What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Unleaded Avgas Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I'll care once some version of UL fuel is widely available in my region of the country. Until then, meh.

And not financially prohibitive, which probably will never happen. I am looking forward to potential for cleaner, less lead deposits, in my engine.

Last edited:
LyondellBasel contacted me a number of years ago in search of an ignition system with programmable timing to do detonation sweeps while testing their UL fuel. Turned out we didn't supply them but I knew the program was quietly proceeding under PAFI while GAMI got fed up with the FAA and the PAFI program. Swift introduced their 94UL and kept kept plodding along with the 100 replacement fuel under the eyes of the FAA.

LyondellBasel told me at the time, they had a formulation that was very close to 100LL in specific gravity and showed a lot of promise meeting all the other requirements.

These guys have vast knowledge and have the size, money and refining capacity to do this all themselves. Could be the ones to finally crack the nut and actually produce and widely distribute UL Avgas. I wish them luck here.

100UL

So what is wrong with the present 100UL fuel?
I dont understand why the FAA needs to spend money on someone else's development when we have one. The FAA can buy out the rights to the existing 100UL fuel and stop wasting money.
From what i understand the existing 100UL fuel was developed by the military after WWII and GAMI just adapted it and went through the decade of testing.

Attended the Los Angeles County airport commission meeting yesterday. Public perception of the effect of lead on residents near the Whiteman airport is a driving force in the attempt to close the GA airport with 600 aircraft. Paraphrasing, the commission did a survey of users at Whiteman and as much as 90 percent of the fleet was UL94 compatible but because the wholesale price of UL94 here is as much as $2 a gallon higher than 100LL none of the fuel vendors can justify offering it.

Last edited:
Reactions: JGT
I dont understand why the FAA needs to spend money on someone else's development when we have one. The FAA can buy out the rights to the existing 100UL fuel and stop wasting money.
From what i understand the existing 100UL fuel was developed by the military after WWII and GAMI just adapted it and went through the decade of testing.

GAMI fuel is STC'd for most airplanes. The FAA was really looking for a drop in replacement meeting an ASTM spec I think.

GAMI fuel is STC'd for most airplanes. The FAA was really looking for a drop in replacement meeting an ASTM spec I think.

The problem with a 100LL replacement fuel is not technical, as shown by GAMI's extensive G100UL data, it is political. GAMI went against the PAFI/EAGLE government bureaucrats and spending many millions on a 10-year program that may or may not generate an answer by 2030. The FAA could fix this tomorrow by simply issuing rule declaring G100UL as an approved replacement for 100LL in any certificated aircraft requiring the use of 100LL based on GAMI's STC test data and approvals. The FAA will eventually have to issue such a rule for any ASTM spec fuel in order to use it in type certificated aircraft without an STC. Sadly, the STC route is the only path open to GAMI to legally work around the FAA PAFI/EAGLE game.

Maybe California will ban 100LL statewide and force everyone to buy a GAMI or SWIFT STC for G100UL or 94UL if you want to buy gas there. That action would have enough impact to force the FAA's hand and provide a sufficient demand signal to the refiners and distributers to get this off dead center.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

Faa

The FAA controls the STC process. Seems to me GAMI has produced a fuel eligible for approval or eligible for an ATSM spec. But the FAA controls the process.

The FAA controls the STC process. Seems to me GAMI has produced a fuel eligible for approval or eligible for an ATSM spec. But the FAA controls the process.

The GAMI STC was based on GAMI generated data with GAMI being responsible for it versus FAA generated data in the PAFI process. The GAMI fuel has a higher density than 100LL and therefore not a drop in. Weight and balance issues are dealt with in the STC process by changes to each aircrafts POH.

Not just the FAA. The OEMs and insurance companies also can't afford the liability risk for for a fuel that isn't produced to an industry-approved standard.

Update on the valve recession issues on the University of North Dakota airplane fleet with the Lycoming engines while using the UL94 fuel. The university reverted to the 100LL fuel for now.

So it seems Lycoming thinks the issue is real, but not sure what caused it. But Lycoming is recommending not so aggressive leaning. GAMI stated they dis agree with the FAA’s suspected cause, and claims to have data on the real cause.

I am just wondering how different the G100UL is from the 94UL?
Is the G100UL a better fuel?

Also brings into question how the PAPI fuel will fair. It seems like we need to have a new unleaded fuel in use for a few years while still maintaining an overlap of availablility of 100LL in case there are unforeseen problems

126 cylinders replaced in 46,000 flight hours - that's an average of 326 hours per cylinder while "flying to POH spec". Something tells me the wear may be associated with how the aircraft is being flown.

