What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tell me about Sun-n-Fun

bruceh

Well Known Member
I'm looking at flying from the San Diego area out to Texas for the Solar Eclipse on April 8. At this point I'm over halfway to Florida and Sun-n-Fun starts that week.
Is going to Sun-n-Fun worth it for a couple of days? How is the camping by your airplane experience? I've been to Oshkosh many times and will probably not be attending this year, so I would like to experience something new if I can. Are there other places to hit along the way or places to avoid?

I went to Sun-n-Fun last year. It is a much smaller show than Oshkosh. It is geared more to the experimental home built enthusiast. Camping is similar but with less amenities. There was one place to eat in the camping area and the bath facilities were trailers. We spent three days there and that was more than enough time to see everything. It is a good show and I would go again.

Oshkosh is much bigger but I really enjoyed Sun n Fun. They have a massive amount of booths you would expect to see. Just smaller. The airshow itself is great just like any other. I enjoyed it.

There are more changes coming this year to amenities. The island is getting more upgrades. https://flysnf.org/flying-in/the-island/ If you can easily get to the island, the NOAA parking lot is there and you can walk out to it. Uber eats, grub hub,… all will deliver to that lot with no issue. There is Publix Instacart drop off in the island. They do drop pub subs as well as other deli items. The rotisserie chicken was still hot when it arrived.

I go to SNF every year, and really enjoy it. It is smaller than OSH, as everyone has said, but they still have just about everything you could want. There are several places to eat and also a couple great bars right on the property. Last year was the first for the new upgraded camping area. It’s right next to an area they call “The Island”. There is at least one place to eat there at the Island, a small grocery/convenience store, a stage for evening entertainment, and just a gathering space. They get a little over 200,000 visitors over the 6 days.

I lived in FL from 2010 to 2019 and went to SnF 6 times. You can see everything in a day. It was ok.

For something NEW, suggest u go and then decide if it was worth it. I’m 2 hours away and went ONCE. Flown to OSH the last 5 years. Lots of other places to visit that I’ve been to multiple times. I’ll let the gang give u their $0.02.

Others have discussed how SnF has a different vibe from Oshkosh. It is certainly much more relaxed, being smaller. Heck, in your pilot swag, you get a gator sticker that says "This A'int Oshkosh". More specifically to the evening vibe and homebuilt camping, there are corn roasts nightly for one thing. But Heidi, Vic, and the others running HBC really do make that section feel like family. They've got basic breakfast goodies and some kind of dinner daily in the HBC Tent. It's the best (or worst?) kept secret I think. Yeah, it's a shower trailer and Port-O-Lets. But... it's camping. Maybe the only downside is you very quickly either get used to, or get annoyed at, the Amazon Air hub on-field. How do you handle the occasional overnight cargo jet?

By some miracle im actually on holiday in Orlando that week. Actually Universal with the family.
I have special permission from the wife to go to sun n fun for a day. Any particular day that would be best for RV stuff?

I last went in ‘98 when they released the -8. Remember it well, bright yellow rocket ship. Which is why I ended up building one!

I live about 2.5 hours by car from Sun n Fun, I usually go by car for a day trip. Thursday is the day I prefer to go. Any startup bumps have been smoothed out by Thursday, but it's before the crowds get big on Friday and Saturday.
And before anyone posts the obligatory 'you should fly there' comment, I have ZERO desire to fly in to Sun n Fun or Oshkosh. I don't like traffic jams on the ground, in the air even less.

I've gone to SnF many times and enjoyed the more contained and relaxed nature of it. Two things to be prepared for:
1) Between the morning dew and black central Florida dust your plane is wet and dirty every morning. I bring a squeegee and towels to clean up.
2) Don't know why (maybe because the land of white Cadillacs brings out more of a "different" generation), but my experience is far more uninformed fliers in the arrival procedure than OSH - more than once heard the controller say "sir, do you have the Notam?", followed by a "Duh" response, more than once had someone cut in front/across from me from out of nowhere. So, be careful!

