What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where to put the ground on the engine case?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
Nobody mentions this. Lots of chat about where to put the ground on the airframe. So, either it's a secret, or it can go anywhere?

Also, on painted engine cases, remove the surface paint, or trust the bolt to catch the metal inside?

remove the paint around the footprint of the lug.

As far as where to put it, an angle valve has a hole for a thru bolt just for this purpose that you wouldn't find in a million years if you didn't know it was there. It's just aft of the base of the oil filler tube. Can't say I recall if that same setup is on the parallel valve engines or not. Hopefully somebody else will chime in.

Always remove the paint for a proper ground. Those drill driven bonding brushes ( think that’s what they are called ) make it easy peasy

The starter draws the most current. I alway us the nice, clean and shiny ground lug on the starter for engine ground.

I really do not like a ground strap going to a greasy engine bolt - or the RV-14 version of ground via the engine mount.

Carl

The parallel valve engine have a grounding lug on each side just below the upper engine mount. I think it’s sized for an AN4 bolt. I did two grounds since I’m electronically powered. One goes from the starter lug to the firewall where it meets the battery ground and the other is from a ground lug to the engine mount at the firewall. No issues so far.

Back