I personally have over 1600 hours running 93E10 (lots of aromatics), and all my cylinders are in excellent condition. Something doesn't smell right with their statement.

Last edited:
........GAMI stated they dis agree with the FAA’s suspected cause, and claims to have data on the real cause.,,,,,,

My skeptical brain jumps to the presumption, based on previous GAMI statements, that their G100UL is a splash blend containing a fair amount of aromatics? Why wouldn't they disagree. This story is far from over.

My skeptical brain jumps to the presumption, based on previous GAMI statements, that their G100UL is a splash blend containing a fair amount of aromatics? Why wouldn't they disagree. This story is far from over.
George says he has the data and will disclose it at some point, I'm interested to see it. I have enough gray hairs to have an instinctual distrust of pretty much any FAA statement just on face value, and actual data speaks with more authority IMHO. Waiting to see what develops...

George says he has the data and will disclose it at some point, I'm interested to see it. I have enough gray hairs to have an instinctual distrust of pretty much any FAA statement just on face value, and actual data speaks with more authority IMHO. Waiting to see what develops...
Understood completely, Sir; but,
there's a lot of money (sunk cost and future profits) at stake. Makes me have an instinctual distrust of anyone involved.

Understood completely, Sir; but,
there's a lot of money (sunk cost and future profits) at stake. Makes me have an instinctual distrust of anyone involved.
Agreed we need data.
I would like to see G100UL in the fleet for data. If I remember, this formulation of G100UL is based on a fuel from the end of WW2, and I do not know what tweaks GAMI did to create G100UL. But the sooner we start using it, the sooner we will know.
I also agree that there is a lot of money on both sides of this 94 UL issue. And some of the money controls the data.

I also believe octane relates to ease of lean of peak operation. And I understand the G100UL might really be closer to 130 octane, so would really like to try it.

I would love to fly with unleaded avgas but I can sense that not information are released when the GAMI guy issue a statement or speak in public.
I hope more big flight schools can test out the UL94 instead of just one university.

126 cylinders replaced in 46,000 flight hours - that's an average of 326 hours per cylinder while "flying to POH spec". Something tells me the wear may be associated with how the aircraft is being flown.
That only works if you're talking about one-cylinder engines. It's "flight hours," not "cylinder hours." If all of the hours were on Barons, for example, the total number of cylinder hours would be 46,000x12 = 552,000 cylinder hours. Divide that by 126 cylinders and you get 4380 hours per cylinder. If all the time was 4-cylinder singles (and it isn't), that would still average 1460 each.

100UL

And 100LL accounts for .30% of fuel consumed in the US. We could get rid of the lead for the fuel and just provide a lead substitute for those that need it in their engines. I've been running non-leaded fuels for years.

After the Lycoming statement, a statement from Swift Fuels on the exhaust valve seat recession issue using their 94UL fuel. Time to get the popcorn! 🍿

"In response to our story on that analysis, Swift Fuels CEO Chris D’Acosta wrote a statement in the comments section below that story (copied in full below) calling Lycoming’s assessment “inconclusive” and disputing the claim about the aromatics. D’Acosta did, however, recommend adjusting operating procedures to reduce the risk of valve issues. “Swift Fuels would advise pilots to limit extended flight operations at peak EGT or lean of peak when flying UL94 unleaded avgas until the completion of a comprehensive analysis of the exhaust valve issue is documented and confirmed by industry,” D’Acosta wrote."
D'Acosta adds:
"NOTE: Swift Fuels’ new 100R unleaded avgas contains an anti-valve seat recession additive to prevent this type of valve wear in our 100-octane unleaded avgas product. 100R avgas recently passed over 400-hours of FAA-conforming engine tests, operating with sustained periods of high CHT’s and peak EGT’s, with no adverse signs of wear in the valve assembly."

Last edited:
But with the GAMi stc in place, I think the GAMI fuel has many more test cell hours than the Swift 100UL will have when it is certified. I feel the GAMI fuel was put through the wringer because the FAA was looking for an excuse to not approve. Whereas, the Swift fuel might get the kind glove treatment. That’s my fear. And then we are left with no 100LL, no GAMI 100UL and a poor Swift product that is unusable for higher octane engines.

GAMI set the bar pretty high, I hope SWIFT can meet it too.

That only works if you're talking about one-cylinder engines. It's "flight hours," not "cylinder hours." If all of the hours were on Barons, for example, the total number of cylinder hours would be 46,000x12 = 552,000 cylinder hours. Divide that by 126 cylinders and you get 4380 hours per cylinder. If all the time was 4-cylinder singles (and it isn't), that would still average 1460 each.
True enough, but that still seems disproportionately high.