I'm looking at flying from the San Diego area out to Texas for the Solar Eclipse on April 8. At this point I'm over halfway to Florida and Sun-n-Fun starts that week.
Is going to Sun-n-Fun worth it for a couple of days? How is the camping by your airplane experience? I've been to Oshkosh many times and will probably not be attending this year, so I would like to experience something new if I can. Are there other places to hit along the way or places to avoid?
If you like seafood, my must stop for lunch on the way home is Cedar Key. Land there and you’ll most like hear someone on the radio ask if you need a ride to the restaurants. If you don’t you can start walking and you’ll get a ride.

If you like seafood, my must stop for lunch on the way home is Cedar Key. Land there and you’ll most like hear someone on the radio ask if you need a ride to the restaurants. If you don’t you can start walking and you’ll get a ride.
Cedar Key is very nice !! Shortest public runway in Florida but for RV's no problem !!

Typically take our folding bikes or electric scooters.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-17 200445.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-17 200445.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Cedar Key Judy, as I call her, retired last year after a big hurricane hit there. She used to monitor the CTAF and ask if u need transportation. The lady now is Maria. But she only transports occasionally and does not monitor CTAF, as of Nov 23, my last visit. Definitely worth a visit. KCDK.
They do have golf carts that can be prearranged and that’s the most reliable method. Was somewhere near $20.

Having been to 90% of the EAA Oshkosh shows since 1975 and Sun 'n Fun twice for 1 day each time, I don't find Sun 'n Fun to be worth the time, money and effort to attend. For example, if Oshkosh has a dozen or more Mustangs, Sun ;n Fun might have a couple. Similar ratios apply for RVs and many other aircraft types.

I enjoyed the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola far more than Sun 'n Fun. Oshkosh does take significantly more time, money and effort to attend and I generally think it's worth it, but find it less so with each passing year. The Textron multi-million dollar airplane display gets more off putting each year, especially because it's front and center and darn near the first thing you see when you walk in the main gate.

HI gang,

Thanks for the comments from all points of view about Sun n' Fun. I've been volunteering there in Air Ops for the last 13 years, this year is the 50th anniversary and they're working hard to make this year something special, like the expanded Paradise City ultralight area after-hours exhibitions and flying. https://www.youtube.com/@flysnf

Like others have said, SnF is a lot smaller than Oshkosh, and Yes, you can see it all in a day but the fun is after hours walking around and meeting people, being invited for a beer by complete strangers and trading stories.

Since you're coming all the way out from San Diego spend some time flying around Florida, visit Kennedy Space Center (see if ATC will let you do an approach and flyover of the Shuttle Runway), the SEAL Museum, and other "Only in Florida" shit.

BTW, the "This ain't Oshkosh" sticker is not an official SnF thing. I know the guy who came up them, he's a little bit goofy and has a Chuck Jones style of humor, he just made the stickers up for fun. He also sells the shirts and donates profits to charity. https://www.cafepress.com/mf/115012839/this-aint-oshkosh_tshirt?productId=407582121

Last edited:
Bruce, if you don't go to SNF what will you do that's more fun? I've been to SNF a few times and always enjoyed it. Many of the same vendors are there, and they seem to have a lot more time than at KOSH. I predict if you choose not to go, you'll be questioning that decision while flying back home. You have to visit SNF at least once! :)

A couple years ago, we flew to Sun’n’Fun, or tried to. We were with a friend in his Lance. Approaching Lake Parker, the controller announced that the runway was closed, both holds were full, and no one else could enter the holds over the lakes. We orbited over another lake for 20 minutes until they re-opened. After they released three or four planes inbound, they closed it again and said it was going to be at least 25 minutes.

The holds had planes on the low and high orbits about every quarter mile, and trying to count planes on the screen showed we were #45 to 50 for arrival.

