What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wearing it out looking for RV-8

AN23

Well Known Member
I'm helping a friend that is trying to find a nice RV-8. He is a serious buyer and is ready to move on the right airplane. He's not looking for a show winner, just a good, solid, well-built and correctly represented airplane. We've made multiple attempts, cancelled trips and made non-productive go-sees but to-date, we've been disappointed. From owners that refuse to allow ANY panels to be opened up because the paint might get scratched, to airplanes that have NEVER had the first SB completed, to airplanes incorrectly assembled, we've seen it all. I've owned three RVs and have looked at many, many more and I've never experienced this many unsuitable RVs offered for sale. Maybe, its guys trying to cash in on what they see as a falling market, Maybe we just hit an unlucky streak, I don't know. In any case, I assure you, if you have a solid plane, there are still real buyers willing to pay a reasonable price. So, if you're thinking of selling a solid 8 please PM me. I promise you we are NOT tire kickers, are reasonable and we love RVs!

Thank you

Desired
IO-360 with age appropriate hours
CS prop
Non-military paint scheme preferred
Glass can be several generations back as long as its still supported

Last edited:
A few years ago I was making the build/buy decision. I investigated every -8 that I could find for three months. It was impossible to decide based on the description or pictures what it was actually like. A number of them belonged to pilots that had timed out and didn’t really want to sell resulting in the plane not flying for an extended length of time. The really nice ones flying regularly sell by word of mouth before they are even advertised. If they are nice and advertised you had a week. Usually they sold for a premium. The logistics were impossible for me. I built one.
Good hunting!

Last edited:
My friend was looking for a decent RV8 / RV8A. He found one with an O-360 + Sensenich metal fixed pitch for a really good price, no where compare to today's inflated price. The perceived "issues" drove the price to a reasonable range. The paint was DIY but the construction quality was top notch. The avionics was 100% 90s analog steam gauges. The only digital equipment was a portable Garmin GPS.

He upgraded to the latest EFIS everything after flying it for a few months. I am hangar near a professional aircraft paint shop and I see a variety of well aged RVs that needed new top coats. After a new paint job, all RVs look like Lindy quality showpieces from 5 feet away

So instead of looking for the exact RV8 with all the trimmings, maybe you can try to get an older. well built RV and upgrade it, and repaint it to your liking. A quick glance on Barnstormers resulted in many of them like this.

As the owner of three RVs, I can assure you I am well aware of exactly what is involved in those "simple" upgrades having done them myself. They are usually twice the work, time and expense that you originally estimate. If myself and my friend were in our 50's or even early 60's, we'd probably tackle another but this 70 year old is not diving under the panel, upside down, with the tool you need just out of reach, freezing or alternatively sweating your man-parts off. Two other buddies found pretty much exactly what they wanted. This one will also.

Thanks

Man, I feel for you and your friend. It really is a wild,wild, west out there with so many sellers being so out of touch with the reality of what they have. The more a market rises, the more the riff-raff comes out. On the plus side, I do think the market prices have at least stabilized. Your friend will have to compromise on something, guaranteed, but he’ll find something and be very happy after all. Keep at it.

Back