I thought the most interesting news last week was that Vitol had 1 million gallons of G100UL in a storage tank in Baton Rouge and GAMI had received a certificate of authenticity for FAA conformance for it. Any FBO that wants to buy it can get it. I talked to the GM at our new FBO yesterday and they will not sell ANY UL Avgas until liability issues are addressed. The UND valve problem has them concerned about being sued by pilots for selling fuel that damages their engines. Waiting for the FAA to fix this is going to be like BasicMED all over again, foot dragging until 2035 and Congress passing legislation to force the FAA to its job. If the ADS-B mandate was any indication of pilot willing to pay for something new, it will take large subsidies/grants to FBOs for the new tanks and trucks, as well as a new $1 or $2 tax on 100LL to subsidize the higher 100UL cost.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

UL100E recently completed 350 hours of trouble-free durability testing in a Continental TSIO-550-K at the FAA testing Facility in Atlantic City. That corresponds to 150 hours under full rich conditions and 200 hours of flight cycles (89). Oil changes and testing every 50 hours, spark plug cleaning after the first 100 hours, replacement after 150. No spark plug cleaning or replacement during the last 200 hours. No evidence or valve seat recession, oil dilution or excessive viscosity increase. 9 engines and 8 aircraft to go, along with exhaustive materials compatibility testing. All summarized here if you are interested:

Why you still haven't seen G100UL at your airport (and may never) explained here:

1.2 million gallons of G100UL just hit the market. Don't believe all the BS that is out there. And the price point is quite good.

Any other potential fuels not only have to pass a bunch of testing, they need to be 100% fungible with 100LL and G100UL and fleet wide usable. And then get to market.

Reactions: Vac
1.2 million gallons of G100UL just hit the market. Don't believe all the BS that is out there. And the price point is quite good.

Any other potential fuels not only have to pass a bunch of testing, they need to be 100% fungible with 100LL and G100UL and fleet wide usable. And then get to market.
I think ASTM is trying to scare people because they are outsiders on the testing.

I think ASTM is trying to scare people because they are outsiders on the testing.
I am not sure what you mean by your comment. The fuel industry sells fuel meeting industry specifications (ASTM). That is how it works. I do not believe ASTM is pushing for a specification and I doubt they care.

1. What do you mean by "hit the market"? Where is G100UL being offered for sale and at what price? Sitting in a Vitol tank doesn't count as "hitting the market". Someone still has to distribute it. Help us out here...where can pilots buy G100UL and what is the price per gallon?

2. Your second point is mostly true, except for compatibility with G100UL. UL100E is 100% compatible with 100LL. Distributors who chose to deploy G100UL and pilots who use it will likely be stuck with it when the new fuels are deployed. Swift has already stated that their fuel is not compatible with it.

3. No unleaded fuel can be a drop-in for 100LL, even G100UL. Fleet-wide usable? Do you mean with no modifications in POH operating conditions, or even mechanical mods for some? No UL fuel can promise or deliver that. A number of engine operating manuals and POHs were developed around 100/130 leaded fuel and were not modified when 100LL was introduced. Do you really believe that it will be safe to fly UL fuels under the same conditions with no mods to any engines or POHs?

Some of you are 1-2 years behind the news. I can't help that.

There is a tiny insignificant company.....AvFuel.....ya probably never heard of them.

As for compatibility while G100UL and leaded avgas are fully fungible, it will be up to others that follow to be compatible. The PAFI process is a flawed and costly (taxpayer) exercise and anything that is promoting now is years away from the market even if the FAA only halves what they did to GAMI.

As for point 3 about being a fleet wide drop in? Yes. G100UL is. Fully. And just in case you are wondering I have had as close as one could get involvement in this product development without actually working for GAMI. ;)

No unleaded fuel can be a drop-in for 100LL, even G100UL.

Why not? ASTM D910 only specifies maximum limits for TEL, there is no minimum in the specification. If the physical properties in the standard can be achieved using alternative chemistries without TEL, there's no reason why an unleaded fuel can't meet ASTM D910 and be a drop-in replacement.

- mark

Is it really economically unviable to have a second mogas 93 octane option at airports for lower compression aircraft that have been configured to burn either? Especially at very active GA airports it seems like this would be an easy sell.

Is it really economically unviable to have a second mogas 93 octane option at airports for lower compression aircraft that have been configured to burn either? Especially at very active GA airports it seems like this would be an easy sell.
You mean side-by-side 2 versions of mogas available at the same airport? No, I don't see that ever happening. Too much infrastructure involved.

If it were viable, there’d be airports selling 100LL and MOGAS. There aren’t many.

Why not? ASTM D910 only specifies maximum limits for TEL, there is no minimum in the specification. If the physical properties in the standard can be achieved using alternative chemistries without TEL, there's no reason why an unleaded fuel can't meet ASTM D910 and be a drop-in replacement.

