What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

used CP-214 not squeezing AN470D4 rivets

I bought a used CP-214 rivet squeezer, and it squeezed 470D4-4 rivets only, nothing longer like a D4-6. Now it doesn't squeeze any 1/8 inch rivet...still dimples well. I tried it on my neighbor's compressor at 135 psi without any luck. My Sears compressor gets up to 100 psi. Thoughts? Thanks!

Mine squeezes the longer -4 rivets but I sometimes, not always, have to do it in stages, first going part way and then readjusting the squeezer and finishing.

Dave

My squeezer had the same issue and the same resolution. This is where the adjustable set really comes in handy. Do an interim set, adjust and do the final set. To save time, you can interim set a bunch of rivets, adjust and go back through and final set them all at once.

Good to know, thanks. I've found a repair facility and will send the unit there, since it's not squeezing anything at this point but my patients...soon to be my wallet...the joys of online buying.

While there may well be something wrong with your squeezer, before you send it in, make sure you are adjusting your set so that the squeezer is using the very last bit of its travel to squeeze the rivet.

If you are trying to squeeze early in the "action", the squeezer doesn't have the force to do the work. All of the strength is in the last little bit of the throw.

Lots of threads on this issue, try a search.

This is pretty basic, but the throw must be adjusted for each rivet length so it is in fact squeezing the rivet in the last bit of throw. The reason we use different size rivets is to span various thicknesses of metal. You should not see that much variance in the amount of throw needed for different rivet lengths. They are usually adjusted by using a wrench on flats of the moving part that the rivet set is inserted in. It is adjusted for the thickness of the material. If a rivet has to be squeezed further to get it to set, it probably is too long for the application.

They are usually adjusted by using a wrench on flats of the moving part that the rivet set is inserted in. It is adjusted for the thickness of the material.

This is true when a pneumatic squeezer has an adjustable plunger.
A lot of squeezers do not, and require using different length rivets sets (and sometimes shim washers) to account different rivet lengths.

Most rivet squeezers can be converted to using an adjustable plunger if it doesn't have one. HERE is one option.

Your advice worked. I adjusted the squeeze to happen at the end of the throw and it squeezed the rivets. Saved me two trips to the pneumatic rebuild guy and the cost, thanks! :)

Back