What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

trip advice Portland to Boise or to Spokane

flightlogic

Well Known Member
Patron
Taking a loop from Arizona to Portland next month in the RV. Last summer we came back the same way as the northbound leg. (coastal route) Looking for any tips and advice on whether it would be worth it to loop back through Boise, then Salt Lake... or even head north and go towards Spokane and Yellowstone. Any must see places or great hotels that forum members can suggest?
We don't mind high mountain crossings when the wind is calm.

The Cascade Mountain Range from Mt Shasta, McCloughlin, Crater Lake and so forth should give you more than ten snow covered volcanic peaks given the right weather...assuming you have not done that.
Stop at Sunriver, S21, free bikes or shuttle to the lodge for lunch or stay the night.

Spokane

Did Portland to Spokane (Felts field) last summer Via Columbia river gorge. Good flight and a neat smaller airfield with good Uber access.
From Felts it's only 150 miles to Gacier Nat' park(Kalispell city airport). Going over Idaho to Flathead is a great flight that can be done across the mountains or down the river valleys. The local pilots at Kalispell are very good at helping with weather and routes if you end up going south from there to capture Yellowstone on the way back south.

JD

If you visit Spokane Felts Field on a Saturday evening you're more than welcome at EAA 79's hangar. Normal Saturday nights are burgers with all the fixins'/popcorn/movies/pool in the lounge. We fire up the grill about 6 pm. Stop by if you can, but have a safe trip no matter where your journey takes you. :)

Nick,
If you get to the Boise area, let me know. I may or may not be in town, but I can leave an Explorer at the Caldwell airport if you need a car. I have a T hangar there but not sure if you in with my build too. I can check around with my airport buddies if you want.

My email is below. Wherever you decide to go, it should be great!

Back