What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Would you install the Garmin GHA 15 if it was free?

Would you install the Garmin GHA 15 Height Advisor if it was free?

• Yes

Votes: 53 67.9%
  • No

Votes: 25 32.1%

• Total voters

bertschb

Well Known Member
Friend
I'm currently working on the tail cone for my RV-14A and I'm considering installing the new Garmin GHA 15 height advisor. Some folks here think it would be a nice tool to have. Others think it isn't really necessary - often because of the cost.

If you were building an RV now and the GHA 15 was offered for free, would you install it?

No. Already have terrain on my G3X/GTN 650 for enroute, and when landing I can see how high I am.

I would install it if “free” or maybe even if at a reduced price point from where it is now. I think it’s good info especially on poorly lit runways at night, but certainly not critical in the kind of flying I intend to do.

I voted yeas but only because testing new stuff is what I do…not because I feel the need for it in a light GA aircraft. And….because I’ll probably find one in my Kitplanes mailbox to play with on one of our G3X equipped airplanes anyway…. ;)

If you fly day VFR you don't need it. Keep the plane lighter and with less gadgets to cause you difficulties later.

Dave

Maybe. I’ve always been curious how I’d do on a true 0-0 approach. Of course, I’d be under the hood with a safety pilot. But I’d need some kind of radar altimeter for help with the flare.

Last edited:
Personally I don’t see the need for it. If you have a plane on floats and you are landing on a lake at night it certainly would be useful. Toys are nice but sometimes we can over complicate things, but just my opinion

I don’t know much about it but I would like to hear a read out of height above ground while landing. I think it would have been a big help while training to get my license. I also like to support advancement in technology for general aviation.

GHA 15 - Probably Not

I would think about it if it were free, but would likely pass even if free. I have enough other guidance during landing, so I don't see this as adding any value to the way I fly. Now if I flew a back country plane into places without an airport, I would probably jump at such and opportunity.

Heck yes I’ll install even though will have to pay for it. You’re gonna need it for the new auto land system that’s coming soon :eek:

Heck yes I’ll install even though will have to pay for it. You’re gonna need it for the new auto land system that’s coming soon :eek:

Deja vu……….

Attachments

• IMG_1384.jpg
    IMG_1384.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 7

I told a Garmin rep at Oshkosh that we all look forward to auto land for experimental and he asked me how we would handle auto throttle. I guess that’s what he saw as being the biggest obstacle. Seems like something that could be done without much trouble, at least for experimental aviation. I would love to have that for my wife and kids if something happened to me.

Maybe the HA could be leveraged to allow the autopilot to complete a flare maneuver while in Smart Glide during an engine-out emergency, or with power at idle with pilot incapacitation?

A lot of new pilots never look out the window anyway. They’re too busy looking at their ipad or phone or playing with the glass. They need it to land.

Flying IFR

To me, the value of the GHA 15 is for when you can’t see the ground.

I agree that Day VFR pilots are not likely to get $2000 in value for it. If you’re never going to fly in inclement weather where your visibility to the runway is not impacted, then this device, which is essentially a radio altimeter input for the G3X, is really just a cool gadget to have (and, hey, maybe that’s your value?)

HOWEVER, I fly IFR a lot and am constantly considering “where is my current landing spot?”. Totally off topic, I think Garmin’s Smart Glide, that is constantly updating suitable landing spots, is their best safety improvement and has my vote for Most Valuable Feature. Having used it once - it’s priceless.

I did buy and install the GHA 15 in my -10 with my target use being audio call out, with accuracy, to minimums on those LIFR IMC days where I’m on an approach to DA. To me, it’s worth every penny just for this use case.

I have not used it for this yet, but also believe it will be valuable Night VFR when coming home after a long day (tired or just not at my best) and helping with landings when either featureless terrain or ground lighting illusions could impact my misperception of height above ground.

Last edited:
Free maybe, but at any other cost my answer would be no. EFIS & Synthetic vision provide virtually the same thing or better for our kind of flying. We're not doing 0-0 approaches (right?), and my inclination is to resist the temptation to add yet another gadget that will add weight, complexity and potential for distraction from what's out the window.

also

Free maybe, but at any other cost my answer would be no. EFIS & Synthetic vision provide virtually the same thing or better for our kind of flying. We're not doing 0-0 approaches (right?), and my inclination is to resist the temptation to add yet another gadget that will add weight, complexity and potential for distraction from what's out the window.

It is also an issue when it is being used all the time and then for some reason it doesn't work. You will get conditioned to hear the reassuring 50, 40, 30, 20, 10...

When it doesn't count down, you will definitely arrive! Not saying how I know this...

Your question: YES
Did I put one in even though I paid for it: YES (RV-10 flown IFR)
Is it essential: NO
Is it gimmicky: SOMEWHAT
Do I like it: YES

Is it repeatedly accurate and help your landings become more consistent?

GHA 15

Is it repeatedly accurate and help your landings become more consistent?

"Your question: YES
Do I like it: YES"

Agree with all the above. Not essential, but I pay attention to it only with the audio announcements, the numbers on the display are un-necessary. Usefulness is not 50, 40, 30, but rather 5, 4, 3, 2, 2,1,1,1...PLOP! Get the idea? Helps you perfect your flare. Especially at night. Makes for consistent super smooth landings. And yes, super consistent.

Until

"Your question: YES
Do I like it: YES"

Agree with all the above. Not essential, but I pay attention to it only with the audio announcements, the numbers on the display are un-necessary. Usefulness is not 50, 40, 30, but rather 5, 4, 3, 2, 2,1,1,1...PLOP! Get the idea? Helps you perfect your flare. Especially at night. Makes for consistent super smooth landings. And yes, super consistent.

Until it’s not there!

GHA 15

Until it’s not there!

That sounds like an argument for for not including anything that can improve performance because "it might fail". Ok, so yes, also practice/learn how to live with when it fails. Turning my GHA 15 off I've found it has still improved landings with patterning of visual height....

VMC
Yes, in small ways it helps conclude a smooth "roller" landing. Both the height call outs and the audible rate of change influence the flare.

IMC
If you need to justify it with a safety angle: consider a non-precision approach in IMC. Wrong altimeter setting (several ways this can happen) or the 'old hot to cold-look out below' scenario. The RA non-baro based altitude readouts (verbal or visual) could be the thing that alerts you that you are too low. "Why is the RA saying 300'?" "My altimeter says I'm at 500'"

Point

That sounds like an argument for for not including anything that can improve performance because "it might fail". Ok, so yes, also practice/learn how to live with when it fails. Turning my GHA 15 off I've found it has still improved landings with patterning of visual height....

Not saying you shouldn’t have it. I’m saying that if you do have it, you will get used to hearing it and it will likely improve your timing on landings. When it isn’t there for some reason, your landing timing will be delayed and you will have an arrival…

You wouldn’t think that would be the case but it is; you will unconsciously be waiting for the count and you will delay your flare waiting for it.

I don't have an opinion, but it should be pointed out that there is a configurable height threshold, below which audible radar altitude alerts will not be issued. So someone could (for example) suppress all height alerts below 100 feet.

For that smooth "roller" landing in light GA ....

50 (yawn), 30 (I'm over the runway, almost), 20 (uh huh), 10 (do something, ooh, not yet) 5,4,3 (start your flare) 2, 1 (touchdown soon), 6 (inches), 4, 3, 1, Aaahhhh ...

Look, it worked

Back