What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Was my paint job copied!

togaflyer

Well Known Member
So I was looking through U tube videos on various RV-10 when I came across a tube done on the RV 10 by “Fly with Pedro”. As I watch this U tube, I was amazed that the paint scheme was almost a duplicate of mine. Even using almost the same colors. In one way I felt complemented, but also felt a bit ticked off since my wife and I spent a good month plus with Jonathan at Evoke developing our paint scheme and we paid to create that one of a kind design. My plane comes up on Evokes site and also FlightAware, so my guess is that builder copied our design from those sources.

Have you checked when that other one was registered? If it was registered before yours that would probably end your doubts because his was painted before yours? Or you could also just ask him because if it's an RV he most likely is on this forum.

Is the scheme something that can be copyrighted? If not - or if so and you / the paint shop DIDN'T copyright it - I don't think you have a legitimate complaint. Feeling complimented that someone liked yours enough to emulate it is certainly an appropriate response though.

It's quite common for people getting paint jobs on older Beech/Cessna/Piper airplanes to copy the more recent factory schemes.

It's also common for paint shops to re-use schemes that one customer did and another liked or that they've found to work well with a particular model. When I painted my -14A I copied one I saw on a plane in the shop which ALSO happened to look quite a bit like another RV-14A I had seen. A simple scheme no doubt but no one seemed to have an issue with it.

Last edited:
If I Google your N number in images there are a few Evoke RV-10s that look pretty similar. Heck my own scheme is a riff on a previous one that my painter did, which was a variation of a common aerobatic scheme with my own addition of a flash Gordon lightning bolt at the front. I've seen that copied later on a couple of others and I take it as a compliment. Hopefully those that I riffed off of feel the same.

I personally think as a courtesy, asking wouldn’t hurt. But I wouldn’t be that put out by someone copying without a heads up.
My RV7 was based on a fellow builders, so I asked him in advance.
I subsequently had a few people ask to copy or do a very similar scheme but different colors. No problem.
I can imagine it feels a little strange if you had no warning. Like bumping into your twin your parent never told you about…

Similarities and differences.

Attachments

• IMG_0906.jpg
    IMG_0906.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_0905.jpg
    IMG_0905.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 331
I checked and that plane was completed in 2022. A few years after mine. But after a nice scotch and thinking it over, it’s was nice to see another -10 completed and flying. And now I can always claim “ it wasn’t me it was that other guy with the same paint job” :)

So I was looking through U tube videos on various RV-10 when I came across a tube done on the RV 10 by “Fly with Pedro”. As I watch this U tube, I was amazed that the paint scheme was almost a duplicate of mine. Even using almost the same colors. In one way I felt complemented, but also felt a bit ticked off since my wife and I spent a good month plus with Jonathan at Evoke developing our paint scheme and we paid to create that one of a kind design. My plane comes up on Evokes site and also FlightAware, so my guess is that builder copied our design from those sources.

But did they use the same primer?

And of course you are completely innocent and not guilty of looking at other planes on line and did not copy one thing someone else did before you. :rolleyes:

I know that I have never copied another builder unlike what everyone else here on Vans Airforce does.……... :rolleyes:

All kidding aside, a friend spoke words that I’m reminded of today, we steal with our eyes.

I tend to look at these things as a compliment, even though one l likes to keep his/hers as unique as possible.

I have a wood glareshield guard*that was copied and felt complimented by that.

For years as we walked around fly-ins, Oshkosh, etc. we would take pictures of paint schemes we found appealing, hoping to one day do something to our unpainted -6a. But, not wanting to be accused of stealing, we ended up purchasing the -8 with the paint scheme we found most appealing. It would have been cheaper to go to court! :D

I think copied schemes go with the territory, and are a compliment. You and the Canadian should get together some day a toast your good taste.

In the twenty years I have been flying my -8, I’d say I have gotten four or five notes a year asking politely if they could “borrow” my paint scheme. I have always taken that as a compliment because the truth is that I built on the ideas of others when I designed it - and there is absolutely nothing I can do about it if they copy it exactly anyway. I always say “thanks for asking, and make your airplane the way you want it!”

Teh funny thing is that even when folks sent me photos later on, I have never seen an exact copy - there are always changed that get made, and I have never seen an exact duplicate of the lines that I think make mine unique. And that’s great, because as long as they are happy with it, I’m happy for them.

Paul

Well there are million of these swoopy paint schemes out there and they all kinda look the same.
Yep!

It wouldn't be a big deal for me to have "my" scheme copied since it isn't really a unique or one of a kind scheme. In fact, mine has already been copied... I'm Houston based with an RV-8; a few years ago I spotted an RV-8A over in the central Texas area with an almost exact copy of mine, same layout, same shade of yellow/white with black trim. The only change was one stripe color. I actually thought it was cool to see a "mini me" of my plane...

Last edited:
Don Pridham, author of the GPU conversion book painted his Mooney in '71-72. Flew with him to Santa Barbara for a Fly-in,

His wife, an artist, designed the scheme.

Mooney Factory "adopted" the basic scheme for new aircraft.

