What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do with your RV this weekend? (9/9-10/2023)

First flight this morning. Recruited friend, A&P and CFI friend to be an additional pilot. Justin has many hours in Vans Aircraft and him monitoring the engine parameters was a big asset. Flight lasted about an hour and consisted of a climb to 5,000 feet and about 5 orbits above the KTXK class D airspace.

Of note…
Plane flys itself off the ground at about 52mph.
Gotta get used to seeing over the nose in level flight. It’s not a 172!
Cylinder #1 ran about 30 degrees hotter in climb than all other cylinders, after flight I trimmed the #1 cylinder baffle by 1/2”
Dynon AP works sweet! Flew orbits with AP holding altitude and made turns with changing heading bug alone.
Stick movement in flight is minimal and even landings don't require must stick movement
Landed with full flaps (30 degrees). I need practice developing a landing routine in this RV9. Practice!

Ready for next flight with another RV Grin!

Attachments

• IMG_0110.jpg
    IMG_0110.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_0114.jpg
    IMG_0114.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_1712.jpg
    IMG_1712.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_0111.jpg
    IMG_0111.jpg
    341.1 KB · Views: 191
Took another of my Daughters for her first ride in my 8

Attachments

• IMG_1009.jpg
    IMG_1009.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_1012.jpg
    IMG_1012.jpg
    464.8 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_1011.jpg
    IMG_1011.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 130
Much to my chagrin, I discovered my buddy’s newly acquired RV-4 is about 2 knots faster than my RV-3… which means I’m going to be looking for some speed mods because I won’t be able to sleep at night knowing he’s faster than me!

FWIW, I was a couple knots over Vne and he was a couple over that. Isn’t the redline on a 4 the same as a 3? Hmm.

Also, in my defense, he’s got an O360 and I’ve got an IO320.

Just some local flying yesterday. Some low clouds just where I wanted to be! It was about a 8 knot crosswind and that is close to my max skill for landing but I nailed it!

The video is pretty boring but the landing was nice! I could have held the nose wheel off a bit more but it was pretty squirrelly and I just wanted to stay on target.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKQbVaU6MRo

Attachments

• ktew clouds landing 9-9-2023 (1).jpg
    ktew clouds landing 9-9-2023 (1).jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 159
Flew my grandson to a Fly-in

A private grass-strip owner was generously having a fly-in at his place -- Spring Hill Airport (MD35) -- so a bunch of us from Essex Skypark headed over. My grandson Griffin (age 9) flew with me in the 7. It was a very nice fly-in with about 25 planes flying in including about six RVs. We enjoyed the BBQ Chicken lunch along with the live entertainment as well. Chalk up another great aviation day made possible by the RV.

Attachments

• SHA_10.jpg
    SHA_10.jpg
    470.6 KB · Views: 174
  • SHA_21.jpg
    SHA_21.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 149
  • SHA_18.jpg
    SHA_18.jpg
    503.4 KB · Views: 144
  • SHA_31.jpg
    SHA_31.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 142
  • SHA_35.jpg
    SHA_35.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 129
  • SHA_34.jpg
    SHA_34.jpg
    379.3 KB · Views: 167
Finally re-installed my compass to a new location in the wingtip. Tested my new setup on the compass rose and then did some flying around the area - weather is great up here ;) and what is most important - compass works now!

Attachments

• IMG-0280.jpg
    IMG-0280.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG-0283.jpg
    IMG-0283.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 178
  • 07C676CA-18B7-4592-AAD6-9EFB44F71FC6.JPG
    07C676CA-18B7-4592-AAD6-9EFB44F71FC6.JPG
    215.7 KB · Views: 150
  • 7DB75F82-54D1-4444-B15C-A314458CC0D7.JPG
    7DB75F82-54D1-4444-B15C-A314458CC0D7.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 139
  • F0CDC0CF-4DD6-4DFA-90FD-DF1A0ADC4B39.JPG
    F0CDC0CF-4DD6-4DFA-90FD-DF1A0ADC4B39.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 130
I had not flown my RV-4 in three weeks. For two of those weeks, I was in Europe for work, and then the last week, I was busy with some more work flying, and I did a four day motorcycle trip with friends. I usually fly my RV once every week or week and a half, so this was a long time for it to be sitting, unflown.

