What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Time to scrap the RV6A

Status
Not open for further replies.
This what I would do and I, like you, would never sell my 6 whole due to liability concerns. Sell various different piece parts to different people and the liability all but disappears. If you sell your 6, you will forever be the manufacturer of that 6 and carry that liability as long as that plane exists. If you sell your engine, Lycoming is and always will be the manufacturer and carry the liability accordingly. Shedding liability is mostly about eliminating the negligence. Negligence is easy to prove with manufacturers and very hard to prove with 3rd party transactors.

When a guy runs out of gas and slams his 172 into a mountain, his family sues cessna and most always wins. Sadly, the court doesn't allow you to say that the idiot ran out of gas. Doesn't matter that 150 mechanics have touched it and 25 people have bought and sold it and Cessna hasn't seen it for 70 years, it is Cessna that looses. You want to be in a position to look like the buyer, seller or mechanic and less like Cessna.

Larry
Yeah, our society has become about shedding liability while eliminating accountability; As there is ZERO excuse for running out of gas in an airplane (your example), the pilot should be fully accountable for the resultant situation.

I've received a tough medical report and will no longer be able to fly the RV6A. A good friend who is also my attorney has frankly concurred with me that is doesn't make sense to sell the airplane because of the potential liability.

It's been a wonderful adventure after 8 years of building and 22 years of flying. The money spent was well worth it so I have no regrets about walking away.

The issue is that I really have no idea how to go about scrapping an airplane. Has anyone ever had to deal with this?

J Allen
I am an A&P mechanic and pilot. I’d be interested in buying your scrap. Give me a good price and I’ll give you a receipt for your scrap. I’ll come dismantle it, get it with a truck and haul it off.

I would like to have all the records included with the sale.

We can make your receipt say anything you’d like.

I bought the engine for my -3B from a guy parting out his One Design for this same reason. He sent a pic of the plane in pieces on the floor of his hangar. Its a crazy world we live in.

I was at the airport today and stopped by to shoot the breeze with the manager and she is an employee of the aviation school. She stated she has taken in donations for the school and gave me a brief rundown.

A donation agreement is done.
The agreement states things like the plane will not be sold or flown, AND it is for instructional purposes for the aviation maintenance A&P technology program.

If the donation exceeds $5000, the donee would be required to get a certified appraiser who would determine the fair market value and would fill out IRS form 8283-Part 3, Section B. This puts the burden on the donee instead of the donor should the IRS question But since the appraisal is from a certified appraiser, no issues should arise.

The donor also provides a bill of sale.

Pretty cut and dry and may be the least path of resistance.

Not to make light of the current situation but it brought on a smile to think of a canopy with a few thousand practice holes in it.

I wish you the best.
W

Can't resist chiming in - perhaps it was the two glasses of Primitivo at dinner.

This topic comes up every few years. My view is that if the amount of money that an RV sale will net you is interesting, then you probably don't have deep enough pockets to be worried about being sued. If you have enough money that you don't care about scrapping the RV, then you are probably a target, and wise to scrap it.

When a guy runs out of gas and slams his 172 into a mountain, his family sues cessna and most always wins.
I'd like to see hard evidence of this statement. Not single cases, or anecdotes, but numbers of actual cases involving fuel starvation and the percentages for various outcomes. REAL data.

Thought of this when I read the post ...

I flew RC helicopters for a long time. They can kill you, quite easily, and I know of several folks who have been hit in the head, one died.

When we sell the RC helis we take the blades off and perhaps a few other things so it's not finished or flyable.

This requires the buyer to make it airworthy again and assuming all the liability.

My view is that if the amount of money that an RV sale will net you is interesting, then you probably don't have deep enough pockets to be worried about being sued.
My view is it is the opposite. ten years ago I worked with a guy who drove an eight or ten year old Kia/Hyundai (I forget which). Every day in the parking lot he took the time to install The Club on his steering wheel. One day we arrived at the same time and I waited for him to walk in together and I asked him why he installed the security device when there were many more desirable cars in the parking lot. His reply made all the sense in the world. He said that he could not afford full coverage and most full coverage deductibles would be at least half the value of his car even if he could so if someone DID happen to choose his car to steal he couldn't afford to replace it right now as all his money was going to his parents assisted living. He could not afford to lose. Perhaps the OP is in retirement years and losing his home and/or a big chunk of cash would be devastating.

