What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Why the 6 is the plane of the moment

blaplante

Well Known Member
Folks,
In the current unfortunate LCP and financial situation at Vans, I need to remind you why the 6 is a great plane ... and the plane of the moment.

1. Lots of old (pre laser cut parts) unfinished kits out there
  2. The plans contain details on how to *make* most of the parts (ex: all the powder coated steel brackets)
  3. Most skins were made from untrimmed sheet - Spruce etc. can supply
  4. Price is right!

What this means is you can build a 6 without waiting a year for your kit.

The critical parts (couldn't be scratch made) are the canopy, and the fiberglass items (cowl, wheelpants, etc.)

RV6

I am not an RV builder or owner and never will be. There have been 2700 RV6 completions. There has never been a inflight breakup of a RV6. Not true of the ""later and greater RV7". Study the accident reports.

The -6 is a great airplane and may see a resurgence, time will tell.

The critical parts (couldn't be scratch made) are the canopy, and the fiberglass items (cowl, wheelpants, etc.)
Actually both could be done from scratch and both have been. The canopy would be harder then the fiberglass bits. However, there are 3rd party vendors for canopies and cowls out there, so this should not be a deterrent to anyone thinking about an old -6 project.

Blaplante could be right about RV6 specie. I agree, all the fiberglass parts can easily be diy. I would not contemplate a diy canopy, but as has been pointed out there are several vendors that will do custom canopies.

IMHO, I think the value of completed, flying RV6/6As just went up again. Also, other completed RVs

Not that long ago, "kits" used to come in a 10' long tube filled with wood and 4130 steel. Just sayin.

Hey, I missed out on the tube being included in 1990 on my RV-6. Maybe I could get one now.
But, I sure enjoyed building, creating, and working at understanding the plans.
Bought clear kiln dried wood and anchored my fuse jig from the ceiling, walls and floor of my shop. Fun stuff.
But, people though I was crazy. Ha Ha on them.
I can't imagine how easy it would be to build something that you cold just cleco together.
My luck surely varies Fixit

Could not agree more. Just got going on my restoration of a 6A. Will be an economical little scooter.

Attachments

• 71892433109__93453767-4054-40C8-995A-376ADB1CBED5.jpeg
    71892433109__93453767-4054-40C8-995A-376ADB1CBED5.jpeg
    108.6 KB · Views: 153
Building an airplane.....

Hey, I missed out on the tube being included in 1990 on my RV-6. Maybe I could get one now.

Mine is an RV-4 but back in The Day.....

Tube? I didn't get no stinking TUBE!!:D

But, I sure enjoyed building, creating, and working at understanding the plans.

My building could be divided into three activities: 1)staring at the plans trying to figure out WTH they were trying to tell me. (There WAS no RV forum back then.;)) 2) building after hours of staring at the plans; 3) looking for tools or pieces that were "included" in the kit.

Bought clear kiln dried wood and anchored my fuse jig from the ceiling, walls and floor of my shop. Fun stuff. But, people though I was crazy. Ha Ha on them. I can't imagine how easy it would be to build something that you could just cleco together. My luck surely varies. Fixit

I remember those days! That was BUILDING an airplane.....;)

Pictures: 1) my single car garage before being made into a shop with the first of the jigs already bolted to the ceiling; 2) horizontal being built on that very jig......:eek: by a much younger me.

Attachments

• img821.jpg
    img821.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 77
  • img820rsmall.jpg
    img820rsmall.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 106
Started With a RV6

RV6 is a great fun airplane.
I completed my first RV6 in October 1996. Then building one of the first RV8 kits to fly in Texas,, I found a ‘started’ RV6 kit and finished it in 2000. I have about 1600 hours flying those two RV6 airplanes. The first one took me to Vans homecomings. Many many fun times.. those early years,,,,
I am flying my 3rd RV8 now,,, but I have a RV6 in my shop that’s on its gear, engine hung, some avionics installed.. my 3rd RV6.
Looking forward to having a new airplane, RV6, finished by Spring. Kinda like a full circle.. They fly so nice..

Reactions: bhp
I also have most of the early plans that came with my kit. If anyone need dimensions to fab something I can take a look!

Elsewhere folks are talking the demise of being able to affordably build a plane. Ha. Buy a dusty RV6 (or 4) kit, fab stuff as needed, get used avionics, DIY paint (or none). Engine? People have described elsewhere doing overhauls on a budget.

I too love my RV-6A. Flys great, very economical O-360 converted with Fuel Injection and original Jeff Rose Electronic Ignition in place of right mag (7 gah in econo mode). Lands so easy I call it auto-land. In 850 hours over the past 13 years, my biggest maintenance problem has been leaving the master on. �� Took me 12 years to get done and that includes a year to get it painted. Takes my wife and I plus 100 # of baggage over a lot of territory quickly. Great plane, thanks Van’s!!

I also have most of the early plans that came with my kit. If anyone need dimensions to fab something I can take a look!

Elsewhere folks are talking the demise of being able to affordably build a plane. Ha. Buy a dusty RV6 (or 4) kit, fab stuff as needed, get used avionics, DIY paint (or none). Engine? People have described elsewhere doing overhauls on a budget.

Exactly. Good old days when I built we did not buy new engines from Lycoming with all the fancy gadgets. I built simple with rebuilt engine and steam gages. You can always modify and add stuff later as I have added some glass, EI, AP and many other upgrades over a 16 years of flying. Much more affordable option than wanting all in at first flight.

I remember those days! That was BUILDING an airplane.....;)

Though it makes me feel like a dinosaur, I do remember those too :D
No RV forum as such, but there was the Matronics list, the RVator, and the plans revisions to keep us hungry... and awake.

Back