What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vlad the Russian - infiltrating Canada's border

Lycosaurus

Well Known Member
Vlad paid us a short visit last Saturday. He flew up from NJ directly to Ottawa Canada. Vlad availed himself of the Canpass feature that allows for border crossings at more airports. We met him at Carp CYRP, but he had taken the wrong taxiway. After a few minutes Vlad managed to find taxiway Alpha and the FBO apron.

N666BKwaiting.jpg

N666BKarrived.jpg

It was past his declared arrival time, so by the rules Vlad is allowed to deplane. I started placing the cowl plugs on N666BK when suddenly the customs agents showed up. You gotta love our CBSA... they came over and apologized :D for being late (they got lost on the airport grounds too.... they drive over from Ottawa International CYOW)! We backed away and allowed them to grill Vlad. I snapped a couple of photos after asking permission. We've had a few border crossings and so have friends., but we have never met CBSA agents ... it was only a rumor that they existed.
(I was expecting these photos to be more blurry since a sighting of the CBSA agents is like a sighting of Bigfoot)

N666BKCBSA.jpg

This next photo shows Vlad trying to escape the CBSA agents from the other side of the plane...

N666BKCBSA2.jpg

All was good and Vlad was free to go. After a quick lunch Vlad was ready for an engine pre-start check, on his way to Maine.

N666BKprestart.jpg

This flight was planned as a social visit as well as a dry run for crossing the border in preparation for Mo's Fly-in on the Ottawa River on the last Sunday of February. It was great meeting Vlad again, and we hope that the weather and his work schedule cooperate for Mo's.

Last edited:
From what I can tell, this is a man that loves his airplane, loves what it was intended for, and uses at every opportunity. I think Vlad must be a "poster child" for the RV community.:)

Thanks. It was fun and easy trip indeed. As a green private pilot ( 8 months after checkride ;) ) I did a lot of old fashioned preparations. Do you remember these? You need a lot.

Planning.jpg

Then sometime on top.

secondhour.jpg

For those concerned the layer is thin I can see Mother Earth through it.

thinlayer.jpg

Friendly Canadians usually keep good weather by their border.

border.jpg

I missed the turn indeed :) Thought I was in Siberia so much snow it was.

Missedtheturn.jpg

Alfio and Shirley were here before customs. BTW, Alfio, did you see that SUV before? Right there by the Piper tail? :D I think they were following you.

Alfiomeeting.jpg

AlfioandShirley.jpg

Lasagna was delicious. Even Tomcat-what's-his-name stopped his makeup. Was he jealous?

Tomcat.jpg

There is a pond with tropical fishes outside. Right here.

pond.jpg

Can't believe the snow!

I'm 3 1/2 hours south of you in Oshawa and we don't have a lick of snow. It's been like early spring the last couple of weeks here.

Nice pics and nice to see the passion Vlad!

Don

Alfio guided me through every step. Interactions with different agencies are super easy when you have a mentor. Thank You Sir very much.

Heading back. From this checkpoint already left a Dodge Charger with two agents.

checkpoint.jpg

They are heading the same direction to Ogdensburg International Airport.

KOGS.jpg

The formalities were quick and in 10 minutes I was again in the air heading East. That part requires special thread :D

Alfio thank you again very much for everything. I will do my best to get to Mo's weather permitting.

vlad, you are working on a record year of flying. i am impressed. keep up the good work.

hey, did you end up using that roll of tape you heisted from my hanger?

img0247mf.jpg

An inspiration to all building and flying. . .

We can all live life vicariously through Vlad;). Looking forward to your Maine write up.

Alfio, I am glad you fed him well! When he got to my little getaway house in Rangeley, Maine he needed another meal!

Ski plane fly in Feb 2012 046.jpg

He needed it because the single man that he is only eats 3 times per week or whenever somebody drops something on the floor!

I made my special marinara and pasta and fattened him up some.

Vlad, you are welcome at my houses anytime! Stop by KPYM soon and I can make my carbonara for you, as you now know how to twirl pasta on a fork and spoon!

;) CJ

Here is a picture of Albert inspecting Vlad's handiwork within the confines of our luxurious (commandeered) hangar!

Ski plane fly in Feb 2012 053.jpg

It must have passed muster as he did arrive here in Maine safely from his international voyage!

;) CJ

Fueled the man, but not the machine

...BTW, Alfio, did you see that SUV before? Right there by the Piper tail? :D I think they were following you. Could be. They were clearly not familiar with the field layout.

Alfiomeeting.jpg

Even Tomcat-what's-his-name stopped his makeup. Was he jealous? That was Spinner. He is king of the castle. His sister Rudder is on the couch near the plant.

Tomcat.jpg

I'm 3 1/2 hours south of you in Oshawa and we don't have a lick of snow. It's been like early spring the last couple of weeks here...

Don, it's been a relatively dry winter with large temperature excursions melting a lot of the snow away. At this time of year we usually have more snow than this. I gotta find us a warmer place to live (and fly).

Alfio, I am glad you fed him well! When he got to my little getaway house in Rangeley, Maine he needed another meal! ...
I made my special marinara and pasta and fattened him up some....

CJ, we had lasagna for lunch. Between us we are slowly turning the Russian into an Italian.

We fueled up the man but not the machine. Somehow Vlad did not develop a positive appreciation for the price of 100LL here ($7.30 per gallon) :)

...I will do my best to get to Mo's weather permitting.

We're looking forward to it.

Alfio,

My dad always said, "there are two kinds of Italians. Those that are and those that want to be!"

hahaha

I like Spinner's salute! He must be one happy cat!

:D CJ

Oh Yes!

...Alfio, when will you be coming to Maine!?!

You are welcome here too! Any friend of Vlad's is a friend of mine!

;) CJ

Back