What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

what does Experimental really mean....FAA problem

...but it also lists,
manufacturer: Textron Lycoming
model: IO-360-B1X

...How are other people labeling their engines when mods have been made?

I'll tell you what - I'm going to make sure my next engine does not have "Lycoming" shown as the manufacturer anywhere on it!

Mel, he told me today my application needs to be redone. So would this be a good time to ask for all my paperwork back....ie: no application=no denial. I would be free to move about the country.

Brian,

I'm not Mel, but I'll comment on your question anyway. According to FAA guidance, once you have submitted the application package you cannot ask for it back. If the FAA tells you that something needs to be redone that's not the same as giving your application back.

That being said, if you really feel this guy is missing the boat you are welcome to ask to talk to his supervisor. And if the supervisor doesn't listen you can go farther up the FAA chain. However, this approach can get ugly so unless you really feel like you want to pick the fight you're usually just better off to do what they ask and move on.

Stuff like static port marking is a bit off base but easy to comply with so why fight it? The data plate really shouldn't be an issue either, but if it would make him happy just take the danged thing off! Hopefully you and he can reach some sort of middle ground and get your plane off the ground! Good luck!

Does an experimental engine even have to have a data plate?

No, there is no requirement for an engine on an experimental aircraft to have any type of data plate or identifying mark. It's recommended of course, for maintenance tracking purposes if for no other reason, but it's not required. The only data plate required on an experimental aircraft is the aircraft ID plate itself on the airframe. Nothing is required on the engine, propeller or any accessories.

We have an airplane!

RV-7build1143.jpg

Inspector was very pleasant today. The paperwork that needed redone was for my Repairmans Cert. He was ok with the engine dataplate. We discussed the AD issue to both our understanding and satisfaction. the static ports were labeled per his request...I just hope the adhesive sticker doesn't fail;) later today.

Hooray

Congrats Brian! Glad to hear that everyone ended up in a happy place!!

I'd suggest you find a different place for your airworthiness certificate though!! :) It might blow away if you leave it where you have it in the picture!! :rolleyes:

Fly safely!!

.....I'd suggest you find a different place for your airworthiness certificate though!! :) It might blow away if you leave it where you have it in the picture!! :rolleyes:

Fly safely!!

BUT, BUT....he said I need to have it visible for anyone who walks up, to be able to see it. :D

Wow, Finally!

CONGRATULATIONS, Brian!!!!

I've been following this emotional roller-coaster ride with you, and I can't even imagine the relief you must feel to finally have it all behind you. I'm on the edge of my seat now, waiting to hear about your maiden flight. PLEASE keep us posted.

Have fun and be safe!

Congratulations! Enjoy your accomplishment, and post pics of that first flight!

Steve (who is starting to allow himself to dream of that day... :) )

10,654 Views!!!

As of right now, your thread has been viewed 10,654 times according to Doug's ViewOmeter! I don't know if that's a record for the short time since you posted it, but it is certainly a thread which will be remembered for a long time!

:D

Congratulations, Brian, and thanks for sharing your labor and travails with us. This is an example of how valuable these VAF forums are.

Happy Phase One!

This was quite a story with happy ending! Congratulations Brian! Your example gave me something to think about.

RE:Congrats....

Hi Brian

All as I got to say is Bravo Zulu ...... (WELL DONE) ...... Now how about that first flight report!!!!!!

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A... Flying & Tracken

Here is what I don't understand about inspectors...... this guy had a thorn up his a$$ about the static port but ignored the fact that the N- number painted on this a/c was not in compliance...................

Inspectors are strange people................................. But, CONGRATS BRIAN... Let the fun began!!!

Last edited:
Good News

Brian,

Glad that is over. What a bunch of heart burn over such things.
Let us know when you fly.

.... but ignored the fact that the N- number painted on this a/c was not in compliance...................

Inspectors are strange people................................. But, CONGRATS BRIAN... Let the fun began!!!

Brian,

What am I missing?

I checked the FAR's and read Sec. 45.22, Part 45 IDENTIFICATION AND REGISTRATION MARKING Subpart C--Nationality and Registration Marks. Other than the Font (The font should be Roman.), I see nothing wrong with it.

But then, even my temporary N-numbers are wrong because they use the wrong font.

What am I missing?

Other than the Font (The font should be Roman.), I see nothing wrong with it.

Font is arguably wrong, but the specific departure from Part 45 would be the thickness of some of the lines making up the characters (1/6th of the height) and the spacing of some of the characters (2/3 the width, which equates to 1/6th the height as well).

These dimensions are commonly missed by builders, and often by inspectors as well. The fact is most N numbers don't meet the letter of the law as called out in part 45, including some coming right out of the factory on brand new type-certificated airplanes.

Details, details!! :)

YEP

Font is arguably wrong, but the specific departure from Part 45 would be the thickness of some of the lines making up the characters (1/6th of the height) and the spacing of some of the characters (2/3 the width, which equates to 1/6th the height as well).

These dimensions are commonly missed by builders, and often by inspectors as well. The fact is most N numbers don't meet the letter of the law as called out in part 45, including some coming right out of the factory on brand new type-certificated airplanes.

Details, details!! :)

I took the EAA booklet to the sign shop, had them read, and make a copy of the specifications for the number, and it was still wrong when I went to pick it up. They had to re do it to correct the line width, and spacing.

This font is probably the closest...

I took the EAA booklet to the sign shop, had them read, and make a copy of the specifications for the number, and it was still wrong when I went to pick it up. They had to re do it to correct the line width, and spacing.

...you will come to meeting the specifications.

http://www.dafont.com/font.php?file...d=10&text=TEST&nb_ppp=10&psize=l&classt=alpha

Add it to the "Fonts" directory and use it in Bold.

It's a gnat's *&^%$ skinny on the line width, but closer than the "standard" Helvetica or Arial.

Back