What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The VAF News 3.19.2024 ...the passing of Tom Stafford

Tennis elbow continues to make its presence known, requiring a switching of the mousing hand, and I picked up a monster head cold. I’m apparently falling apart <g>.

Read that Tom Stafford has passed at 93. https://www.space.com/nasa-astronaut-thomas-stafford-obituary. Was a fan - we had a couple of RV fly-ins back in the day in his hometown of Weatherford, OK. There is a nice space museum on the field. Reading his Obit I saw he received his pilot wings in my hometown of Waco, TX.

Hope you have a nice Tuesday. Today’s Off Topic is pretty appropriate. v/r,dr

VAF POSTS & RV NEWS THAT CAUGHT MY EYE.....dr:
—————————————————————————

The second longest relationship in my life.
After my wife passed away suddenly almost three years ago, I find myself reviewing our lives more often these days. As a result I found this old post from 2015 and thought it remarkable that while Mary and I had been together from 1968 t0 2021, where I met her at the Hayward airport, the next longest relationship of meaning has been my RV4. 89HM started her life in Idaho in 1985 where Harold built the vertical and horizontal while I was commuting to work in Chicago. After our move to Colorado, I was finally able to get into the project in "86, and we flew in 89. I hope Miss Fusion will remain with me for my duration.
This summer marks a thirty year anniversary of my RV4 and the memory of the remarkable man that introduced me to an equally remarkable plane.
In 1985 while returning from a training mission in south western Idaho for the National Guard, I flew over a small dirt strip adjacent to a work shop and spotted a shiny aluminum airplane. At 500agl I identified it as an RV4 having seen pictures of the airplane in Sport Aviation. I determined the position of this location on my map and the following day my wife and I rode the motorcycle to Murphy Idaho for a closer look.

What did you do with your RV this weekend? (March 16 - 17'ish)
Screen Shot 2024-03-18 at 12.18.09 PM.png

Is there such a thing as too bright?
https://www.vansairforce.net/threads/is-there-such-a-thing-as-too-bright.225413/
Screen Shot 2024-03-18 at 12.16.02 PM.png

Instrument Panel - Symmetric Vs. Asymmetric - RV-7 Slider …eric.the.blonde reply
Definitely symmetric. That's just who I am. I'm an accountant and work is all about the debits equalling the credits, or literally, the left equalling the right. It flows over into other parts of life: every Lego assembly is always symmetric, right down to the color of the bricks. And so goes this in-process panel...
https://vansairforce.net/threads/in...vs-asymmetric-rv-7-slider.225377/post-1755315
Screen Shot 2024-03-18 at 12.20.14 PM.png

Turbo’s Looking for a New Engine
2,000 tach hours now, having a cylinder replaced due to exhaust valve beyond wobble limits , feeling like time to go new again.
couldn't imagine a nicer guy than you to be know to be running these machines to the highest times.
by the way, I have a removed turn coordinator available to you if you can use it. get in touch if interested.
love the old rv pics in your collections. I think the last mystery pic one was from spurwinks event. the good old days.
thanks for all the engine info posted here. keep them coming. turbo out.
Screen Shot 2024-03-18 at 12.22.24 PM.png

New plenum build - RV7 …agent4573 update
Final update. 99% done. I ended up moving the oil cooler again and going with a 4" tube to feed it instead of the 3.5". Turns out my mental picture of where the dipstick went was wrong, and it ran straight thru first 3.5" hose routing. This new run is a lot shorter as well. The baffles probably need one more round of RTV sealing to get every last hole, but I think this is a huge improvement over the same James setup. There's 2 pics down the inlet to show the difference between the SJ plenum inlet and the new inlet. The new one is about 3" taller as well, and it makes a huge difference in the volume for expansion. Haven't flown yet, but taxied it around to check for leaks and it's all good. The one oil line is pulled fairly tight, and I ordered a 2" extension fitting, but ordered a -10 instead of a -8 by accident so I'm stuck one more week waiting for that to come in. Overall, I think I have about 200 hours into this plenum and baffle.
Screen Shot 2024-03-18 at 12.25.47 PM.png

Flap Indication …planenutz
In fact I tend not to use the cockpit indication at all and out of habbit simply glance out at the flap position. I had our local signwriting shop make up the vinyl drawing and I applied it myself. In my case it took a bit of planning to get it not only sized right but also located right too. I have the flap positioning system with detents at 10, 20, 30 and 40 degrees.
Screen Shot 2024-03-18 at 12.26.35 PM.png

Garmin GEA-24 Direct P-lead Connection
I'm hoping for some input from G3Expert here to my two questions at the end.
I'm helping a friend with his G3X. The Tachometer suddenly started reading much higher than the actual as well as reading erratically, pegging out and a red X appearing. He was using a tach vent magnetic pickup sensor which had been working fine. Looked at the option of using the 400K resistor to the p-lead but a caution note indicated the GEA-24 must be Mod level 2 and his unit is Mod level 1.
https://vansairforce.net/threads/garmin-gea-24-direct-p-lead-connection.225384/
Screen Shot 2024-03-18 at 12.28.05 PM.png

Canopy skirt in FG
Screen Shot 2024-03-18 at 4.53.18 PM.png

OFF TOPIC:
Screen Shot 2024-03-18 at 12.33.55 PM.png

PS: Older issues of the ‘VAF News’ can be found at:

Back