What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The VAF News ….4.23.2024

As I'm typing this up an RV-4 is flying by my window. A local resident here, and a plane I've flown formation off of. I sometimes wonder if I should've picked the four instead of the six back in the mid 90’s to build. Don't get me wrong, I love my six, but the few times I've flown a four……well that model is just magical.
v/r,dr

VAF POSTS & RV NEWS THAT CAUGHT MY EYE.....dr:
—————————————————————————

What did you do with your RV this weekend? (4/20-21/2024).
https://vansairforce.net/threads/what-did-you-do-with-your-rv-this-weekend-4-20-21-2024.226242/
Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 4.27.19 PM.png

Thank You! …Pete Howell 9A
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone here who has helped with my RV along the way. The past few months, it has been a very useful tool to cover a lot of ground.

In January, my 88-year-old mom suffered a severe gall badder attack - she spent time in the hospital and stabilized. At the end of Feb, she was healthy enough for surgery. Well, it did not go as planned. The same day, outpatient procedure turned into a 2-week hospital stay, complete with emergency surgery and an ICU stay, followed by 2+ weeks in a rehab facility.

Minneapolis is an 8-10 hr drive from South Bend, but it is only 2.5 via RV. The plane has allowed me to be there almost weekly (and sometimes twice) to spell my sister when she needs it and to be with my mom.

Did a day trip down there yesterday and Mom is doing great, almost all the way back. I'll head down later this week to get her to some doc appts.

Once - again my thanks, and look for me burning up the skies of MN, WI, IL, IN, and MI along the way. The plane knows KANE - KJOT - 3HO - 3TR by heart now!
https://www.vansairforce.net/threads/thank-you.226295/

Avionics Systems Output ….site advertiser
Here's an RV-9A panel we just completed for a customer who wanted to upgrade and update from the VFR panel that was in the airplane when he bought it. Nice all Garmin panel with everything he'll need for his IFR mission!
https://vansairforce.net/threads/show-us-your-panel.12863/post-1763246
Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 4.26.11 PM.png

Rudder cable rubs on ELT mount?
I have the Vans optional ELT mount that rivets to the tailcone J channels immediately aft of the baggage bulkhead. The rudder cable runs under the mount, between it and the tailcone skin. After rigging the rudder the other day I noticed that the rudder cable lightly rubs on the edged of the mounting plate.

I'm not worried about that thin aluminum damaging the steel cable, but sooner or later the cable is going to saw a groove in the mount. Plus it' just bad form to have stuff rubbing like that.

Based on how this is designed, I can't be the only one who's run across this, so what are people normally doing back here?
Thread 'Rudder cable rubs on ELT mount?'
Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 4.28.15 PM.png

PAINT Aircraft Disassembled Before Flying or After Assembled and Flying or MIx of Both
…Carl Froehlich reply
I have done it both ways, RV-8A after Phase One, RV-10 before the airworthiness inspection, RV-8 after Phase One. There are pros and cons for each. But to your specific question all were painted with all control surfaces, fairings and wings removed.

For the fly then paint planes, the fiberglass parts were finished and primed (cowl inside and out). They got a light sanding before final paint. The aluminum was bare. Here pay close attention to cleaning the skins to remove contaminates. If not you will immediately find the bad spots as soon as you hit them with primer.

The booth was built in my hangar. It worked very well but was no where near big enough to fit the plane in with wings attached (nor would I want to). I found the bottom of the fuselage to be the biggest PITA, so I can only imagine how bad painting the bottom of the wings while still on the fuselage would be. With the wings off it is easy to flip them around between two tall saw horses to paint each side.

Taking wings off of an RV-10 or 14 is easy, the RV-8 is harder but not impossible. While I painted the first three builds myself, I’m looking for a paint shop that will do the new RV-10.

Side note - the other big pro for flying then painting is if you end up with a weeping gas tank rivet. I only had one (first build) but easy to fix before paint.
Post in thread 'PAINT Aircraft Disassembled Before Flying or After Assembled and Flying or MIx of Both'
Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 4.29.41 PM.png

OFF TOPIC:
Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 4.31.03 PM.png

PS: Older issues of the ‘VAF News’ can be found at:

Back