What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What Coax connectors are these?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
I'm ready to go to Coax School, so I went through all my boxes and antennas to see which connectors I need (rookie here) but these have me stumped. On the rear of a Garmin GNC 355 are the connections for Comm and GPS, but what are they? No threads. No bayonets. Just a clean conical place.

Attachments

• IMG_2067.jpg
    IMG_2067.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_2068 2.jpg
    IMG_2068 2.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_2069.jpg
    IMG_2069.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 79
The radio has to be able to slide in and out of the rack without disconnecting anything... there will be a feature on the radio rack that this mates with, and which presents a standard BNC fitting for you to connect your antenna cable.

I'm ready to go to Coax School, so I went through all my boxes and antennas to see which connectors I need (rookie here) but these have me stumped. On the rear of a Garmin GNC 355 are the connections for Comm and GPS, but what are they? No threads. No bayonets. Just a clean conical place.

Isn't there a back plate that is wired and attached to the back of the tray. The 355 slides into the tray and then connects to the back plate. The coax cables are attached to the rear of the back plate.

Isn't there a back plate that is wired and attached to the back of the tray. The 355 slides into the tray and then connects to the back plate. The coax cables are attached to the rear of the back plate.
Right, these are standard for antenna in/outputs. Note the flared end so as to correct any misalignment when the radio goes in. Mating connector will be something like:
https://www.steinair.com/product/bnc-tray-straight-mount/

Section 4.4.3 of the Installation Manual has a diagram which shows the connector that this goes into.

The backplate will look something like this:

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Of course!

Sparkling reactions, guys. Of course! I was only looking at the box, and not the nice tray Stein sent me. Ask a stupid question, and get a wise answer. Thanks again.

Back