Be happy you only have one or two competitors! ;)

The only thing to be upset about is the ransom paid to Evoke.

Hardly a ransom if you understood how many hours of work the design team puts into a design. Same with the team in the body and paint shop. Worth every penny and then some.

I do understand the irritation at being copied. On the one hand it's a compliment, on the other - it was a lot of hours and hard earned dollars you spent developing a unique design - only to have someone get it for free.

Last edited:
Ransom?

I would put Jonathan and the Evoke crew up against anyone. The attention to detail and care that goes into an Evoke paint job is truly amazing.

…and I am pretty sure that Evoke will not duplicate schemes; they may use elements of a design in another but no two airplanes will end up the same.

I have seen quite a few copies, or near copies, of the scheme I put on my 6A. Flattering.
The only time I got a little miffed was when I saw it on a T-shirt a vendor was selling. When I pointed it out, his response was "you should buy one!". I replied "seriously?" He didn't offer one, and I didn't buy one!

Yep it’s all good! There are only so many ways a plane can be painted and obviously someone else likes ours design just as much as we do. Definitely was weird when I came across a near duplicate on a U tube channel. One day would like to meet the other builder and laugh about it over a couple of beers. He buys :)

Last edited:
I copied someone...

1098px-T-37_021203-O-9999G-003.jpg

Raises hand in thanks facing the Air Force museum....

A nice gentleman who painted them in the AF sent me the paint codes also. Very nice of him.

v/r,dr

Last edited:
Ah, the 6000lb dog whistle. I have some fond and not so fond memories in that airplane. But in the end as I am nearing retirement I wouldn’t trade any of it for anything!

When selecting a paint scheme for our airplane I looked at many others and came up with an original scheme. Still, something about that scheme never looked truly "right" to me so I couldn't commit to spraying it on our aircraft.

Then one day I happened upon a photo of an airplane that had "my" paint scheme but without the elements that had made mine look "not right". I couldn't believe it once I saw it - it was like dropping a stone in the desert sand and retrieving a diamond in its place.

I quickly got in touch with the owner of the aircraft that had the scheme I admired so much - he and his wife had designed it together and were very flattered that I would ask their permission to copy their design, even though it was very close to what I had initially come up with. I think we both marveled at how close the two designs were, and at how subtle changes made all the difference in the world. Often the eye knows what it likes, even though the brain can't tell us what it is about something that we don't like.

At the end of the day there are now two airplanes that look very much the same and we are both pleased as punch with the design. I suspect this is as good an outcome as one could possibly hope for.

I plan to copy someone's colors, but not the entire scheme. Wouldn't have even thought of asking for permission.

I sent my designer about 20 pictures of other aircraft that I liked, and stole features from all of them. I also consulted with a second designer that had some very helpful tips. In the end it looks very much like a lot of RV-8s. If anyone wants to copy what I ended up with, I'll be happy to send the detailed drawings.

I checked and that plane was completed in 2022. A few years after mine. But after a nice scotch and thinking it over, it’s was nice to see another -10 completed and flying. And now I can always claim “ it wasn’t me it was that other guy with the same paint job” :)

Good call. Look at it this way. If you decided you wanted to low-level tour the Grand Canyon or go Trent Palmer on the neighborhood you could just program the other guys N number into your transponder for that little mid-life excursion....... Just sayin'

At least 6

I know of at least 6 aircraft with the same scheme. (Mine was an adaption of a piper scheme). Covering the entire globe from the UK to Australia.
A number of times I’ve parked next to clones.
I think the hardest part of building the aircraft was choosing the paint. So can understand when someone asks can they copy it. I’ve sent photos and even parked my aircraft outside a paint shop for others to use.

Just think of it as a compliment.

Regards Peter

My name is Vlad and I am the guy who copied this beautiful paint job :eek:

I'm ashamed and I feel guilty about this. Just sent a message to Rich with my apologies. :(

I definitely was supposed to find him first and ask for permission to use his design.
My wife found this paint job on google and loved it. I never saw this particular airplane pictures on VAF (probably have not searched*enough) so did not even know that the owner is also here.

My paint job is a vinyl wrap, not actual paint. I decided to make an experiment since this is all about experimental aviation.

I hope Rich will accept my apologies and will not be mad at me. ;)

My name is Vlad and I am the guy who copied this beautiful paint job :eek:

I'm ashamed and I feel guilty about this. Just sent a message to Rich with my apologies. :(

I definitely was supposed to find him first and ask for permission to use his design.
My wife found this paint job on google and loved it. I never saw this particular airplane pictures on VAF (probably have not searched*enough) so did not even know that the owner is also here.

My paint job is a vinyl wrap, not actual paint. I decided to make an experiment since this is all about experimental aviation.

I hope Rich will accept my apologies and will not be mad at me. ;)

On a similar but different note: Thanks for all of the build videos of this plane Vlad. Are you going to do a video on the wrap/process of wrapping an airplane? I’m sure many would be interested in the wrap process/decision making going in to choosing a wrap vs paint and also the durability of the wrap as time goes on.

