What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Built n Gun Boots?

Justintt

I'm New Here
I’m the proud owner of a new to me-6A!

I can say researching on this sight was extremely helpful in my decision making. Thanks to all.

I have a question that I haven’t been able to find referenced in the forum search. Would it be possible to build a type of “scabbard” behind the luggage compartment for long rifles? I do a lot of western hunting and finding a better way to haul rifles would be amazing. I’m concerned with them being “somewhat” loose the tail section and causing issues. Could they be suspended from the frame ribs somehow?

Any insight or experience is greatly appreciate.

Justin

IMG_9637.jpegIMG_9632.jpeg

I'm sure something like that could be done. But you should know that the bulkhead is a structural component so it's not something to cut holes in without some thought.

sure, that can be done. People have put in tubes for golf clubs, skis, rifles. It should get a little bit of engineering, at least 'instinct-based' from an experienced engineer.
I can just see you flying home with antlers strapped to the cowling - LOL. Welcome to RV ownership. If you would like, I could review anything you design, or I might be able to sketch something up for you. How many guns would you expect to carry on a trip?

I transported a rifle across the country laying on the floor of the baggage compartment. I think I only had it wrapped in a "gun sock" with my luggage on top of the rifle.

When I flew to Alaska, I had a shotgun (18.5" barrel) on the floor in front of the spar with tool bag and survival gear on top of it. The tail wheel RV-6 does NOT have the 'weldments' that the -6A uses for the landing gear so that option most likely will not work in the -6A.

I had a snow Ski rack behind the baggage compartment. The TOP section of the baggage compartment had to be removed and left out. The front of the built in ski rack was additional material to add back what the removed section took out. Since I have not been skiing in the past 10-years, all the ski rack material has been removed. The ski rack was only used a few times. One was a New Years Eve ski trip to Lake Tahoe.

I had a friend that put a door in the bottom section of the baggage compartment that he could slid golf clubs in. There was an aluminum box behind the door to keep the golf clubs in a confined space.

Why not just bungee cord the gun case to the bulkhead? Could probably even suspend it that way even. might need to remove the stock on very long rifles. Could use self adhesive coat hanger type hooks on the bulkhead, might not even require holes. Point them up and down and then make bungee loops to span the two. You’ve given me inspiration here I think I’ll try it. I also want to make a bungee net that covers whole baggage area also.

You might want to consider using velcro straps attached to the bulkhead via a pop rivet. These are the ones that have hook on one side , loop in the other. They attach to each other like you'd use to secure a wire bundle.

Reactions: HFS
You'd be surprised what you can fit into an RV if you need to... just take the pax seat out.

I've had an Arriel 1D1 MO2/3 in there as well as several deer over the years. Rifle slides in nicely when the seat back is removed.

I made a 8"x8" upward hinged door in the bulkhead at floor level. Located 10" from starboard wall and well clear of any moving or electrical parts. Screwed shut most of the time but allows two long rifles in their cases to rest on the floor with part of the barrels extending behind the bulkhead. The dimensions of the opening keep the rifles from sliding rearwards.

I had planned to make fishing rod "socks" in my RV4, but haven't done it yet. Saw a picture (non RV) of a plane where a sewn tube similar to a windsock was fastened in a circular hole in baggage bulkhead. The sock was suspended from the frames aft of the bulkhead. Very light construction, perfect for rods. I suspect a gun or two could be a W/B precaution if it went too far AFT, but something similar made from canvas would work.

I’ve done a fair amount of hunting out of the RV, pretty much a solo endeavor due to weight and space considerations. Passenger seat back out is the way to go. 48-52 quart cooler in the passenger seat with soft rifle case between it and the sidewall, or bow case bungeed on top, works well. Here’s my loadout for a trip to Manitoba in 2012.

Attachments

• IMG_0012.jpeg
    IMG_0012.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 116
Thanks guys. Yall really are an army of information. i will remove seats and the baggage bulkhead to see what my options are.

I’ve pondered a nice breakdown single shot to make for an elegant solution (I have a nice Beretta ou shotgun for a pheasant trip that hasn’t happened yet). Haven’t pulled the trigger on that idea.

Or you can be REDNECK and go this ole proven method.

some work needed

Boomer
IMG_0734.jpeg

I’m the proud owner of a new to me-6A!

I can say researching on this sight was extremely helpful in my decision making. Thanks to all.

I have a question that I haven’t been able to find referenced in the forum search. Would it be possible to build a type of “scabbard” behind the luggage compartment for long rifles? I do a lot of western hunting and finding a better way to haul rifles would be amazing. I’m concerned with them being “somewhat” loose the tail section and causing issues. Could they be suspended from the frame ribs somehow?

Any insight or experience is greatly appreciate.

Justin

View attachment 61997View attachment 61998
check this out.

Back