What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Whirlwind Propellers and what now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also have had nothing but a great experience with whirlwind. Just took my aircraft up for a hub overhual and rebladed it with the rv74 blades. Great experience!
George

-151 Experience ca. 2013

We've now got 335 hours on our -151H (it was an original -151 that we bought used and had the blades upgraded when we sent it back to the factory for a checkup. We bought it very low time, but got a good enough price that I wanted it checked). The Titan guys gave us a VERY good deal on the blade upgrade in 2011, and aside from a few grams of grease spitting in the first ten hours, it has been perfect.

I chatted with Jim Rust (the designer) at OSH last year and asked his thoughts on the 350 hour service, and if that was still the recomendation, and he said that he had considerably more than hours that on his, and he wasn't planning on pulling it apart for a check. I recently called the Ohio folks and asked them the same thing, and they allowed that if it isn't throwing grease and it is in good shape, they'd fly it for longer as well. We are going to closely inspect for grease and blade tightness every 50 hours and run it longer.

Bottom line is that my personal recent experience with both the prop and company has been good. YMMV of course.

Last edited:
Apologies for this being a little loose, but here goes. The Ohio group gets blades from the California group. Ohio/Whirlwind machines the hubs, assembles the units, sells and services same. The California guys make fixed, or ground adjustable, props and they are the technology behind the really cool blade manufacturing. Before I purchased my prop, I went to Ohio and got an excellent factory tour by both WW and Hartzell.

Hope this helps and is still correct.

Look on youtube under props and there was a video of the whirlwind operation in California and how they make the blades. There is also a video on Hartzell BA blade manufacture too.

Love the prop!!!!

... We now have 650+ hrs. on our Whirlwind 200 RV, it has and is performing flawlessly. It has weathered rain, sleet and snow with virtually no signs of wear. It is a purchase I would repeat with no qualms. Thanks, Allan...:D

Last edited:
ditto

... We now have 650+ hrs. on our Whirlwind 200 RV, it has and is performing flawlessly. It has weathered rail sleet and snow with virtually no sign of wear. It is a purchase I would repeat with no qualms. Thanks, Allan...:D

ditto my WW 200 RV prop, 75 hrs.

ditto, now 200 hrs.

Last edited:
When I started reading this thread yesterday, I got worried since I just pulled the trigger on a 74RV. But now I'm comfy again. :)

I did read a post a while back that said the plane had lost a couple knots going to the 74RV vs a 200RV. I hope that was for some other reason since I was under the impression the 74RV is faster.

I did read a post a while back that said the plane had lost a couple knots going to the 74RV vs a 200RV. I hope that was for some other reason since I was under the impression the 74RV is faster.

The 74RV was specifically designed for the higher HP motors, so if you're running at 180HP motor and go to the 74RV I suspect the loss of speed is to be expected.

How about if you went from a 200RV to a 74RV with a 205hp motor?

[ed. This thread started seven years ago, and the original topic has been addressed. Since these new replies are changing into other areas I'll go ahead and lock this one down so new threads on different topics can be created. dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back