What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vaccum failure

flymustangs

Well Known Member
This concerns a Glastar that I own, but would appreciate some help. I finally got to go up for a flight after about two months with the airplane sitting. I noticed on runup that the vacuum reading was not in the green. It was registering probably about 3 if I'm reading the gauge correctly. The DG and AI didn't seem to respond correctly. There was some vacuum because you could hear the gyros spinning down after engine shutdown. I have a Trutrak Pictorial Pilot in place of an electric turn coordinator so it had to be the vacuum instruments.

A couple of questions and request for opinions. Could this be a simple problem since some vacuum is being produced? The filter looks good.

The airplane is VFR because of avionics. I didn't build the plane so can't explain the reasoning behind a full gyro panel, but only VFR avionics. I had pretty much planned on removing the vacuum system when it failed and going with an EFIS or simply the Pictorial pilot as a "just in case" instrument. I just hadn't planned on doing it this soon. The airplane has about 284 hours on it.

If it's a simple fix I would prefer that over downing the airplane to made the modifications.

Thanks.
Ken

Could be simple & cheap, could be expensive...

Check the easy cheap stuff first. Look at all the vacuum lines to see that they're not kinked, split, cracked, dryrotted, etc. If it looks the least bit shady, replace that line. Check the pump outlet line (the one that dumps the air overboard) for kinks, restrictions, or blockages.

Replace the filter. It's cheap insurance.

That's the best I can do from the Interweb, hope it helps...

critters?

If the plane has been sitting for three months I would think some sort of a critter is to blame. Maybe a mud dauber nest in the output line of the pump? or maybe a rat chewed a hole in a line. If your up north maybe some water got in a line and froze splitting it?

A few cents worth

It sounds like three questions: Whats wrong?, Do I switch to EFIS? and why Gyros in a VFR plane?

Why Vacuum Pumps SUCK! :rolleyes:
As you know 3 in-Hg is too low. They need 4-4.5 inch.

Sitting should not be a big deal, at least for the time you said. I know Gyro shops will not let a gyro sit on the shelf for more than a few months with out running it or flipping it over. Apparently a permanent set in the bearings can take, if left idle too long. It sounds as if you just have low Vacuum, so it is the pump or related times (filter, regulator, gauge). However if it was 4-4.5" and now it is lower all of sudden after a period of disuse? May be the pump? May be its a combo of weak worn gyros, weak pump and dirty filter?

Vacuum pumps (dry) are the bane and weak link of the vacuum gyro system. The just don't last. A glasair with a tight cowl can add heat and lower life more. You can expect 200-600 hours out of them. They are just finicky. I guess there are some new companies and designs, but don't know what if any improvement they provide and at what cost. I know wet pumps where much more reliable but where messy.

As far as EFIS. I think you say you are VFR. My feeling is least path of resistance. Why switch to EFIS? Stay with what you have. You have a vacuum system and if it works leave it. Should you pay good money to fix and repair the vacuum system. Well a EFIS is over $2000, but than a few pumps and a gyro overhaul or two is that much. If you did make the conversion you could sell your Vacuum gyros, regulator and pump to defer some of the cost.

Why Gyros in VFR planes
Since you are VFR you don't NEED an Attitude, DG or T&B/Turn coordinator from an FAR stand point, but they are nice to have, especially in a fast cross country plane. If you do any night flying or extensive cross country, I would have want Gyros. Just because you are VFR does not mean you should have zero instrument capabilities (plane or pilot). No, I am not saying VFR pilots should be wondering in IMC conditions, but there are times the gyros will help. There have been several times, especially at night I took off over water, sparse unlit areas or haze and found I need to get on the gyros (JFK Jr. right?). As a CFI/II, I still do VFR flight reviews and instrument comp checks. I spend a lot of time practicing "attitude instrument flying". It is not just for IFR pilots.

Its too easy to get in dark night sparse populated areas that have no ground references. Also cross country you may fly into hazy conditions that gives little ground refrence. So I think Gyros in a VFR plane is not wasted. If all you are going to do is local day VFR flying, I would pull all the gyro stuff out, but a Glasair is a fast high flying cross country plane and gyros are well suited for that mission.

Making the switch
As far as fixing or EFIS switch that is up to you. I don't think you can go wrong either way. How long do you plan to keep the plane? Some people are selling their original Dynon EFIS 10 for later models. I have seen some on eBay. They are great units and could bolt it right in where your AI is, replacing the AI and DG. Keeping the AS, Alt, TC, VSI you would have a nice panel with redundant instruments. I would say if you installed the Dynon EFIS 10, you could do it in about a week part time (10-20 hours?). If you got a EAA buddy who has installed one it would be nice.

You can buy a prefab wire harness. You can use the optional remote magnetometer (recommended) but takes a little more work. I never worked on a Glasair but bet working under the panel may be a nightmare, especially if you have to lay on your back and work upside down. To make sense from a dollar and cents standpoint you would have to do the labor. I have no idea how long an avionics shop would take at $100/hr. Ouch :eek:

George

Last edited:
Thanks George. That's a great answer, but just one correction. I have a Glastar not a Glasair. Still a fast airplane, but not as fast as a Glasair or an RV. I don't think it invalidates any of your answer, though.

I do have an instrument rating, but I'm not current. I could certainly make use of the gyros in the conditions you describe. In the year I've had the airplane I've never flown it at night, but I think here in rural Idaho some type of attitude gyro would be a necessity for night flight.

I think I'm going to hold off on a more agressive decision until I do some simple stuff that's been suggested here and on the Glastar list. I'll certainly replace the filter. I've already checked all the hoses. They all look in good shape with no cracks or sign of deteriation. I did find one of the hoses connected to the regulator doesn't look quite right. That's the way it has been based on pictures I took under the instrument panel when working on other stuff. Maybe it's finally slipped some.

I think the least labor for a no-vacuum option would be the Dynon D10 as you mentioned or possibly one of the new ADI's from TruTrak. The other idea I have is to replace the DG and AI with an in-panel Garmin 296. From the measurements I've taken, that would require replacing that section of the instrument panel. You are certainly correct about working on your back under the panel. I did several hours of that last year replacing the turn coordinator with the Trutrak Pictorial autopilot and a new stereo intercom.

Thanks to everyone for the responses.

Ken

Back