What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

wheel balance weights -- how much is too much?

dbhill916

Well Known Member
(my apologies if this is a duplicate post. I thought I had posted it last week, but can't find it.)

I recently balanced my front wheel with a Harbor Freight motorcycle tire balance stand and the accompanying self-adhesive steel weights. I ended up putting 98 gm on the wheel (evenly distributed on L and R sides). I spun up the assembly with a drill and 7" backing disk and the tire/wheel assembly coasted to a stop w/o any vibration. Flight test shows much less front end vibration after lift off and climbing through ~400'.

All in all, I'm pleased with the results but I'm concerned about the amount of weight--98 gm-- that I ended up having to add. Does anyone have similar figures? How much balance weight is "too much" such that I should consider replacing the tire and tube?

Thanks in advance,
-dbh

(my apologies if this is a duplicate post. I thought I had posted it last week, but can't find it.)

I recently balanced my front wheel with a Harbor Freight motorcycle tire balance stand and the accompanying self-adhesive steel weights. I ended up putting 98 gm on the wheel (evenly distributed on L and R sides). I spun up the assembly with a drill and 7" backing disk and the tire/wheel assembly coasted to a stop w/o any vibration. Flight test shows much less front end vibration after lift off and climbing through ~400'.

All in all, I'm pleased with the results but I'm concerned about the amount of weight--98 gm-- that I ended up having to add. Does anyone have similar figures? How much balance weight is "too much" such that I should consider replacing the tire and tube?

Thanks in advance,
-dbh

David,

This doesn't really answer your question, but it may get you by until you have some hard data from somebody else. I had the Anti-Splat bearing mod and balance done. When I got the tires/wheels back, there were so many weights on them I thought that perhaps it was a mistake. I don't recall how much weight is on the wheel(s) as it's been quite some time, but it's impressive. There are enough weights that they had to stack some of them. I made a call to double check and Anti-Splat said that this is very common and more often than not, a large number of weights are required. I wonder if a higher quality of tire wouldn't require as much balance? I'm using the stock Van's tires.

Fred

I recently balanced my front wheel with a Harbor Freight motorcycle tire balance stand and the accompanying self-adhesive steel weights. I ended up putting 98 gm on the wheel (evenly distributed on L and R sides). I spun up the assembly with a drill and 7" backing disk and the tire/wheel assembly coasted to a stop w/o any vibration.
The spinning up test made me laugh out loud..........!!😂🤣😂🤣

Thanks in advance,
-dbh
The answer is whatever it takes. I have had tires that had two half ounce weights, others with three full ounce weights.

But I also found something interesting: I had left the right main tire/wheel just sitting on the HF balancer (which works very well, BTW) and would occasionally go over and give it a spin, marking where "up" was at each stop. I noticed a flat spot where the weight of the airplane had mashed it a little flatter than the rest of the tire. Hmmmmm. That seemed to be where the tire 'bounced' when I spun it. SO: I inflated it to 45 pounds and took it out on the hardpad and let it sit in the Sun for a while. The heat allowed that flat spot to go back to being round with the rest of the tire. Balancing it after that: I had to pop the weights off I had put on and redo it. Took much less weight and in different areas. Now: I have to pull the left main off, pump it up and set it in the Sun. Should be interesting to see if there is a difference and if I have to pop those weights off as well.....🤷‍♂️ IMHO; YMMV.....

David,

This doesn't really answer your question, but it may get you by until you have some hard data from somebody else. I had the Anti-Splat bearing mod and balance done. When I got the tires/wheels back, there were so many weights on them I thought that perhaps it was a mistake. I don't recall how much weight is on the wheel(s) as it's been quite some time, but it's impressive. There are enough weights that they had to stack some of them. I made a call to double check and Anti-Splat said that this is very common and more often than not, a large number of weights are required. I wonder if a higher quality of tire wouldn't require as much balance? I'm using the stock Van's tires.

Fred
I had the same, wheels came back from Anti-splat with many many weights. My thought is: balanced is balanced. They’re not coming off by accident. I had an A&P look at the plane pre-first flight and he found it questionable. My DAR thought it was fine. I have 80 hours and over 100 landings on the airframe and have not encountered problems.

I have a number of 1/4 oz. weights on and inside the front wheel. You'll definitely feel the wheel spin down once the aircraft departs if its not close to being balanced.
I think I use the same balancer.. which is a little difficult to use with the main tires since I don't think its accurate to balance the wheels with the tapered bearings installed (they dont..or shouldnt rotate along with the wheel).

David,

I made a call to double check and Anti-Splat said that this is very common and more often than not, a large number of weights are required. I wonder if a higher quality of tire wouldn't require as much balance? I'm using the stock Van's tires.

Fred
All I have ever used is Goodyear Flight Special and never had to balance a tire.

Last edited:
I think I use the same balancer.. which is a little difficult to use with the main tires since I don't think its accurate to balance the wheels with the tapered bearings installed (they dont..or shouldnt rotate along with the wheel).
I was out making sure my left main wheel was balanced correctly as I don't remember if I allowed The Flat Spot (from it sitting in the hangar on one part of the tire for too long.....however long that is..... 🤷‍♂️ ) to puff back out to normal, i.e. a round tire, and thought of this post. The bearings stay in the wheel (with the spacers, if you have them) and the cones snug up against the bearings and spacers. It is the steel shaft the cones are attached to that rolls on the balancer frame 'wheels', not the wheel bearings turning as you balance the tire. If that is what you meant......

Last edited:
Back