The controller at the lake said Winter Haven was prepared to take diverts, so we landed there. They had plenty of parking, golf carts to get us to the terminal, and passenger vans to drive us to Lakeland. I think the price was $20 a head for s round-trip ticket, which included picking our pickup day and time. It was about a 20 minute drive, if memory serves.

We took most of our gear and camped with friends in Vintage. (The Coconut Flyers compound was fun! Great party, live music, local beers.) The walk to the facilities was in a few inches of mud, and the showers were not being kept clean.

Last year we drove. One day was enough to see everything. The airshow was excellent, especially the night show. This year we’re going to drive for the day or rent a motorhome for an overnight or two.

Or...try The Fish City Grill right outside KLAL in the Shopping Plaza Across the Expressway north of the field...shrimp & grits, fish tacos etc. and good vibe.

Bruce, if you don't go to SNF what will you do that's more fun? I've been to SNF a few times and always enjoyed it. I predict if you choose not to go, you'll be questioning that decision while flying back home. You have to visit SNF at least once! :)
More (or as much) fun as SNF? There are plenty of options! For quite a few years my big yearly RV trip was to OSH… but doing that every year and having limited time for doing other ”bucket list” type trips, well, the other trips get left behind. So, over the last few years I’ve skipped OSH/SNF and done some bucket list trips; up through New England and Maine, flew the NYC Hudson skyline route. Landed at Kitty Hawk. I’ve made couple of trips to the west coast and up to Portland/Seattle/San Juan Islands. Johnson Creek, Telluride, Leadville. Through British Columbia to Fairbanks, Alaska. Bagged a landing north of the Arctic Circle. There’s LOTS of other stuff to see and do.

Then again, in looking at OP Bruce’s website/blog I see that there are some Florida items on his “to-do” list… perhaps the best bet is a day at SNF, then press on to the Everglades, Key West, Marathon, etc. Tie it all together in one big adventure.

As for my rather limited perspective on SNF, I‘ve done the show once with 4-5 days in 2016 as working crew on a touring warbird; it was fun for a bit, I saw what I wanted to see in a day, then I was ready to leave. I‘ll most likely do OSH again this year, haven’t had the RV there since 2018, but Sun N Fun? Nah.

Although Oshkosh HBC is fabulous...
SNF HBC offers more freebies for your camping dollars, such as coolers filled with beer, wine coolers, soda & water at no charge. Morning coffee, lunches, snacks & other goodies are also offered as well. A donation is suggested & most drop them in the donation jar upon leaving SNF.

Although Oshkosh HBC is fabulous...
SNF HBC offers more freebies for your camping dollars, such as coolers filled with beer, wine coolers, soda & water at no charge. Morning coffee, lunches, snacks & other goodies are also offered as well. A donation is suggested & most drop them in the donation jar upon leaving SNF.
I enjoy SnF HBC much more than Oshkosh HBC

We found SNF to be great. Got a hotel about 20 minutes away, rented a car, no big deal.
Very family friendly. You need to spend at least 2 days, maybe 3 days there.
Plenty of food concessions!
It was a very good time!

I went to Sun-n-Fun last year. It is a much smaller show than Oshkosh. It is geared more to the experimental home built enthusiast. Camping is similar but with less amenities. There was one place to eat in the camping area and the bath facilities were trailers. We spent three days there and that was more than enough time to see everything. It is a good show and I would go again.
I would say that it's less focused on experimental than Airventure is. I've been to sun n fun many more times than oshkosh and used to think of it to be about the same as airventure, just smaller..... but I've never really focused on the homebuilt side of things all that much. Planning to go to sun n fun again this year. I want to get serious about selecting something to build as a retirement project in the next year or two.
As I'm looking closer at the vendor list, almost all of the various kit makers that I am interested in seeing are NOT going to be at sun n fun this year. Vans is understandable given their financial issues this year, but many others aren't there either, sadly.

