What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Video - Show Planes Remote Oil Cooler seal while engine is running

moespeeds

Well Known Member
Friend
I decided I wanted to take my 8 row cooler off the baffles, where it barely fit and kept cracking, and move it to the engine mount. I ended up buying the showplanes cooler mounting kit with an 11 row Aero Classics cooler.

All the guys at the airport thought I was nuts and said the little boot would never keep a seal so we took a video. This is the first startup on a top overhaul, and I forgot to turn the right mag on initially so it's running pretty rough, but it gives you a good visual on how it does indeed seal just fine.

https://youtu.be/RR2Uz5GRlXQ

I've got about 5 hours on it now, and it's great. The flapper valve gives you very fine control over oil temps.

Mount here: https://showplanes.com/Item/OCM-8

To be precise, the video shows the seal remains in contact with the baffle when the engine moves at idle. However, there is no air pressure in this demonstration. It's between 9 and 10 psi at VNE down low.

Make absolutely sure the dipstick tube never hits the duct.

I believe the purpose of the video was to demonstrate that the seal wasn’t broken due to shaking at startup. Air movement from pressure during flight is going to take the path of least resistance which seems likely to be right through the oil cooler, as intended. The rubber seal around the duct is going to work at least as well as the rubber seal on the baffles to hold pressure, so seems good to me. Nice demo video!

The rubber seal around the duct is going to work at least as well as the rubber seal on the baffles to hold pressure, so seems good to me.

Maybe...

The traditional baffle seal works in a way that as pressure in the plenum increases, it presses the seals harder against the cowl, helping to improve the seal.

The seal material supplied with this kit doesn't seem to react to pressure in that way.

The traditional baffle seal works in a way that as pressure in the plenum increases, it presses the seals harder against the cowl, helping to improve the seal.

The seal material supplied with this kit doesn't seem to react to pressure in that way.

Good point. I still think it’s going to be a lot easier for the air to go through the oil cooler than to push the seal on the duct away from the baffle given that it appears to be pushed up against it pretty firmly

I assume a few of these oil cooler bracket and the duct have been sold and used successfully. Anybody out there with any problems?

Oil temp

I have been using the show planes cooler mount for 100 hours and the oil temperature has stayed less than 196. Engine is a IO360 A3B6 in SW Florida so must be working pretty good.
👍. Kirk S

Back