What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The Avionics saga continues...

It seems they bench tested the transponder and all was fine there but there was no flight test or further testing done after it was installed. I guess that's standard with a VFR only plane transponder certification - or at least that's what they're indicating.
That's not how I would allow a airplane to leave after I've worked on it. That is unacceptable.

Kinking something so severely that it can't pass enough volume to timely move that tiny diaphragm is a bet I would have lost. Should have followed my own advice and applied Occam's Razor.

It seems they bench tested the transponder and all was fine there but there was no flight test or further testing done after it was installed. I guess that's standard with a VFR only plane transponder certification - or at least that's what they're indicating.

Not an expert, but struggle to believe that is true. As your situation exemplifies, the transponder setup (incl alt enc) needs to be installed in the plane to verify accurate reporting. I believe there are FAA limits on how much leakage can exist in the static system during testing. Sadly, this doesn't help you even if they did it that way, as they broke your static system after the test.

Not an expert, but struggle to believe that is true. As your situation exemplifies, the transponder setup (incl alt enc) needs to be installed in the plane to verify accurate reporting. I believe there are FAA limits on how much leakage can exist in the static system during testing. Sadly, this doesn't help you even if they did it that way, as they broke your static system after the test.

It's been pretty frustrating but fortunately we were able to find/eliminate the kink in the static line and the transponder altitude appears to be working again.

It's been pretty frustrating but fortunately we were able to find/eliminate the kink in the static line and the transponder altitude appears to be working again.
With that severe kink, I'd replace the line. It is likely to crack there sooner or later, leading to ever more troublesome strange issues.

Back