What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do w/your RV this weekend? (4/6-7/2024)

After a windy El Nino summer we have now reached mid-autumn and finally we've got some settled weather. As a three-ship we launched out of Cromwell around 08:30 - a beautiful RV-7, a graceful DA-62 and my wife and I in our RV-6. First we travelled south to Kingston then west to Te Anau, then up the Eglington Valley and into the Hollyford. From there it was north via the Cascade Valley to the Landsbrough with the interntion of stopping for a break at Glentanner. Sadly the McKenzie Basin and everything east was completely fogged in so instead we conducted a scenic tour of Mount Cook before heading back to Cromwell. The circular route took a total flying time 2.6 hours and took in some of the prettiest scenery in our region.

Grabbing a few photos/videos of the RV-7 just south of Haast, West Coast, South Island:

1000000781.jpg

DA-62 Diamond over Landsbrough Valley with Mount Cook in the background:

1000000779.jpg

Flying in a loose gaggle with the two similar performance aircraft and sharing our experience with the other pilots was especially rewarding. At the end of the trip we compared numbers and fuel burn. I was impressed with the Diamonds' fuel consumption... for the same 2.6 hours he had used 113 litres of JetA1 against our 71 litres of Avgas and 85 litres for the RV-7. When it came to the cost, the JetA1 at $2.35 came to about $254 vs the $3.60 for Avgas costing about $256, so the Diamond - even running two engines - is extremely efficient and it's hard not to be impressed by this gorgeous aircraft.

Fingers crossed for a few more calm, clear days before winter kicks in.

Attachments

• IMG-20240406-WA0039.jpg
    IMG-20240406-WA0039.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG-20240406-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20240406-WA0008.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG-20240406-WA0027_1.jpg
    IMG-20240406-WA0027_1.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 69
Vegas departure. I didnt realize North Las Vegas Tower closed earlier than published. A little unnerving taking off into the abyss, heading towards a mountain, trying to call departure. Thank God for Garmin and modern cockpit; never would of tried it old school. Vegas departure was quick to clear me though Class Bravo to keep me away from the mountains.
Flew VFR home, but used my IFR skills. Easy Peasey.

I think my spaceship knows which way to go….Space Oddity David Bowie
IMG_6148.jpeg
IMG_6149.jpeg

Last edited:
Took my son up in the RV-6 and then off to Washington DC since it was his spring break. His birthday was Sunday, too. Definitely an aviation-filled weekend!

We even caught a Nationals/Pirates game with front row seats -- feet right on the dugout -- and to top it off, he caught a game ball. Me? I caught... a cold.

The Nationals game was kind of strange. There were probably 4,000 people in the entire stadium, and Pittsburgh fans outnumbered the home team 2 to 1. Probably why we got the tickets for such a good price. In Socal, a pro baseball game with seats like that would be a lot more expensive.

The National Air & Space Museum (the one on the Mall) is *still* under construction. I'd say maybe half of it is open. Still, lots to see there. But I'll always prefer the Udvar-Hazy.

--Ron

IMG_3171.jpeg IMG_3201.jpeg IMG_3235.jpeg IMG_3225.jpeg IMG_3210.jpeg

Wow Jeff

Beautiful paint ! I was looking back over your posts from February this year and look where you're out now. Beautiful fit and finish.

A

Got in a short flight in the RV-9A, flying from the right seat as that will probably be easier to get in and out of after TKA (knee replacement on the right side.) Another flight tomorrow, then on Tuesday, hopefully all the preparations will be done and I can take the day off. Maybe fly to Jekyll Island for lunch.

Back