What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which FAB?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
Superior Cold Air Sump on an IO-375.

Attachments

• IMG_1113.jpg
    IMG_1113.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_1115.jpg
    IMG_1115.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1116.jpg
    IMG_1116.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 141
Horizontal induction needs this to fit the smooth cowls.

fab-horiz_induction-1.jpg

https://store.vansaircraft.com/filtered-airbox-io-360-180-200hp-fab-horiz-induction-2.html

Round or Square? I need square.

Yes to the horizontal induction and curved intake duct to reach the FAB. I understand that. My question is about mating the FAB to the engine. My superior intake has a 4" square forward mating surface where the FAB will mount. Apparently that may not be "standard" to all generic IO-360 installations. I have heard that I may need the RV-14 FAB because it will mate to my intake.

Which FAB will have a 4" square aft end where it mates to the intake?

Clay I think you may be mixing different products/applications. If you have a horizontal induction sump, pazmanyflyer post is correct.
There is no FAB on a standard horizontal setup. Instead you need the "snorkel" and smooth cowl (no scoop), with the air filter cut into to left forward ramp of the baffles behind the prop. The snorkel flange is round to allow clocking to fit your FI Servo bolt pattern. Once the bolt holes are drilled in the fiberglass flange you can trim the fiberglass "circle" to match the "square" servo.

Frankensnorkel

Yes to the horizontal induction and curved intake duct to reach the FAB. I understand that. My question is about mating the FAB to the engine. My superior intake has a 4" square forward mating surface where the FAB will mount. Apparently that may not be "standard" to all generic IO-360 installations. I have heard that I may need the RV-14 FAB because it will mate to my intake.

Which FAB will have a 4" square aft end where it mates to the intake?

My IO-360-M1B has a square servo flange. The Frankensnorkel comes with a round flange. As John mentioned, it's drilled then trimmed. A plug matching the servo hole is used to keep the Frankensnorkel centered till it is fit. Many of us cut the thing in half and fit either end then glass it back together.

This place is priceless. Yes, now I see. The serpentine duct to reach the front of the intake from the left intake. Mixing my apples and oranges again.

Clay I think you may be mixing different products/applications. If you have a horizontal induction sump, pazmanyflyer post is correct.
There is no FAB on a standard horizontal setup. Instead you need the "snorkel" and smooth cowl (no scoop), with the air filter cut into to left forward ramp of the baffles behind the prop. The snorkel flange is round to allow clocking to fit your FI Servo bolt pattern. Once the bolt holes are drilled in the fiberglass flange you can trim the fiberglass "circle" to match the "square" servo.

Part of the confusion may be that Van's does call the snorkel a FAB also (a FAB for Horizontal Induction systems). Snippet from their web store below. They do use 'snorkel' once in the description text, but 'FAB' in a few places

i-6pTPBTm-L.jpg

Last edited:
FAB... Filtered Air Box

On an RV, none of them are actually a "box", but it is a term that has been used for aircraft for many decades.
So FAB correctly corresponds to all of the systems sold at Van's.

It's all becoming clear to me now...

Yes, yes. The Snorkel/FAB arrived today. One glance makes it clear. Yes, the engine end in round, but the central hole matches the central hole in the square mounting surface.

Ok, one more question: How do I put an alternate air source in this thing?

Alt air

Yes, yes. The Snorkel/FAB arrived today. One glance makes it clear. Yes, the engine end in round, but the central hole matches the central hole in the square mounting surface.

Ok, one more question: How do I put an alternate air source in this thing?

There is supposed to be an alt air kit included. If not you may want to order it.
There are lots of alternate air mods but the Vans method works just fine. It's a round flange with a plate hinged at one point with a bolt. When you pull the Bowden cable, it slides open. Mine works very smooth.
VA-192A & VA-192B

Last edited:
Clay,
Depending on what starter you have, it may be necessary to "trim" the snorkel, (hence it's rename the Frankensnorkel).
I have a B&C and it interfered.
I also enlarged the round hole so it matched the opening of the EFII S32 throttle body, but that's another story.

See attached photos.

Attachments

• IMG_6228.jpg
    IMG_6228.jpg
    464.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6807.jpg
    IMG_6807.jpg
    541.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6797.jpg
    IMG_6797.jpg
    427.6 KB · Views: 52
FAB... Filtered Air Box

On an RV, none of them are actually a "box", but it is a term that has been used for aircraft for many decades.
So FAB correctly corresponds to all of the systems sold at Van's.

Hey Larry, I chose not to rivet the aluminum to the top of the Frankenstein snorkel for fear of if any of the rivets get lose and fall in then they get sucked right into the engine. My filter fits super tight and there is no movement of the snorkel. Thoughts?

Back