My view is it is the opposite. ten years ago I worked with a guy who drove an eight or ten year old Kia/Hyundai (I forget which). Every day in the parking lot he took the time to install The Club on his steering wheel. One day we arrived at the same time and I waited for him to walk in together and I asked him why he installed the security device when there were many more desirable cars in the parking lot. His reply made all the sense in the world. He said that he could not afford full coverage and most full coverage deductibles would be at least half the value of his car even if he could so if someone DID happen to choose his car to steal he couldn't afford to replace it right now as all his money was going to his parents assisted living. He could not afford to lose. Perhaps the OP is in retirement years and losing his home and/or a big chunk of cash would be devastating.
I thought for sure that you were going to say that someone stole the "Club" and left the car!

This what I would do and I, like you, would never sell my 6 whole due to liability concerns. Sell various different piece parts to different people and the liability all but disappears. If you sell your 6, you will forever be the manufacturer of that 6 and carry that liability as long as that plane exists. If you sell your engine, Lycoming is and always will be the manufacturer and carry the liability accordingly. Shedding liability is mostly about eliminating the negligence. Negligence is easy to prove with manufacturers and very hard to prove with 3rd party transactors.

When a guy runs out of gas and slams his 172 into a mountain, his family sues cessna and most always wins. Sadly, the court doesn't allow you to say that the idiot ran out of gas. Doesn't matter that 150 mechanics have touched it and 25 people have bought and sold it and Cessna hasn't seen it for 70 years, it is Cessna that looses. You want to be in a position to look like the buyer, seller or mechanic and less like Cessna.

Larry
That is only true if the engine has a Lycoming data plate. No data plate no lawyer can prove whose parts went into the engine. Lycoming , ECI/Continental, Superior and in the case of EAB numerous no certified parts. Pistons, rings lifters, camshafts are a few examples.
It is much more difficult to get big settlements out of the certified aircraft manufacturers than it was 30-40 years ago because of significant federal reform. The days of 25 mil awards because some attorney showed in a courtroom how a Cessna seat could slip back are long gone.

Can't resist chiming in - perhaps it was the two glasses of Primitivo at dinner.

This topic comes up every few years. My view is that if the amount of money that an RV sale will net you is interesting, then you probably don't have deep enough pockets to be worried about being sued. If you have enough money that you don't care about scrapping the RV, then you are probably a target, and wise to scrap it.
that perfectly sums up my thoughts on the matter. The reason we see so few lawsuits in the Experimental world, IMHO, is that most people with large net worths (i.e. targets for contingency lawyers) do not build airplanes in their garage. There are a few, but the majority build EAB, because they don't have a $1M lying around to buy a cirrus.

Larry

that perfectly sums up my thoughts on the matter. The reason we see so few lawsuits in the Experimental world, IMHO, is that most people with large net worths (i.e. targets for contingency lawyers) do not build airplanes in their garage. There are a few, but the majority build EAB, because they don't have a $1M lying around to buy a cirrus.ably

Larry
Pretty sure $1M wouldn’t touch a new cirrus.

For that same $1M, there are arguably better and more capable aircraft available.

I've received a tough medical report and will no longer be able to fly the RV6A. A good friend who is also my attorney has frankly concurred with me that is doesn't make sense to sell the airplane because of the potential liability.

It's been a wonderful adventure after 8 years of building and 22 years of flying. The money spent was well worth it so I have no regrets about walking away.

The issue is that I really have no idea how to go about scrapping an airplane. Has anyone ever had to deal with this?

J Allen
And yet, all those thousands of EABs being bought and sold every year. They must have really crappy attorneys, eh?

Makes me wonder how there's any such a thing as a "pre-owned" aircraft.

And it leads me to ponder...what about all those other "potential liabilities" out there in other hobbies? How DO they manage to keep doing it? I'm thinking: kit cars like Cobra replicas and such; vintage motorcycle restorations; all sorts of boats...you get the idea.

