What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring

wirejock

Well Known Member
Question. What can be used to mark a wire like a stripe?

This may be genius or foolish. Personally, I think it's pretty genius. Two harnesses were much longer than necessary. ADAHRS & GPS. All have unique colors except one orange common to both. Hence the question. Since the Advanced Control Module switches just connect to ground, the two bundles are perfect for a switch harness. Correct number of wires too! However, I need to differentiate one orange wire so it's unique.

Will magic marker work or will it come off? How about black rattle can primer? I can use a q-tip and drag the wire over it.
Ideas please.

Edit...
Looks like I can use permenant marker and make a tool like this.

Last edited:
Paint Pens !

Wipe down with acetone, stripe with paint pen, let dry.

Throw away your torque stripe and use paint pens instead. A twofer!

I used markers to stripe a lot of my white wires. It is easy to do and helps a lot during install but it does start to fade away within a few month so I wouldn't rely on it being 100% permanent. Maybe something like a paint marker would be better.

Determine which wire is which and strip the end of one a small amount.

Wire marker

I tried it both ways.
PVC works as a jig for paint markers. Photo
CPVC works as a jig for permenant markers.
The paint marker is a messy job but won't fade. Lots of colors too.
20230724_135643.jpg

Last edited:
Sharpies

I used colored Sharpies to make both ends of the wires in my white wire bundles. Worked well so far but I have no history of long-term durability. I figure if it fades out and is gone in a few years troubleshooting will be no different than any other plane I have ever worked on ;)

FWIW, and this isn't strictly marking the wire, but what I have done to date is to print out (using a Dymo Rhino label maker) several heatshrink labels for each wire or bundle, just left loose on the wire. This helps with ID during construction, and when completed both ends, I'll just shrink the label near to the terminations. I found this more reliable than pen markings, and less messy than tape, but as we all know there are lots of different ways to skin cats.

Labels

FWIW, and this isn't strictly marking the wire, but what I have done to date is to print out (using a Dymo Rhino label maker) several heatshrink labels for each wire or bundle, just left loose on the wire. This helps with ID during construction, and when completed both ends, I'll just shrink the label near to the terminations. I found this more reliable than pen markings, and less messy than tape, but as we all know there are lots of different ways to skin cats.

I have Rhino labels everywhere but what I have found is the bundle starts getting thick even if they are staggered. I have a spreadsheet listing all the wires from starting point equipment end to panel. It lists connector type, pin#, wire type and size, color, etc all the way from end to end. Really makes it quick to terminate a cable or troubleshoot. I also have schematics. I like to use colors whenever possible.
Years of Telecom and working on cars.

I use a felt pen and the stripe marking doesn't need to last forever because the ends of the wires get labels. For striping, I clamp one end of the wire in a vise and pull it taught and wipe the length with the side of the felt marker tip, no other tools are required.
The permanent labels go on just before terminating. I use 1.5mm clear heat shrink and 6 pt typeface sheet of labels in Excel printed on laser printer to mark 22 AWG and 20 AWG wires. 3mm clear heat shrink is good for doing twisted pair or 14-18 AWG.

Back