I remember last year...or was it the year before last....anyway, the last time I went I remember having the thought that sun n fun is a little bit 'confused'...an identity crisis. NOt sure who the intended audience is. Seems like a lot of the vendors are super high end stuff.... biz jets and SE turboprops.... some experimental focused vendors....a decent but small LSA area. Not much for rotorcraft...basically no sea or amphib stuff. I'd say mostly your typical accessories and supplies that cover everyone. They have some educational workshops and lecture presentations, but nothing like airventure....not as many big names, etc...

It's a good airshow and a decent "cover most" trade show. Definitey worth a visit in my opinion.

Pirep: Got here last night, there are already RVs in HBC and a scattering of other airplanes on the field. Ground is a tiny bit damp but safe to taxi, park, and sleep on.

If you're going to come down, early in the week is looking excellent. Temps are in the very low 80s with medium humidity and some rain expected Thursday as a front pushes through. Next weekend is still too far off to forecast.​

Attachments

• TAO (Medium).jpg
    TAO (Medium).jpg
    103 KB · Views: 43
  • SnF Air Ops 2024 (Medium).jpg
    SnF Air Ops 2024 (Medium).jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Hi Steve,

I had hoped to fly in for a day in my RV-4.
However can still only idle for about 20 mins before overheating.
Can you give me an estimate on taxi times to/from HB area?

Finn

Y'all have fun. I'm not going to be able to make it down after all. Medical stuff cropped up over the weekend. I'm over 40 - time for things to start breaking down. :ROFLMAO:😖

Y'all have fun. I'm not going to be able to make it down after all. Medical stuff cropped up over the weekend. I'm over 40 - time for things to start breaking down. :ROFLMAO:😖
You’re not going to like 50. Or 60… 🤣 But in all seriousness, get well soon - Oshkosh looms!

Arrived Sunday afternoon. Ground was dry. 80 during the day & 60 last night. Nice & cool for sleeping. Mostly RVs at HBC. They are treating us very well. The last 2 days, taxi to HBC was direct with no disruptions. 5 minutes maybe.

Went today.
Was awesome! Temps in the low 80s and sunny all day. Airshow was amazing, with loads to see and do.
Would definitely recommend if you’re on the fence about a visit.

Went today.
Was awesome! Temps in the low 80s and sunny all day. Airshow was amazing, with loads to see and do.
Would definitely recommend if you’re on the fence about a visit.
We were there also! Wonderful weather, tomorrow is suppose to be great also. A very laid back event, excellent food vendors, 4 nice hangers of aviation vendors plus more outside of the tents, lots of various airplanes for different folks. Airshow today very impressive. Tomorrow is our third day, really need another though. I'll post some pix if someone can tell me what this item is -
Something, Something, Old.jpg

I'll post some pix if someone can tell me what this item is -
View attachment 60580
It's a Norden bombsight (now we'll have to kill you! 😆).

The one shown below is taking aim at the West Seattle Bridge in 2010, right after taking off from Boeing Field. It's in the EAA's B-17G "Aluminum Overcast". It was great to have a chance to fly in it.

i-ZRq3vLn-X2.jpg

i-mpXwsGv-L.jpg

Last edited:
It's a Norden bombsight (now we'll have to kill you! 😆).

The one shown below is taking aim at the West Seattle Bridge in 2010, right after taking off from Boeing Field. It's in the EAA's B-17G "Aluminum Overcast". It was great to have a chance to fly in it.

i-ZRq3vLn-X2.jpg

i-mpXwsGv-L.jpg
WhooHoo ya got it! Ok. I’ll make today a day of snap shots of everything I think of that can convey what Sun-n-Fun is like. For folks far away I'll be their legs and eyes, and of course belly for this event. Maybe even add some images of RV's that made the journey.