My advice? Find a better attorney. Maybe one with experience in sales of EABs.

I'm not a lawyer, but I can appreciate the OP's concerns.

What I would like to see is perhaps an organization that would buy such planes (like that RV-6A) at a favorable price for research use. Put in a remote piloting apparatus and have vendors do tests on mods or product development in "sparsely settled airspace". For example, how much of a bump can the new nose leg take? What happens if you deploy a whole airplane parachute system at Vne? Open canopy in cruise? Balance the control surfaces to a specified value and see the speed where flutter really starts. Likely, there's all kinds of questions that can be answered. I'm sure the Air Force can even practice on them if there's no takers on research...

Given the 1000+++ hours of labor it takes to build an RV, it would be nice if they can be used in a productive manner at end of life.

Pretty sure $1M wouldn’t touch a new cirrus.

For that same $1M, there are arguably better and more capable aircraft available.
that wasn't really my point. More that those with cash burning a hole in their pocket will tend to buy a plane vs build one. Not saying that we are all building planes to save $, but more that those with large asset pools tend not to.

J Allen
I also have an RV-6A and would be happy to scrap yours for you. How does $5,000 sound? I accept Zelle or Venmo. 🤣🤣 Seriously, post the specifics of the airplane and list it for sale.

Perhaps, declare the aircraft scrapped with the FAA, make a similar log entry, and then sell it as scrapped aircraft. To get the airworthiness reissued, the new owner needs to make the airworthiness declaration. Generally it is easier for the buyer to part out the standard parts like the engine, radios, etc, but you get something in return.

I also have an RV-6A and would be happy to scrap yours for you. How does $5,000 sound? I accept Zelle or Venmo. 🤣🤣 Seriously, post the specifics of the airplane and list it for sale.
is the airplane still airworthy? Would it be something that a new owner could put some updates to maybe new prop, engine, avionics and have a good airplane? I am hunting for a project that is very close to flying or is flying and needs updates? If your plane as been reliable for 22 years why cant it continue!
Tom

is the airplane still airworthy? Would it be something that a new owner could put some updates to maybe new prop, engine, avionics and have a good airplane? I am hunting for a project that is very close to flying or is flying and needs updates? If your plane as been reliable for 22 years why cant it continue!
Tom
His lawyer freind has him convinced he could be sued if he sold it. I sent a PM offering to buy it as scrap. No engine or avionics. As is where is, no warranty, expressed or implied, and he can make the bill of sale say anything he would like.

I am an A&P/pilot. I can make my own determination of airworthiness.

If he got my message. He never responded. You would think that his lawyer would be some ‘hold harmless’, phraseology that he would be comfortable with selling a scraped airframe.

This just doesn’t seem like a difficult task to me. Two teenagers on Red Bull with sledgehammers could probably do it in 30 minutes. I mean, you could give it to a demolition derby. The options seem endless.

I’m reminded of the time that Richard Collins chose to scrap his 210. He could have done so without any fanfare, but apparently his real need was to TELL people that he was… a guy who would scrap a 210. It was about making a statement, or something. Not sure I understand it, but it’s a free country. 😃

Is the lawyer who recommended scrapping it a guy who has significant experience in personal liability law? There are many fields of law, and just because someone is an attorney doesn’t mean he knows much outside his own specialty.

This just doesn’t seem like a difficult task to me. Two teenagers on Red Bull with sledgehammers could probably do it in 30 minutes. I mean, you could give it to a demolition derby. The options seem endless.

I’m reminded of the time that Richard Collins chose to scrap his 210. He could have done so without any fanfare, but apparently his real need was to TELL people that he was… a guy who would scrap a 210. It was about making a statement, or something. Not sure I understand it, but it’s a free country. 😃
Only Sheldon "Torch" Lewis understood Richard. Torch is long gone. At a certain FBO where Richard rented airplanes only the CEO or VP was allowed to rent Richard an airplane. Due to Richards proclivity for flying in weather so bad that the birds were walking. I enjoyed Leighton Collins's writing. I still have a huge collection of Air Facts.

His lawyer freind has him convinced he could be sued if he sold it. I sent a PM offering to buy it as scrap. No engine or avionics. As is where is, no warranty, expressed or implied, and he can make the bill of sale say anything he would like.

