What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Update on Smokey, the RV-9A, estimated repair costs

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
Well, I'm glad the plane was fully insured...

The additional items beyond the repair estimate (below) that we know about and are watching are paint touch-up -- essentially every upper surface on the plane, plus the fin and rudder; and any propeller work beyond the funky leading edge corrosion, far beyond normal abrasion. Paint matching and touch-up should be less than $10K; and the propeller will be zero if it's okay, $10K to replace. (Anybody got a great deal on a new Hartzell constant speed for an O-320?)

So... Estimate from the shop is $13K; and $2.3K to Garmin for fixed price service to clean out any soot that might have crept in to the cooling air channels in the GTN and the transponder. Probably a few other little things.

It looks like all this will come in maybe under $25K, but there might be $10K more if the prop doesn't pass muster.

This level of repair is to get rid of all smoke and soot-induced corrosion, but it is not to put the plane in concours condition. Smokey has a thousand hours on her, so she's past the looking-like-brand-new stage.

The plane is airworthy now (after they check the prop corrosion) because the corrosion has only just started and it will take a while before the corrosion grows to dangerous levels. The shop will work on the plane but no longer at AOG priority. My guess is that completing everything may take a few months, but I'll be able to fly it when they're not working on it.

Looking back at comments on the previous post, there were a number of enthusiastic comments unhindered by fact....

UPDATE: The leading edge of the prop dressed out satisfactorily, so the prop does not need to go to the prop shop nor be replaced. One less hassle to deal with!!

Last edited:
Good news

Good News. Glad it is all working out.
Let us know if we can do anything to help get you fully flying again.

Glad things are looking a LITTLE better, Ed.

Side note: as a retired guy, I think I'd like a gig at Garmin cleaning soot out of avionics for $2,300 per piece. I could work from home...

Glad things are looking a LITTLE better, Ed.

Side note: as a retired guy, I think I'd like a gig at Garmin cleaning soot out of avionics for $2,300 per piece. I could work from home...

It's a fixed price repair. Presumably it would cost the same if an elephant stepped on it, or if I send them a smokey puddle of electronic parts...

But it was insured and approved by the adjuster...

Last edited:
I was just sent 2 new Garmin auto pilot servos to trade with the ones I installed in 2013 for no cost to me. To me that is a great reason be happy I have a Garmin G3X system.

As for fixed price repairs, that is pretty much standard for electronics now.

Back