Zach

On a similar but different note: Thanks for all of the build videos of this plane Vlad. Are you going to do a video on the wrap/process of wrapping an airplane? I’m sure many would be interested in the wrap process/decision making going in to choosing a wrap vs paint and also the durability of the wrap as time goes on.

Zach

Hi Zach!

In my next video I will give some more information about vinyl wrap of my airplane. I fly with it now for only 10 hours and watching for the durability of the vinyl and specifically the joints of the layers. So far it is not bad but I need to fly at least 100 hours with it to make better conclusions. Will definitely share with all of you my findings on that ;)
One thing I must say that vinyl does NOT stick well to fiberglass cowlings or top cabin unless fiberglass is clear coated with at least few layers.

There are only so many ways to blend a few different common colors into some kind of "swooshy" pattern across a plane. When we came up with my scheme, I sent my designer images from maybe 12 planes I liked that I found on line. Yeah, my scheme is unique as far as I know, but it is derivative of elements from many of those 12. Several of them could claim that I copied them since this or that element of the design is similar. Especially Pilatus - I love the standard PC-12 paint scheme.

Take 8 or 10 basic colors and combine with a handful of swoosh shapes, there are only so many possible permutations. If one of an infinite number of monkeys banging on an infinite number of typewriters will eventually write Shakespeare, 2 out of 15,000 RV painters will eventually copy each other.

Hi Zach!

In my next video I will give some more information about vinyl wrap of my airplane. I fly with it now for only 10 hours and watching for the durability of the vinyl and specifically the joints of the layers. So far it is not bad but I need to fly at least 100 hours with it to make better conclusions. Will definitely share with all of you my findings on that ;)
One thing I must say that vinyl does NOT stick well to fiberglass cowlings or top cabin unless fiberglass is clear coated with at least few layers.

Vlad - how are you finding the vinyl holds to the fiberglass cowling? I wrapped mine and the vinyl tends to bubble after I shut down near the exhaust pipes due to hot gasses leaking through. I bought the heat shield in the RV-14 kit to protect that area, installed it, and glassed it in place, and it made no difference. I'm thinking about pulling my vinyl off at least parts of the cowl and painting those bubbly sections with a custom-matched paint.

How many of the faux pursuit/fighter paint schemes are out there, and did they ask the original pilots and groups from WWII if they could copy "their" paint scheme?

Everybody gets their paint scheme ideas from a zillion other similar designs. Mine is a combination of features from at least 3 different planes.

Unless your design is so unique its been copyrighted, expecting people to ask you permission to straight-up copy it, or copy and tweak it, or use elements from it, is absurd.

Vlad - how are you finding the vinyl holds to the fiberglass cowling? I wrapped mine and the vinyl tends to bubble after I shut down near the exhaust pipes due to hot gasses leaking through. I bought the heat shield in the RV-14 kit to protect that area, installed it, and glassed it in place, and it made no difference. I'm thinking about pulling my vinyl off at least parts of the cowl and painting those bubbly sections with a custom-matched paint.

This is exactly what I currently experiencing. My vinyl also bubbles after (during) each flight near the most hot areas of my bottom cowl. I see it when I land. These bubbles disappear after it cools down. :(

In my case that area is all black so I am also thinking of removing that particular part of vinyl and simply painting it instead.

I tried to pin these bubbles with the needle to let hot air out and hoping that next time it wont bubble again but it did not work and it bubbled again next to it. :mad:

Vlad, PM you back. I appreciate you reaching out and there is absolutely no need for any guilt. I have been a member on this forum for several years. I truly believe people on this forum are just an awesome group of folks. And you prove it. Your twin -10 owner.

Rich

Good evening, I copied a design from a beautiful RV8, I saw it at Oshkosh 2019.
I hope the happy owner doesn't get angry,
My plane is CP-X3152 located in Bolivia Santa Cruz.

Attachments

• 7E77A677-4E13-4A32-AE19-499806F82B49.jpeg
    7E77A677-4E13-4A32-AE19-499806F82B49.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 86
Yes, you're paint job was copied.

And you copied other paint jobs.

Of course, there's endless variations of patterns and colors. But the whole derivative you did is not 100% original.

You have a beautiful paint job. But it's very conventional for a custom experimental aircraft paint job. Conventional does not mean plan or simple. Conventional is good. Wild out of the box paint jobs can go off the rail and look bad, even if a ton of cash and time was invested. Some super unique non conventional paint jobs can be works of art figuratively and literally. Not my cul of tea. I like simple conventional styles' and yes I copy what works.

Yoir paint is nice, beautiful, fancy but tasteful, but definitely not a supercustom unique paint job with airbrushed art work, like paintings or futuristic fantasy themes or technical, e.g., cutaway showing what is inside the airplane, reveal of system or structure. My point is not many people copy that because it's so expensive and difficult to do.

Then a guy around the airport who has a xxxxxx airplane (redacted to avoid incriminating myself) got a custom paint job. It's has checker boards and patterns and swoops and bright greens and all kinds of other colors (that clash IMHO). I don't particularly like it. It looks busy, disjointed and dare I say tacky.

Last edited:
Back