I am an A&P/pilot. I can make my own determination of airworthiness.

If he got my message. He never responded. You would think that his lawyer would be some ‘hold harmless’, phraseology that he would be comfortable with selling a scraped airframe.
AH that stinks!
Thanks
Tom

A year ago, i was contemplating the same fate for my RV6. My wife and i decided that we wanted to fly more, so we kept it.

Reality has finally sunk in that i wont find a hangar anywhere near my retirement property that we are moving to, so this time I know its time to part ways with my trusty steed.

Like you, i will not be selling it whole. I will likely part it out, and i like the idea of donating the airframe sans the airworthiness paperwork.

Best of luck to you, i can fully appreciate how you came to your conclusion.

Don

Nobody has mentioned anything about the statute of repose. When that was passed in 1994, Cessna started building single engine airplanes again - if I am remembering correctly. As the manufacturer (builder) of your EAB aircraft, you are responsible, potentially, in terms of product liability for 18 years - after you have sold it - for anything that could be considered negligence on your part in the event of an accident and claim. The clock doesn’t start clicking until after the manufacturer has sold it.

Specifically:

The General Aviation Revitalization Act of 1994, also known by its initials GARA, is Public Law 103-298, an Act of Congress on Senate Bill S. 1458 (103rd Congress), amending the Federal Aviation Act of 1958.

It was intended to counteract the effects of prolonged product liability on general aviation aircraft manufacturers, by limiting the duration of their liability for the aircraft they produce.

GARA is a statute of repose generally shielding most manufacturers of aircraft (carrying fewer than 20 passengers), and aircraft parts, from liability for most accidents (including injury or fatality accidents) involving their products that are 18 years old or older (at the time of the accident), even if manufacturer negligence was a cause.

I don’t know if this law is still valid, but I think it is.

Even though this type lawsuit is infrequent, it does still happen. Chances of a successful lawsuit by the plaintiff in a product liability suit for an experimental aircraft are slim, but you still have to spend possibly large sums of money defending yourself.

Nobody has mentioned anything about the statute of repose. When that was passed in 1994, Cessna started building single engine airplanes again - if I am remembering correctly. As the manufacturer (builder) of your EAB aircraft, you are responsible, potentially, in terms of product liability for 18 years - after you have sold it - for anything that could be considered negligence on your part in the event of an accident and claim. The clock doesn’t start clicking until after the manufacturer has sold it.
Interesting, and I wonder how that would be applied in practise to an amateur-built. By the wording you've given, the "manufacturer" may own it for 30 years after it was built, and then be liable for 18 years *after that* when they sell it. Makes me think that any amateur-built aircraft completed should immediately be "sold" to the builder, by the builder, to show a sale occurred at time of manufacture and trigger the start of the 18 year clock.

Interesting, and I wonder how that would be applied in practise to an amateur-built. By the wording you've given, the "manufacturer" may own it for 30 years after it was built, and then be liable for 18 years *after that* when they sell it. Makes me think that any amateur-built aircraft completed should immediately be "sold" to the builder, by the builder, to show a sale occurred at time of manufacture and trigger the start of the 18 year clock.
I don't know that the applicability of this to EAB has ever been established, but it's an interesting point. For standard certified airplanes, The 18 year GARA clock starts ticking upon manufacture of the airplane. For EAB It seems reasonable that this would mean upon issue of the airworthiness certificate, not when it's sold by the builder/first owner.

Even if thats true, a potential gotcha here is that it's not a forever blanket that covers every widget on the airplane. Install a new alternator, or build a new rudder or whatever, then the 18 year clock starts for that component at that point, no matter how old the rest of the plane may be.

I am an A&P mechanic and pilot. I’d be interested in buying your scrap. Give me a good price and I’ll give you a receipt for your scrap. I’ll come dismantle it, get it with a truck and haul it off.

I would like to have all the records included with the sale.

We can make your receipt say anything you’d like.
This..... Is why you did not get a response from the builder.

