What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's is Hiring.....many positions.

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member

Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 6.36.13 PM.png

Oh, If I were only: 1. Younger, 2. Stronger, 3. More energetic, 4. Had more stamina, 5. Did I say "Younger"??

"Sigh...."

Pete

Oh, If I were only: 1. Younger, 2. Stronger, 3. More energetic, 4. Had more stamina, 5. Did I say "Younger"??

"Sigh...."

Pete
Oh yes... and then which vacancy? I wonder what does a "Sustaining Engineer" do?

Just out of interest, do they have to get court approval to hire people while in chapter 11?

Oh yes... and then which vacancy? I wonder what does a "Sustaining Engineer" do?
Typically sustaining engineers support existing aircraft models, as opposed to designing new ones. Updates/improvements to the design, finding replacements for obsolete parts, dealing with issues encountered in production or service, etc. Typically they'll work the fleetwide stuff, as opposed to one-off repairs or individual situations (which is the end that I work, incidentally). I'd imagine that such a position at a small company like Van's probably covers a broader spectrum than it would somewhere like Boeing or Lockheed.

If you click through to the job description it actually gives a pretty decent summary.

Just out of interest, do they have to get court approval to hire people while in chapter 11?
No. Chapter 11 allows for “normal” business operations to continue. This can include investments in people, equipment, etc….

Oh yes... and then which vacancy?
Me too. I’m a drop in fit for one of them (as in “been there, done that, bought the t-shirt”), and could maybe talk my way into a couple of the others. But then there’s that whole “pull up stakes” and move thing….so yea, like PCHunt said above: “Did I mention younger?” :cautious:

Oregon...hmmm...

No state sales tax,
Trees,
Fruit,
Wine,
Trees,
Rivers,
Mountains,
Trees...

did I mention Trees? :)

It’s nicer than you think, but let’s keep that our secret!
It does rain a lot. No sales tax as they make up for it in income, property, and many other taxes….
We love it, but not for everybody.

If you wanted a job at Vans, I’ll guarantee you will like living in Oregon, even if it isn’t for a lifetime! The area around Aurora is nice country.

But then there’s that whole “pull up stakes” and move thing
Yep. Opposite end of the country from almost all our family, too cold, too rainy. And too cold. I'm also a mechanical/electrical systems engineer and most of the work would probably be structures-based.

And for the record, I’m not slandering Oregon or peoples preferences - just pointing out that people often have vast differences in tastes. I grew up in Napa, California. One of the most celebrated, beautiful regions in the world. But I am a desert rat at heart and feel far more comfortable living in the dry, dusty, desolate heat of the desert than I ever did in Napa. I think my 2 years stationed in England cured me of EVER wanting to see rain again. LOVED Saudi though (except for that whole “Desert Storm” thing).

Back