What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vne: Indicated -v- True Airspeed

Quote:
How can you say this when Van's does not build the planes. Each plane built will be different because each is built different. There are not two of his planes built the same.

Norman, The overwhelming majority of RV's are built with differences small enough, or irrelevant to changing the ops limits. In the rare case where builder modifications require the kit manufacturer's limits to be changed, the new ops limits must be substantiated by some sort of rational evaluation or test program.

Ops limits must be established for every US registered civil aircraft: FAR 91.9. In our case, those limits largely come from Vans Aircraft simply because they've done the analysis - they have the test data - they know their product. We use those numbers unless we have reason to modify them, which is rarely the case.

...Steve Fosset broke it in the Andes (50k and change)...
Little pet peeve correction here. I know that this record has often been reported as pilot Steve Fossett and co-pilot Einer Enevoldson although the FAI makes no such distinctions. The record is held jointly and lets just say that Mr. Fossett being listed as the pilot has much to do with who funded the project. We do need to at least mention Einer.

Einer does say that Steve was always completely humble and did not try to claim more than what actually happened.

Official FAI record link

Last edited:
point well taken

We all know that Steve was basically the funding line.

I spoke to Einer at Oshkosh at couple of years ago. Had a chance to look over the airplane that was used. Really an incredible record. Probably going to be tough to break this one.

One of these days I will have to have another go at the wave. Its really a spectacular experience.

Back