It’s my understanding that the 18 year clock starts when the manufacturer sells the airplane, and that the law applies to all GA airplanes, including EAB’s. So when Cessna builds a 182, the statute time doesn’t begin until the plane is sold - by Cessna, even if it’s years later.
My former hangar partner, who built an RV8, moved away from Ohio to Connecticut and of course took his RV8 with him. After flying it for a few years, he sold it to a guy in Florida. After that guy had it and flew it for 8 years, he had a catostrphic inflight engine fire and tragically lost his life. About a year later, when the final NTSB report came out, my hangar mate was sued by the survivors of the victim of that crash. It is unknown how the airplane was maintained or operated during the 8 years after my friend sold it. The engine had come apart internally and punched a hole in the crankcase, causing an oil fed engine fire. The attorney that filed the lawsuit was from Texas, and I suspect an ambulance chaser that read the NTSB report. He also filed suit against the engine builder (ECI or Superior, I don’t remember), Hartzell, Champion (Slick mags), and a few others. The point being, you can be sued for things that are beyond your control. I’ve read on this website and other places, that no one has ever been sued SUCCESSFULLY in an EAB lawsuit, but you still end up spending tens of thousands of dollars defending yourself. I don’t blame the OP for wanting to destroy his RV6A rather than sell it. He also needs to make sure he de-registers the airplane, and destroys the data plate on the airframe, engine, or anything else that has a data plate.

It’s my understanding that the 18 year clock starts when the manufacturer sells the airplane, and that the law applies to all GA airplanes, including EAB’s. So when Cessna builds a 182, the statute time doesn’t begin until the plane is sold - by Cessna, even if it’s years later.
My former hangar partner, who built an RV8, moved away from Ohio to Connecticut and of course took his RV8 with him. After flying it for a few years, he sold it to a guy in Florida. After that guy had it and flew it for 8 years, he had a catostrphic inflight engine fire and tragically lost his life. About a year later, when the final NTSB report came out, my hangar mate was sued by the survivors of the victim of that crash. It is unknown how the airplane was maintained or operated during the 8 years after my friend sold it. The engine had come apart internally and punched a hole in the crankcase, causing an oil fed engine fire. The attorney that filed the lawsuit was from Texas, and I suspect an ambulance chaser that read the NTSB report. He also filed suit against the engine builder (ECI or Superior, I don’t remember), Hartzell, Champion (Slick mags), and a few others. The point being, you can be sued for things that are beyond your control. I’ve read on this website and other places, that no one has ever been sued SUCCESSFULLY in an EAB lawsuit, but you still end up spending tens of thousands of dollars defending yourself. I don’t blame the OP for wanting to destroy his RV6A rather than sell it. He also needs to make sure he de-registers the airplane, and destroys the data plate on the airframe, engine, or anything else that has a data plate.
I think this illustrates the key point that some responses on this thread fail to understand. Yeah, that scenario is stupid, and yeah it's not fair. But it costs nothing for a a lawyer that makes his/her living suing people for 30% of the eventual settlement to throw it against the wall and see if it sticks so you see this kind of shotgun approach. On the other side, the defendant can't just say "that's stupid" and ignore it, so it costs a significant amount to defend against it.

What about this idea...as part of the sales contract, include a clause that requires the buyer to buy and maintain a liability policy which indemnifies the *builder*?

I'm thinking of home mortgages, which require the mortgagor to maintain home insurance.

But it costs nothing for a a lawyer that makes his/her living suing people for 30% of the eventual settlement to throw it against the wall and see if it sticks so you see this kind of shotgun approach.
Well, it *does* cost the attorney...if it's a waste of their time, that's lost billable hours.

I have no idea what I'll do when the day comes. To me it comes down to likelihood of losing a case I guess. On the off chance that I were to be sued (I have no idea of the stats, but would imagine it's relatively rare when you look at successful sales vs those that end in a lawsuit at some point down the road), if I win, will the cost of a defense still be less than the cost of the sale of the plane? If I sell a plane for $150k and it costs "tens of thousands" of dollars to fight a rare lawsuit, I'm still way ahead of where I'd have been by not selling and never getting that $150k. If the plane is only worth $40k, maybe that's a different argument. Now, if people starting winning lawsuits against the experimental world, all bets are off and the comparison of what the plane sale generates vs a lawsuit is out the window.

