What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vernier throttle on S-LSA

Ex Bonanza Bucko

Well Known Member
I read that the McFarlane "vernier" throttle wasn't like the ones we were used to in Bonanza etc. ---that they only allowed a small change in power but that they, at least, do not require constant messing with the tensioner.

Do you know anything about the vernier throttle Van's is currently working on....getting FAA approval as I understand it? If it will be nothing more than the McFarlane throttle maybe it would be just as good to put the new lighter springs on the factory throttle. Would that make the current throttle easier to handle?

I appreciate your input.

Thanks,
EBB

It's McFarlane's 'vernier-assist' throttle with the lighter springs. Normal push-pull operation but the knob can also be turned for finer adjustment. Putting lighter springs on the standard throttle works too. However as your aircraft is an S-LSA, any upgrades will have to be authorised by Vans. Unlike EAB or post-cert E-LSA, you are restricted when it comes to making ad-hoc changes.

Last edited:
I just put one on the -6 and its great. If you loosen the throttle lock it works like a normal non-vernier throttle.

EBB,

Like you the throttle is a pain to operate on the SLSA. I have to have virtually fully tight friction lock to avoid the constant pulling of the throttle. My fingers get sore just from throttle use.

I was supposed to have the new springs when I picked my plane up but Gus said they had to recall the batch from McFarlane and are waiting for the new ones?which should be there very soon.

Mitch Lock said his testing of the vernier throttle was great so I'm hoping to get both installed on my SLSA with approval from Vans.

Top Cat:
Kaitlyn Tepe, who I think works at Synergy Air, told me Monday that the vernier throttle was in testing and then there would be a wait for the FAA approval before it could be put on our S-LSAs. She didn't give me a time estimate for all of that. I am not sure if the new vernier throttle will be the existing McFarlane throttle or a new one.

Kaitlyn has always handled my info requests very, very well and she also processed my purchase of my new bird, N44VA, from Van's. It was a pleasure working with her.

EBB

EBB,

Likewise I worked with Kaitlyn when ordering my SLSA.

I think you can get the new springs before the vernier throttle, or you could wait till the vernier's approved and do it all at one time.

Back