What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wheel Fairings Install Time estimate

mhailey

Any idea or guess on how many hours to install the Wheel Fairing kit from Vans? Let's assume the person doing the job is familiar with Van's kits and is an A&P. I'm in a situation where I am going to have to pay someone to install the fairings prior to going into a paint shop, as I do not have access to the aircraft. My other option is the paint shop has said they would install the kit. Either way I'm just trying to get an idea on whether it's a 8 hour job or a 80 hour $$$ job.

I understand why I didn't get any replies. This is a "very very very" open question. Lot's of variables. I hesitated even asking on the forum. But after quite a Bit of research on my part and For my specific situation, the answer is in Mid summer of 2024 between 20-40 hours of labor.

Lets put it this way, its not 8. If you are painting them at the same time you also have to deal with the intersection fairings depending on what you currently have and those can be purchased or home made. Home made will take more time.

Id say when I did the wheel pants on my 4, it was all of 50 hrs if not more and that was taking them to the prep point of painting. The painting was additional. But I was OCD in ensuring all my lines and measurements were exact. And of course the learning curve. In the end I has gained 6 to 7 mph and it flew straighter than with the old pants.

Back