What about this idea...as part of the sales contract, include a clause that requires the buyer to buy and maintain a liability policy which indemnifies the *builder*?

I'm thinking of home mortgages, which require the mortgagor to maintain home insurance.
This isn't going to work for a couple of simple reasons. first, the mortgage holder has a means to enforce that for the life of the mortgage, i.e. if you don't comply they can just add their own insurance and add the premium to your monthly payment, then drop teh foreclosure hammer if you don't pony up.

As A guy selling an airplane seller, even if such an insurance product existed as a cost a guy could afford (which I doubt) you really have no way to enforce what you're suggesting after the ink on the sales contract is dry. There's certainly no way to enforce it as the airplane transitions through subsequent owners. Like it or not, you will ALWAYS. be the manufacturer of this airplane, no mater how many owners it goes through.

Well, it *does* cost the attorney...if it's a waste of their time, that's lost billable hours.

You know what I mean.

There's a whole business model built around "Have you been hurt in an accident? Call Shyster and Associates, we'll sue the socks off anybody and you don't pay a dime unless we win."

The loss of billable hours is baked into this business model, just like the cost of inventory shrinkage i.e. shoplifting is built into a retail business model.

Obviously, the decision to sell vs. scrap for liability reasons has to be made on a case by case basis. For example, the federal government through ERISA protects (virtually) all 401k's from judgements, and most (but not all) states protect pensions, IRA's, 403b's, other retirement accounts and primary homes (up to a limit). If one holds most of their net worth in these type of assets, then selling their RV probably exposes them far less than one whose net worth is held in other non-protected assets.

When I first started my build 19 years ago I never questioned that I'd one day be able to recoup my investment through sale. What I've noticed the older I get though, and the closer to retirement I get, the more I have begun wondering about what will happen to my RV when I'm done flying. It's complicated enough to make my head hurt and a lot is potentially at stake.

Last edited:
Well, it's certainly within anyone's prerogative to destroy their own property. Frankly, I just refuse to live with such a fearful approach to life, or I'd never get out of bed. But hey, if you're going to scrap it, why not go all the way...haul it to a field and light the sucker on fire. Might as well do the job right.

I'm just glad the vast majority of EAB builders (and kit car builders, and boat builders, and...) have a more balanced, realistic view of life, or there wouldn't be ANY RVs for sale anywhere in the world.

I'm just glad the vast majority of EAB builders (and kit car builders, and boat builders, and...) have a more balanced, realistic view of life, or there wouldn't be ANY RVs for sale anywhere in the world.

Those who introspectively consider the impact on their estate and family when making a decision about the deposition of their RV have a very balanced and realistic view of life...........

Last edited:
With this scenario if the seller had a trust and therefore no personal possessions could they just show up in court let the case run and then state there is no money to pay any judgement? Asking for my future options.

As far as scraping the airplane, If the OP supports Ukraine They have been modifying lite aircraft to drones. The airplane can be disassembled for shipment and the parts can be sold or maybe donated without a data plate and without paperwork, try contacting the Ukrainian embassy.

You'd also have to require that the buyer enforce that requirement on all subsequent owners. Pretty tough to do.

Those who introspectively consider the impact on their estate and family when making a decision about the deposition of their RV have a very balanced and realistic view of life...........
House, car, retirement funds...all protected by law from creditors. As for the rest? It's a risk I'd be willing to accept. Still waiting to hear about the massive uptick in the numbers of lawsuits (successful or otherwise) against builders.

You'd also have to require that the buyer enforce that requirement on all subsequent owners. Pretty tough to do.
IANAL, but I do know that contracts can be written to include all sorts of things, even things that one might not necessarily think at first blush are possible. It was just a wild idea, anyway. But hey, who knows? Best thing to do? Ask a lawyer with experience in aviation.

Last edited:
With this scenario if the seller had a trust and therefore no personal possessions could they just show up in court let the case run and then state there is no money to pay any judgement? Asking for my future options.
Again, IANAL, but I think the only way this works is if it's an IRrevocable trust. Trusts are for estate management, not liability protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back