What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What's in Your Bison Bag?

StuBob

Well Known Member
I saw a Bison Bag in someone's RV6 and instantly knew I had to have one. That space behind the seats is pretty hard to use without it.

When it arrived, I was struck by its size. It's huge! You could use it for a suitcase, a tool bag, or a bowling ball bag.

What do you use your Bison Bag for? What about its outside pockets?

I have two.

One is the travel kit: tools, canopy cover, gust locks, chocks, tie down kit, spare nose tire and tube, fuel qty dipstick, and a 50lb fish scale for weighing other bags.

The second one is used as a travel suitcase for two or three days of clothes.

They are awesome - would buy them again.

I have one, only used rarely. Since it is as accessible as a spare tire in the bottom of the trunk, it gets used mostly as an overnight (or 3) kit (personal items) on long trips.

I use small colored tool bags for tasks. Red (Milwaukee) gets all the ropes, tie down, chocks, control locks. Yellow (deWalt) gets tools, jumper block, battery strap . . . . you get the picture. Each has a tag with contents and weight since I can not remember everything.

Paul Dye once said something that stuck in my head. "If you want to be sure you have something in a real emergency it had better be in your pockets." A vest was his excellent solution.

I have two.

One always stays in the airplane. It contains a quart of oil, an expandable funnel, a spritzer of distilled water and microfiber cloth for cleaning the canopy, fuel dip stick, fuel sampler, travel canopy cover, AA batteries for headsets, and my pilot license.

The other contains an extensive first aid kit including chest seals, tourniquet, etc.

I have one that holds all of my tie down stuff. The outer pockets have flashlights, batteries, O2 pulse oximeter, canulas, barf bags (aka, plastic bags), etc.

Same here

This is pretty much exactly how I use my two. Although today, on the way home from Lexington KY, one served as a bourbon carrier. :) Great bags.

I have two.

One is the travel kit: tools, canopy cover, gust locks, chocks, tie down kit, spare nose tire and tube, fuel qty dipstick, and a 50lb fish scale for weighing other bags.

The second one is used as a travel suitcase for two or three days of clothes.

They are awesome - would buy them again.

Nice...looks like it fits in the space behind the seats...

EDIT: Bought one
icon14.gif

Last edited:
I have two.

One always stays in the airplane. It contains a quart of oil, an expandable funnel, a spritzer of distilled water and microfiber cloth for cleaning the canopy, fuel dip stick, fuel sampler, travel canopy cover, AA batteries for headsets, and my pilot license.

The other contains an extensive first aid kit including chest seals, tourniquet, etc.
Do you out the oil and funnel in a bag or Tupperware or something?

Pilot side, Quart of oil, small travel tool kit, intake plugs, lightweight canopy cover, battery pack for handheld backup comms, flashlight, tire valve extender, scale, fuel tester, spare headset, small first aid kit with mirror. Other side is a tie down bag strapped in with all the tie downs and gust locks, fits between the flap rod and the back of the seat. Combo saves space for bulky stuff in the baggage compartment.
I also have the station mapped in the W&B application.
Figs

Isn't the station the pilot or passenger seat?

I have it mapped in the middle of the area, 10 inches aft of the pilot/pax seat datum. With the Catto prop my -7 can get to aft CG with a fully loaded baggage compartment and low fuel so I try to keep the weight as far forward as possible and plan fuel burn accordingly.
Figs

What's a bison bag?? When googled, all sorts of odd returns show up...

That was my question too. After looking at the link sent in the next post, I ordered 2. What a great idea! I’m all about convenient storage ideas for necessary stuff in our small cabins.

Someone a few months ago mentioned using rock climbers chalk bags for storage of smaller items like wallet, keys, phone, water bottle, etc. I copied that idea too, and love it. Things I put there are easily accessible in flight and are not in the way.

87235C1D-4CAF-4A85-92D9-A6DD7256B049.jpeg

The RV Flight Bags will handle everything else that I need to carry all the time, or in some cases more room for necessary items on cross country trips that may cover a few days. I can take one of them out if I don’t need the space for my usual local flights.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot guys.. just bought two as some gifts for my buddies.. cool idea with the climbers chalk bags too.. might have to make those next!

The bag people are going to wonder why they have a flush of orders. I only have one. Now when I go to buy a second, they'll be backordered!

Someone a few months ago mentioned using rock climbers chalk bags for storage of smaller items like wallet, keys, phone, water bottle, etc. I copied that idea too, and love it. Things I put there are easily accessible in flight and are not in the way.

View attachment 47488

Similar idea I bought 2 tool belts from the aviation dept of Home Depot, cut off the belt portion and screwed them forward of the spar between the legs, holds checklists, phone, sunglasses and water bottle. Very convenient.
Figs

It’s slightly aft, by about 18” on my plane.

I have it mapped in the middle of the area, 10 inches aft of the pilot/pax seat datum. With the Catto prop my -7 can get to aft CG with a fully loaded baggage compartment and low fuel so I try to keep the weight as far forward as possible and plan fuel burn accordingly.
Figs

Just came from the hangar after looking at the space the bag will be located in. I’m calling that the pilot station. The pilots weight is distributed from the rudder peddles to the top of the seat backrest. That space is completely under the area where the pilots back and head are. In my estimation, the bag can be considered part of the pilots weight….
So, I’ll add the weight of the bag to my weight and I should be golden!