After getting back from the motorcycle trip this afternoon, I headed out to the airport to fly. Met a nice guy a few hangars down that just bought himself a very nice looking Super Cub, and he was flying with his daughter. After I was done ogling, I went to my RV-4 and got it ready to fly. As usual, I had nowhere to go.. so I made up a route on the fly. Flew east for a bit to check out some motorcycle roads, and a private airport. From there, headed south to find some waterfalls. After no success, headed to the coast to it northbound until I was abeam the home airport, and then headed that way. 45 minutes after takeoff, parked the airplane right back where we started, but I was now "reset" for the week.

Attachments

• IMG_8817.jpeg
    IMG_8817.jpeg
    209.2 KB · Views: 142
Camping at Hood River

-Andy

I live in Hood River and was admiring your machine this weekend. Beautiful aircraft!
BTW, I see you’re in Vacaville. One of my fellow Alaska Airlines buddies lives there and we share the same name (I still occasionally get his mail after 23 years!) He was a C-141 driver in a previous life. Have you run into him?

Bomber pattern practice

Back in early days, I had a perfect day in an empty pattern .. running circuits at about 2:45 minutes a lap; boy that was fun!

Fast forward a few years ... must be getting older and slower, since it's now taking me about 30 mins a circuit. However, can't see outside the cockpit and can't see the ground (even if I peeked) and needed to mix it it up with the big iron arrivals and depatures at SFO.

Having fun with instrument training! Talk about a "bomber pattern" ... almost as bad as Cirrus driver.

Attachments

• IMG_0318.jpg
    IMG_0318.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0314.jpg
    IMG_0314.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Why Not?

Purchased an untouched, unmolested, pristine and complete RV-8 kit circa 2008 - empennage through finish kit, Showplanes Fastback canopy and cowl, and a 0 time IO-390 comes with it. It’s loaded in the trailer and I’m heading home.
IMG_7258.jpg

Engine out landing

Well, had some excitement Saturday when the idle mixture screw fell out of the MS carb on my 0320 in my RV4. Pulled power back on 45 enter downwind and engine ran rough then quit. Decided to land rather than trouble shoot. Pulled cowl and found the idle mixture screw laying on top of the airbox. Spring was still on the screw. Anyone heard of this happening? Do I need to put more tension on the spring? Glad I practice engine out landings occasionally.

Never heard of that one before. Something new to check every time the cowl is off. Thanks for sharing!

Idle screw..safety that bugger!

Rick,
Yes, I have seen the idle screw fall out more than once on various aircraft. I always safety that little bugger. I don't drill a hole in the head for safety wire, rather just creatively wrap it so as to pass through the slot and prevent rotation. No biggie if it moves a hair, but it certainly wont fall out. I use .020-.025 wire for ease.

+1

Rick,
Yes, I have seen the idle screw fall out more than once on various aircraft. I always safety that little bugger. I don't drill a hole in the head for safety wire, rather just creatively wrap it so as to pass through the slot and prevent rotation. No biggie if it moves a hair, but it certainly wont fall out. I use .020-.025 wire for ease.

A common occurrence with these carbs. Everyone should do as Bill describes.

Probably safe to assume your idle mixture kept getting richer and richer as the screw worked its way out, but went unnoticed somehow.
I don't think it's quite as common as suggested, especially if the idle mixture is checked every year at annual, or more often as needed.
(adjusting idle mixture appears to be a lost art these days)

Last edited:
Engine out

The mixture had to be getting richer, change was very subtle, looking back I may have noticed but didn't really registor. Feel very fortunate to have it happen entering the pattern and have someone at the small airport there to offer help with tools. Thanks Ray.

Back