What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van gives us Numbers!!

jarhead said:
That tells me there's an awful lot of tail kits either collecting dust in attics/basements/garages, taking up space in landfills, or recycled into soda/beer cans. :mad: :( :mad: :(
Maybe. But I can tell you where kit #70240 is. It's being built, a little bit each day, and has been since 2001. Sure, I know, lots of people throw these things together in a couple of years with an apparently endless supply of money and time.

But me, it'll get done when it gets done. It is neither gathering dust (well, OK, it's gathering a little dust), nor has it been abandoned.

I am enjoying the building process IMMENSELY.

Does it really matter if the seats are made of flame retardent material. I would think that by time it got hot enough in the cockpit to cause the seats to burst into flames you would also be in flames and or dead.

Norman CYYJ said:
Does it really matter if the seats are made of flame retardent material. I would think that by time it got hot enough in the cockpit to cause the seats to burst into flames you would also be in flames and or dead.

Actually it's not just the seats...it's ALL the cabin trims including soundproofing, carpets, underlay etc. I would expect that in a fully fledged FWF fire the flames would pour out the bottom cowl on an RV and heat the floor extremely rapidly. Synthetic automotive carpets would just go "whoomp" and take out the seats as well. A terrible way to die. Of course aviation grade fabrics and carpets will still burn....but they are harder to ignite and will buy you more time.

Another problem with auto fabrics is that when the synthetics burn they melt onto your skin causing particularly horrific burns.

At any rate the decision on whether to go with cheap highly flammable auto textiles is up to the individual in the experimental category. I'm just pointing out the difference so that builders can make an informed decision.

I merely recommend that if builders wish to use auto textiles they firstly obtain a sample of the material and put a match to it.....it might be VERY "enlightening". ;)

But we're getting way off topic.

Back