Last edited:
Just came from the hangar after looking at the space the bag will be located in. I’m calling that the pilot station. The pilots weight is distributed from the rudder peddles to the top of the seat backrest. That space is completely under the area where the pilots back and head are. In my estimation, the bag can be considered part of the pilots weight….
So, I’ll add the weight of the bag to my weight and I should be golden!

My logic was around where the center of gravity for the pilot is vs. the bag. Either way, it’s not critical. They sure are great for making use of that otherwise unusable space.

I'm glad my rock climbing chalk bag idea is catching on! Makes me feel like I've contributed something since I can't keep up with some of the folks on this great forum!

Let me just say…

…once again that this was a GREAT idea. We flew to Lexington KY this weekend (2.5 hours each way) and made extensive use of our chalk bags. No more stuffing pockets or hunting around for phones etc.

The Ace Copilot is a huge fan, as am I.

I'm glad my rock climbing chalk bag idea is catching on! Makes me feel like I've contributed something since I can't keep up with some of the folks on this great forum!

How are you securing these to the floor?

Tim

In my case (the tool belt) the top is secured by one of the front row of screws that holds the floor to the top of the spar and a velcro patch that holds the bag down to the forward spar cover.
Figs

Securing

The chalk bags have two belt loops. I put them on a little strip of aluminum with bent up ears, than attached that to the ledge in front of the stick using an existing screw and screw hole. So you can now attach and detach the chalk bags with a little fiddling, but otherwise they stay put.

The bison bags have handy plastic clips, with straps, that let you secure it to the crossbar.

How are you securing these to the floor?

Tim

Almost RV14

Does the Bison Bag still fit with Anti Splat Aero's "Almost RV14" seat mod?

I was wondering the same thing. However, mine is a tip-up and I've relocated the latch rod (for the Almost RV14 install) .......which seems like it will now interfere with the Bison Bag.

I have two ordered that are supposed to arrive Friday. I have a slider 7A with the almost a 14 mod. I'll take pics and let the group know once they arrive.

Silly, but I am excited to get these darned things and do a little more organization and I think my plane is pretty well organized now.

I have had my Bison Bag for about 8 years - 6.5 years longer than I have been flying my plane!! I have only used it once in my 9A and it worked great. The (A with O-320 and Catto is light up front so to carry full baggage I need to keep the weight as far forward as possible. This helps.

I love the chalk bag idea or tool belt pouch. I dont know about you guys but when I have my Crow 5 point on, I can not reach my cup holder mounted on my easy out Anti Splat bar. It may be possible to reach a bag or pouch.

Last edited:
I was wondering the same thing. However, mine is a tip-up and I've relocated the latch rod (for the Almost RV14 install) .......which seems like it will now interfere with the Bison Bag.

I’ll let you know in a few days. My RV Flight Bag shipped out yesterday. I also have the “almost 14 mod” in my RV6. I’ll take a couple pics and post them.

So I’m a little confused… I ordered a RV Flight Bag from Mission Bags. this is the triangular bag that fits behind and under the seats in a side by side RV. Mission Bags lists multiple different bags with Bison in the name. Are we talking about the RV Flight bag or the Bison bags??? Cause the bison bags don’t look special to me but the RV flight Bag is trick….

So I’m a little confused… I ordered a RV Flight Bag from Mission Bags. this is the triangular bag that fits behind and under the seats in a side by side RV. Mission Bags lists multiple different bags with Bison in the name. Are we talking about the RV Flight bag or the Bison bags??? Cause the bison bags don’t look special to me but the RV flight Bag is trick….

Bison bags was the originator of the RV specific bag. I believe the Bison line was sold off to Mission Bags 10 years ago or so.

Got the bags today- seem like they are very well built. I tossed a few things in the one behind left seat, right seat is empty in the pic, but about the shape it should be.

my setup: Almost a14 mod, left seat in the most rearward hinge location. Right seat about where a normal seat would sit full reclined. With the 14 mod I think they push the bags rearward just a bit, but still a nice use of the space that was somewhat wasted before. I am happy with the purchase for sure.

80-pxl_20230908_234703670_d53ba2b014eb4b220419178b462a900ea18641d8.jpg

80-pxl_20230908_234659267_bb7ce8555a0ace782968c43023c4bd8d855b7f2a.jpg

80-pxl_20230908_235136896_ab4171653b145d3f342292e38b666a83d4607bf4.jpg

80-pxl_20230908_235126238_11f91a0e4eb4f8ec4168c841105b18da3aed7049.jpg

The company was originally Bison Mountain Bags, started by a SWA pilot in Montana. Kurt later sold the company to another SWA pilot in Virginia and the name was changed to Mission Bags with the same products, sources, and quality.

Got my RV Flight Bag yesterday. Pics of mine installed:

IMG_3034.jpg

IMG_3037.jpg

First pic is what I put in mine (hat, glasses, and radio not included). There’s quite a bit of room in this bag. I still have room for more if I want. Tools, oil, tie down ropes, second headset. Handheld radio (COM 2) in the black bag on the right goes into the zippered compartment on the back side - easily accessible in flight.

This is my RV6 with the almost 14 seatback support mod, with manual flaps. The bag has nylon straps with a clip on each side that I will attach to the seatback.

Securing the Bison

I used to secure it with the straps, and still do if it’s supposed to be a super bouncy flight, but otherwise I just plunk it in there.

Does anyone secure the bag or do most just set it behind the seat without tying it down?

Back