What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Your favorite tool?

Jack-of-all-Trades

mlwynn said:
..............I have a dremel tool, have used in extensively in RC but haven't found a use in RV assembly. How are you guys using them?
Michael Wynn RV 8 Wings (tanks)
Mike, I use pneumatic pencil grinders (used the same way as a Dremel) frequently in aircraft construction. Fitted with a ball file or ball stone, this tool is very handy to quickly debur holes. Fitted with a cut off wheel, it can be used to rough in an opening or remove excessive threads protruding from a screw or bolt. It is the ideal tool for polishing out small scratches or nicks in metal, especially useful if you have a nick or a gouge on the inside radius of an angle that really should be blended out. Fitted with a high speed rotary file, it can finesse a tight radius almost anywhere. I use it to apply the finishing touches to all manner of openings.

Fitted with a router bit, the tool can be particularly useful to "pull a hole" to one side if a slight misalignment occurs. I've also successfully done this (fitted with a small stone) on the Plexiglas canopy to enhance screw clearance.

Shown below are the elevator horn clearance cutouts on my RV-8A project, fashioned entirely with a cutoff wheel and followed with a rotary file fitted to a pencil grinder.

img00082016uu.jpg
pencilgrinder2146ah.jpg

Some time ago, I introduced pencil grinder utility to a resident A&P who couldn't figure out how to reach deep inside the air scoop opening of his Cessna to partially file away a rivet head interfering with the smooth operation of the flapper door. After making short work of that little problem, he promptly bought his own copy.

These are just a few of the jobs that come immediately to my mind and personal experience, but am reasonably certain many other tasks await the creative application of this remarkable and utilitarian tool. You already know how helpful it is in RC, I'm sure you can find many other ways to put the Dremel to useful and productive work on your RV project. :cool:

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla" 115 hours

Most useful tool for the money IMO...

45.jpg

Avery's edge bending tool, for keeping those skin panel edges sucked down. $14, and nary a hint of a high spot, sharp edge, or gap to be found in the transitions between overlaping skins.

Favorite tool.

Based on usage I would have to say my Dremel (I'm on my 2nd unit). I've used it to drill, debur, polish, cut, sand and much else on 2 RV's. Of the standard aviation tools I would say the pneumatic squeezer is no. 1.

After having just finished all of my wing ribs, I'm going to say scotchbrite wheels. :) The two on the big grinder and especially the 1 inch ones for the die grinder. I don't even want to think how long it would have taken using another method. At least that is now behind me. :D

If you ask me tomorow I will probably have changed back to my pneumatic squeezer. ;)

Pnuematic squeezer
Pnuematic cleco tool
Burraway two-way deburring tools. I'd been looking at these for quite a while, but held off because they are so expensive. Finally broke down and bought them recently, and absolutely wouldn't part with them now. Wish I'd gotten them on day one.
The two different 6" scotchbright wheels are indispensable.

I'll have to say my *FAVORITE* tool is my highlighting pen. When I use it, it means I have finished something......

120815890444269b0157973.jpg

Other consistently well used tools are the music equipment (as Martin first mentioned many pages ago) and the shop fridge (just because it holds Proseal :rolleyes: right..)!

Of course, one could say that the favorite tool is whatever tool is being used at the moment...

It reminds me of my Dad and his Mooney partner answering the common question of "which part of the airplane do they own"? Both responded "The part I'm sittin' in..."

Last edited:
rzbill said:
I'll have to say my *FAVORITE* tool is my highlighting pen. When I use it, it means I have finished something........"
I had an 'Oh crap!" experience using the highlighter. I was merrily highlighting each step as it was completed and when the left wing was finished and all the steps completed, I realized there was yet a second wing to do but the section was completely marked up! What a doofus! :eek:

-mike

I had a gillion plate nuts to put on some angle so I made this little stand for my hand squeezer. Just thought I'd share it since it's so simple and easy to make.

TOOLS%20001.jpg

Back