandem RV-12. Also, I'd be incredibly interested in retractable gear for all other models. I just think it looks cleaner. And lastly, I'd like a 6 place -10 with retractable gear.

Something along the line of a IV-P would be nice.

Yeah, a -10 with with more HP and pressurization. Even without the pressurization, would like to see a -10 with more HP, maybe a 200KT TAS plane. Although it may be capable of doing that now with a bigger engine, although they don't recommend anything higher than a 260HP.

This reminds me of the old Stearmans...

...that were sold surplus and converted to crop-dusters by several different outfits after WWII. First, the engines came out and R985, 450 hp went in, replacing the 220 horse Conti's. Some guys even put 600 HP R1340 cu. in engines in....never enough horspeower.

Supersonic would be too slow for some of you guys:D

If you want to cruise at 300 knots, an RV is not for you...you're a IV-P turbine guy.:)

My .02,

Why? Somebody already made an RV-4 retrac and the small speed gain was not worth the loss in useful load. I think he only gained 4 knots. I would like to see a retractable float plane.

This isn't very imaginative. But...

Before they start working on a twin jet biplane on retractable floats, I'ld just like an improved kit for the 3 and/or 4:rolleyes:. I think that would get me out of my -6 and into the shop.
Well, at least on nasty weather days, anyway;).

Pre-punched 04!

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

If Van's produced a pre-punched -4, they wouldn't be able to keep them in stock! I'd be first in line although it'd take a lot longer for me to build than my -7A just because I'd have to reserve the building to days that were too nasty to fly.

My RV-13 would be a Harmon Rocket 3 with retractable gear. It would have the same airfoil and wing plan form as the P-51. TIO-540 for power. You could use a set of GlassAir3 main gear or the gear off of a Piper Malibu. I would race it at reno. Hey you engineers, how fast would it go on 400 hp?

Now I have to go take a cold shower!

I was thinking the same thing, although I think Vans would better luck selling the two-place Rocket design. The Rocket concept (tandem two-seater, six-cylinder taildragger) seems to have a very strong following. I would love to see a Rocket-type kit availble through Vans, with the full support of the factory (not that Mark and John aren't great with their customers).

Given that a Rocket is a derivative of the RV4, they could take the opportunity to design the 'RV13' completely in CAD (so they can offer a matched-hole QB kit) and then carry over that work to the RV4. At that point maybe they could also offer the pre-punched RV4 kit, as Hawkeye mentions.

bump

Prepunch -4 with fastback option, and maybe removable wings like the 12 so those of us at airports with 315 a month hanger rent can spend that on gas.... Also a prepunch -3 with optional fastback and maybe removable wings too...
make it so we can stick at 390 in it too please.

Best
Brian

Watching the ideas

My $0.02:
prepunched rv-3
Maybe Vanasize the Hummel Bird. Call it a 2.9. Powered by something that costs less than $20K.
Stretch 9. I love this idea.
A factory official fastback 8 would be good too.

Again, JMO, Rick 90432

How about a 3 with a nose wheel, 6g pull out wings and electric motor good for about 1.5 hours (subjuct to increase as battries get better) that would allow your evening play time of an hour or so. Charge it up in the hangar. Oh, and it would also be a light sport.

I just can't get over how nice my 6A lands................ Most of the time I can't tell when the tires touch the runway. Soooooooooooo nice!

Posted for Ron:
The last time I was in the Vans lobby I gave them the idea for the RV 13. It really falls into place if you think about it. First you fly-fly and fly. Then you build the Rv of your Dreams and fly and fly. Then its the RV 12 and you fly and fly! Then thoughts of what am I going to do with all those tools for the RVs. WHOA! the RV13 was born. You build a airboat of Aluminum and use the old prop above the door and the engine block on the pallet and WHOA next generation RVer!!!! After all the GREAT GREAT grandkids need a example. First the kids learn to rivet and buck and the next thing their dreaming of flight and WHOA the RV cycle begins all over,WHOA! & gramp & Grama keep flying on somebodys elses nickle called LOVE. What do you all think of the idea? Its a vicarious cycle isn't it!
Thanks to all who post. I couldn't have piece of mind without you all! Ron

I'd spring for a pre-punch -4. Honestly, it's the pre-punched nature of the newer kits that makes me feel like I can actually do this one day.

Back