What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vertical Stab Mounting

skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
Instructions say that when mounting the vertical stabilizer, you should measure from the stabilizer to the horizontal stab edges and the measurements should be the same to ensure the stabilizer is vertical. I'm probably overthinking this, but the front edge of the vertical stab is off to one side about 1/4". If the measurements I take are equal, doesn't that mean that it's NOT vertical? Do I just measure close to the middle of the top of the vertical stab, add the offset amount, and have that number be equal? That's what makes sense in my head, but before I drill holes that can't be undone, figured I'd ask.

Instructions say that when mounting the vertical stabilizer, you should measure from the stabilizer to the horizontal stab edges and the measurements should be the same to ensure the stabilizer is vertical. I'm probably overthinking this, but the front edge of the vertical stab is off to one side about 1/4". If the measurements I take are equal, doesn't that mean that it's NOT vertical? Do I just measure close to the middle of the top of the vertical stab, add the offset amount, and have that number be equal? That's what makes sense in my head, but before I drill holes that can't be undone, figured I'd ask.
Measure top edges of rear vert spar diagonally down to horizontal spars

Measure top edges of rear vert spar diagonally down to horizontal spars
Makes sense. I suppose if the pivot location for the front offset is at the rear spar, the difference at that location due to the offset is negligible, at least in a practical sense. Appreciate it!

Back