What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

U-01402 Tight fit

BOHICA

Well Known Member
Installing U-01402 Sec 29 Pg 3. Instructions say: (Tri-Gear) Bolt the F-01442 Lower Drag Fitting and (Tri-Gear) Bolt the F-01442 Lower Drag Fitting and U-01402 Lower Gear Brace to the fuselage
as shown in Figure 2. Leave the nuts loose for now. Lower Gear Brace to the fuselage as shown in Figure 2. Leave the nuts loose for now.

All makes sense. However, on my QB wings the lower gear brace U-01402 does not want to go in unless I am willing to beat it in with a wood block even with the Boelube on.

I am thinking I need to machine down some until it fits. Or is it supposed to be this tight?

U-01402.jpg

Installing U-01402 Sec 29 Pg 3. Instructions say: (Tri-Gear) Bolt the F-01442 Lower Drag Fitting and (Tri-Gear) Bolt the F-01442 Lower Drag Fitting and U-01402 Lower Gear Brace to the fuselage
as shown in Figure 2. Leave the nuts loose for now. Lower Gear Brace to the fuselage as shown in Figure 2. Leave the nuts loose for now.

All makes sense. However, on my QB wings the lower gear brace U-01402 does not want to go in unless I am willing to beat it in with a wood block even with the Boelube on.

I am thinking I need to machine down some until it fits. Or is it supposed to be this tight?

View attachment 51041

I had to massage the brace a bit - used scotchbrite wheel to remove a tiny bit of material until it fit very snugly but it would go in without excessive force.

Also when you fit the gear leg it can be quite tight. Several threads on that topic including here:

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?p=1712981#post1712981

Last edited:
I dunno about the QB kit but doing the slow build I got really good at taking those things out and putting them back in. You just kind of have to find the trick to the alignment and then they slide in with just a little muscle.

I actually had the same problem with a tight fit for both braces. I gently filed one side of the braces with a file and installed them with a snug fit. I don't believe that this should be any less than a snug fit.

Don

Back