- mark
In theory, Mark, you are correct. In practice, this has proven to be elusive. Removing the lead from your typical FBO 100LL drops effective MON by ten to twelve points. This octane deficit is very difficult to overcome with cost-effective octane boosters while preserving all the other properties that are required for a drop-in fuel such as density, viscosity. low-temperature fluidity, fuel stability, deposit control, maintenance intervals, and materials and 100LL compatibility. Even returning to minimum spec D910 octane is a challenge. Just read GAMI's patent and you will understand.

ASTM D910 has a minimum motor octane requirement of only 99.6. This octane is insufficient for safe operation in a number of engines under all operating conditions listed in the operating manual and POHs for aircraft equipped with that engine. As I mentioned earlier, several of these engines were developed when 100/130 was still available. Modifications to these engines and/or their aircrafts POHs and operating manuals will be required for safe operation. These mods should have been implemented when 100LL was introduced. They are now inevitable.

Some of you are 1-2 years behind the news. I can't help that.

There is a tiny insignificant company.....AvFuel.....ya probably never heard of them.

As for compatibility while G100UL and leaded avgas are fully fungible, it will be up to others that follow to be compatible. The PAFI process is a flawed and costly (taxpayer) exercise and anything that is promoting now is years away from the market even if the FAA only halves what they did to GAMI.

As for point 3 about being a fleet wide drop in? Yes. G100UL is. Fully. And just in case you are wondering I have had as close as one could get involvement in this product development without actually working for GAMI. ;)

You seem to know more than most people about the GAMI fuel, so please enlighten us!

At what airports is AvFuel delivering G100UL and what is the FBO price?

What is the production octane for G100UL? Does it meet all critical D910 specifications? Have you seen a production spec for the product?

If it were viable, there’d be airports selling 100LL and MOGAS. There aren’t many.
I “do” remember pulling up to the pump island at almost any airport and having the choice between 100LL and 80/87. Those were two distinct fuels with the associated double infrastructure…. Why is that such a seemingly impossible task today, only a few decades later?

I “do” remember pulling up to the pump island at almost any airport and having the choice between 100LL and 80/87. Those were two distinct fuels with the associated double infrastructure…. Why is that such a seemingly impossible task today, only a few decades later?

Now at the fuel islands you get 100LL and Jet-A1.

So we're really talking about the introduction of MOGAS as a third fuel, not a second fuel.

- mark

Many small airports around Europe somehow seem to have found a way to have multiple fuel grades, usually 100LL, Jet-A, and either Mogas or UL91. Some have both Mogas and UL91. Almost every airport with fuel has 100LL and Jet-A. We frequently see UL91 or Mogas on a small fuel trailer. Seems strange that the much larger, busier US market can't get this going. If the recent Aero trade show in Friedrichshafen is any indication, there is some competition in the fuel market here, with Total Energies, AirBP, Warter, and ProEnergy all with huge booths at the show. No idea if they are making money, but they are spending it.

If I were running an FBO at a small airport in the US, I would be happy to add a fuel tank and another fuel grade if it made economic sense, and I was not increasing my potential liability in case of a problem with an aircraft after using the fuel I provided.

My home airport currently carries 100LL and Jet-A and has a 3rd tank that used to carry MOGAS. The tank has been empty for years because the airport can’t source MOGAS that does not have 10% Ethanol in it.

The California specific scenario GAMI communicated to me when I recently visited their Ada facility is that FBOs in Cali would wait until their current 100LL supply got to ~20% full or lower then order replacement 100NL from Vitol to go into the same fuel tank the 100LL is in. By the time the new fuel gets there the tank would be lower (say 10% full still of 100LL or less). The new fuel would be mixed with the old fuel in the FBO’s tank since the two fuels are STC’d fungible together. After 2 or 3 refills the amount of lead left should be so low as to be irrelevant and the FBO would have complied with the mandate. We’re not going to see price at the pump figures until something like this happens.

Flying a Rotax powered airplane this topic is of interest to me. I have asked at every airport I visit "when will you be offering an unleaded option" and more often than not the FBO manager is dumbfounded; they have not even heard of Swift or GAMI, the push for unleaded or even that some airports in California have mandated no leaded fuels. Then those that ARE aware of the unleaded fuel topic tell me that adding another fuel tank, pump, etc. runs in the $750,000 to $800,000 cost range and that earning $1.00 to $1.50 per gallon on the handful of Rotax and/or STC'd certified piston aircraft doesn't justify the investment. However, even the ones in the know don't "get" that the government is in process of forcing ALL piston aircraft onto unleaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back