What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VAF Annual Membership Fee Proposal

Would You Support this VAF Membership Fee System

• Yes

Votes: 180 72.3%
  • No

Votes: 69 27.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OK,

So the gold star might not be such a good idea after all... but it could act as a reminder for some...

For me it wasn't about bragging rights for paying VAF.
Can someone seriously brag about a 25$ donation...???

For a second there, I thought that it could be used as a way to encourage or stimulate people in paying up. Teaches me not to think that I have good ideas half asleep in the middle of the night !!!

I do appreciate that for some, it can be a form of segregation, (publicly showing who paid, who didn't) something we don't want here I believe...

Doug is the master of this place, and he should know or decide what's best.
Nevertheless, as was said earlier, it took me a while to catch that there was a donation system. So maybe a more visible banner could help (although, brite fluorescent green is hard to miss... :eek:)

I can feel for Doug, and can only say that it's truly sad that just over 500 donations were sent at this time of the year... :confused:

Personally, I think Doug should delete the "exemption" list. It is indeed his way of honoring those willing to give more than $25. I appreciate that as I imagine most do. By the same token, many combat veterans wish nothing more than to be normal and not singled out as different. The intent is truly generous but perhaps he could find another way to express his thoughtfulness that doesn't put the website at risk. As usual, my $.02.

VAF pay membership site

I, as I expect many of you, would continue to support VAF if it were a pay only site.. but it's much more complicated. Doug must balance the advertiser's desire for views/click-thru w/general public or member access. It's difficult to give revenue advice without understanding the number of players and the contributions made by each.

I've read the posted statistics on unique visitors and I imagine those numbers are skewed. Many of us browse in a "Private Browsing" mode or use AdBlock Plus (or similar tool) when surfing. The website and forum only require users to authenticate when posting. I feel a method of encouraging users to log on for simple viewing will allow VAF a more accurate read on their visitor/member numbers (and allow for more informed decisions moving forward.) I would also recommend allowing inter-thread ads (especially if they can be sold by thread topic.)

And to answer the poll... I don't mind receiving an occasional email from VAF.

Stan

PS. My dues are paid as they have been for many years and I'm not a fan of including that information in my signature footer... anyone can change their signature to say that. Why not go back to displaying our VAF#... it was always easy to look up who was paid that way.

PS. My dues are paid as they have been for many years and I'm not a fan of including that information in my signature footer... anyone can change their signature to say that. Why not go back to displaying our VAF#... it was always easy to look up who was paid that way.
In my case, the reason for including the information in my signature line is to remind ME that I have/have not paid for the current year.

VAF site

I support Doug's choices 100%

It is HIS web site and I appreciate it and the helpful people on it.

Also, I would imagine that many, like myself, qualify for the "exemption" list. Many of us have/will pay to support the web site even though we are exempt. We do appreciate the recognition for putting our life on the line, so the rest of you may fly in a free country and have LEO support when you need it.

I appreciate Doug's attitude and I will support him.

... “What does it take to motivate the masses?”...

I think a good way to motivate is through soft exposure. How about an automated process that posts each users code name in a particular color. Our code names are already posted next to the threads we create or respond to. Lets just post the name in green if the person has contributed $25 or more that year (or exempt under Doug's rules), and post in red if not paid up for the year. A red carries no negative connotation for folks with X or fewer posts, but when we see a red name on a person with X or more posts, that's a gentle nudge that carries greater motivational power IMHO. If this type of exposure still doesn't motivate these folks, then maybe the silence they experience when they post questions on the forum will stir something in them.

Last edited:
Everytime, I read these threads about rewarding people to do the right thing or not.....Gold stars, red names, etc. I remember Ty Webb's comment about what golf score he shot.

Judge Smails: Ty, what did you shoot today?
Ty Webb: Oh, Judge, I don't keep score.
Judge Smails: Then how do you measure yourself with other golfers?
Ty Webb: By height.

So I guess I don't need to keep score. ;)

I made my donation today in the form of $26.00 via PayPal. If this doesn't cover the full $25.00 please let me know and I will add funds. Next year I plan to double my donation.

Back