What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Sys Question

BlackhawkSP

Well Known Member
Guys:

I'm at the point of purchasing the fuel system components. I plan on doing the Rod Bower induction system and using the AFP FM-200 fuel controller, which requires a return purge line to the fuel valve. AFP also sells the FM-200A which does not require the fuel return. My question is, does anyone here have experience with the FM-200A? It would be nice to have one less penetration of the fire wall and no return purge line, but I'd like to know if anyone has used this set up on an RV-10 and if so, were there any hot starting problems. TIA for any info.

Purge Return

I have a purge return line and am using it sporadically at the moment (i.e. in Test Flight mode at present).

The firewall work and plumbing is pretty minimal, but as yet I have not had a great need for it. Hope that helps.

I have a purge return line and am using it sporadically at the moment (i.e. in Test Flight mode at present).

The firewall work and plumbing is pretty minimal, but as yet I have not had a great need for it. Hope that helps.

While there are other methods of hot starting that work well, flushing out hot fuel makes it even easier. I've also had a couple occasions where pulling the mixture didn't cause the engine to completely stop. The purge valve works evey time.

As Andrew stated, it isn't hard to install.

I have over 2000 hour with fuel injection in rockets and RVs, no return line, no problems. At least half of that time is with the AFP system.
I have 500 hours with the Rod Bower system and it provides good performance at altitude, with no air filter, but with the RAM door closed you do lose power on take off and at lower altitudes. The problem is that the air source, with the door closed, comes from the warmer lower cowling air. It is rather like flying with carb heat on in a carbonated engine when the RAM air door is closed.
I built another airbox that provided filtered air all the time and was quite good at lower altitudes but found that up high, 10 to 17K, the Bower airbox really does a good job at providing the maximum amount of air.

Back