What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Wing heavy vs Wheel fairings

Build9A

Well Known Member
This may not be a tip for everyone. Before I installed the wheel fairings and intersection fairings, my RV9A flew left wing heavy. After fairing installation it is flying ...almost.... straight, very slightly left. Soooo, my unscientific tip is don't try to fix a heavy left wing before fairing installation. My experience may be different than yours, maybe my rigging was off and was corrected by fairings that were off in the opposite direction. 2+2=.05. Whatever, I am leaving well enough alone. Also, I am a slightly heavy pilot (235) and sitting in the left seat may contribute to the minor tilt. duh? Once I add weight to the right seat, I bet the whole operation will be fixed. Even though my conclusions came about by chance and not by design, I still think it's a good tip. Jack

thanks for the tip

I will be needing this info, hoping I accidently got everything straight.. and
not heaving on one side.. hoping to find out in the next 4-5 months..

Danny..

Fairings are big aerodynamic forces

On thing you might want to try is fly as various speeds. Fly at 5,000-8,000 agl and fly at min speed and accelerate to high-speed cruise and note the difference. Than start a higher speed decent (Vne) in smooth air. If the roll trim stays constant, you can declare success. If not, one or more of your roll forces and balancing forces is being overcome. The other way to do this is balance the roll at Vne and slow down to slow speed and check again.

From what you described you where out of rig some how and the wheel / gear fairings balanced it out. Obviously this is not ideal, but if your roll trim remains balanced thru a wide range of speeds, as shown above, you are as close as you can get.

As far as your weight, it is only a small factor, since you are only 10-12" from centerline. 5.0-4.5 gal in the right wing will balance your wt out.

Have fun flight-testing. George

PS you can check your fairing alignment with color dyes and flight test. It leaves an indication of how the air is flowing around the fairings. You are looking for symmetric flow on opposite sides.

Back