What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The Rotax RV-9 IS real!

updating a kit would mean more than just final sized holes. It would mean a comprehensively engineered package for the engine, avionics, etc. It would most likely be built like the E-LSA RV-12 with little to no design work or third party sourcing required by the builder.
That's true. I can see Van's building an RV-9 S-LSA while only documenting those things internally... but in order for the E-LSA to become an option, indeed, you pretty much need instructions and systems at the RV-10/12/14 level of detail and specificity, documented for builders.

I had an interesting phone conversation yesterday afternoon with Phil Lockwood, of Lockwood Aviation, about this project. Just a few tidbits I gathered from the conversation...
  • They are planning on releasing a full hardware "kit" to builders for their own installation. Their shop and their labor could be made available for the installation, but that's not being looked at yet, the plan is for owner-install of a FWF kit.
  • Half-fuel solo climbs of 1800 fpm are being seen into the upper teens at full power - though the Rotax is time-limited for full power.
  • Cruise speeds in the low 190's knots true in the 17k-19k altitudes in normal "go-fast" mode with higher fuel burn, and 10 knots slower in eco mode (LOP).
  • Good cooling results with the second iteration of the cowl, but they are going to put the 916 in now and test with that to make sure enough cooling is available for the higher takeoff-rated power of the 916. Both the 915 and 916 are rated for 135 continuous.
  • 135hp continuous is available to "about 19,000 feet" according to Phil, at which point it starts to taper off as the turbo is doing everything it can, there ain't nothing left.
  • Service ceiling will be FL230 due to high bearing rpm on the turbo.
  • They expect to be in production by the end of this year. We did not discuss price - I didn't ask and he didn't volunteer.
  • The rudder on the test aircraft is different - some readers here have spotted that it was replaced with not-quite-matching paint, including me. Phil said the rudder was replaced due to damage (not related to testing) and is the exact same design. No control surfaces or empennage surfaces were changed for the increase in Vne (approved by Vans). He told me that Vans approved using the IAS of 182 knots for Vne at altitude as a limiting factor rather than true airspeed. I believe EAA reported 205 ktas (which would be about 147 kias at FL190, depending on temperature) being a limitation, so maybe there is more to this story. This indicates to me (my opinion and zero confirmation) that flutter is not the primary concern for the Vne on the 9/9A model, at least at these expected operating altitudes.
  • A dorsal fin was added from the aft end of the canopy slide track (for a slider) back to the vertical stabilizer to improved yaw stability, in order to counter the longer cowl on the nose.
I would like to read the 205ktas EAA thing you referenced. I would also like to hear folks on this thread discussing on another turbo project for the airframe. Teal Jenkins put a 998T Yamaha (stock 205hp critical altitude 8,500 & and almost as lite as 915) in a rv9 and had several hundred hrs development time before a fuel line maintenance issue caused a fire and successful off airport landing. Anyway it too seems like a hell of a go fast idea. I am new here but will try to drop a YouTube link.

Agreed. Down low any RV is going to have a rough ride in thermals or mechanical turbulence. The 9A wing lets you quite easily climb above it.
Wondering why you think the RV9 wing works better than an RV-7 wing at altitude. My experience is they both fly the same speed on the same horsepower. I never seen any climb advantage. The RV-9 wing does fly slower!!!!

Wondering why you think the RV9 wing works better than an RV-7 wing at altitude. My experience is they both fly the same speed on the same horsepower. I never seen any climb advantage. The RV-9 wing does fly slower!!!!
Anyone that doubts the earlier RV wing’s high altitude capability needs to read about Bruce Bohannon and the Exxon Flying Tiger!

Skylor

Back