IMG_8581.jpeg

I had a two day pass but found i saw everything I needed to in 8 hours. I tried to sit through one classroom but the guys running it were not prepared for the space they were in. I got up and walked out. I wanted to get eyes on as many completed 7s as I could as I’m entering the end game of my build. I was able to see maybe 6 and one was a buddy’s. Went to speak to the Dynon guys and I found that the most useful.

I could have stayed for day two but wanted to get back home and feel much of it would be a repeat.

I went this year for the first time. Got 2.5 days there and for the most part really enjoyed myself (Tues - Thurs). Lots to see. I have a wide interest in aviation so it was overload on the stuff to see. Did some of the EAA workshops. I thought they were good. The composites classes were really good. Especially the infusion layout process. It took over 2 hours, but well worth the time. Lots of knowledgeable people presenting in the seminar.

The vendor area was a bit overwhelming to me just due to the recognition of how much money I will need to spend on avionics and engine. Rhonda at Barret was helpful and insightful. Two of the other engine builders seemed less than enthused and seemed more narrow minded on providing options.....their prerogative, I suppose.

I did do one day of the 927 club. Nice for watching the airshow and having food available, but not sure if I would do it again. The airshow itself was an awesome show!!

Getting to and from the parking lot was a bit challenging pending on the time of day. It is a long walk!!!

I talked to a number of RV-10 builders and that was helpful and insightful!! Thanks to all who took the time share details!!!

Overall, it was a lot of fun and I would like to go again next year.

Brad

Regarding the bomb sight, what other plane was at Sun n Fun that had the bomb sight?? It was an interesting smaller plane. Any guesses??
Panchito! The B-25. They took the Super Secret Norden bombsights out and replace them with the Mark Twain for two reasons; they didn't want the Japanese to get it from a crashed aircraft, plus, the Doolittle raid was a low level attack and the simple Mark Twain actually worked better.

MArk Twain.jpg

Take it for a grain of salt. I heard from quite a few vendors, this was a slower year than last year. The storm on Thursday didnt help. The number of schools, knife dealers, facial cream and other like businesses was a much higher percentage than years past. The lot seemed pretty full late in the week Fri and Sat.

On the flip side, from a buyer side it was great. I had plenty of 1:1 time with vendors and their technical teams. I ended up buying more stuff while at the show because I was able to get that 1:1 hands on time. When your bank texts you to make sure your credit card wasnt stolen….

Overall there were some great things about SnF this year, the night airshow, the bands, the island. There were some not so hot things as well, the wifi, some of the volunteer changes,….

I actually did not get a close look at Panchito this year. The B-25 usually shows up at the Reading, PA WW2 airshow.

Besides the B-25, there was another plane at Sun N Fun that had a Norden bomb site in it..... Was actually the AT-11. Had a good time looking at that plane. Very intriguing. It was the bomber training plane. Basically a C-45 or Beech -18.

I’ve been to SNF probably 20+ times, and went again this year. Weather is ALWAYS a problem coming from Cincinnati, but when I get there, I enjoy it.……. something about Florida after an Ohio winter seems right. It’s a friendly, low key place, and lots of stuff to see. Plenty of places on the field to get a cold beer and a bite, especially on a day like Thursday. Always a place to keep you occupied. I’ve flown into LAL many times, but also flew into Bartow and Plant City, which I did again this year. KPCM is a very friendly place to park, and rental car access is easy. Brandon is a few miles west with numerous hotels and restaurants that don’t gouge you like the ones around Lakeland. I hope they can keep it going. Amazon and UPS are making inroads to KLAL and may influence how SNF looks in the future - I hope not. Crowds were a little lighter this year, somewhat influenced by the weather. I‘ve almost never missed Oshkosh for the last 30 years, but SNF also holds my interest just about as much.

I actually did not get a close look at Panchito this year. The B-25 usually shows up at the Reading, PA WW2 airshow.

Besides the B-25, there was another plane at Sun N Fun that had a Norden bomb site in it..... Was actually the AT-11. Had a good time looking at that plane. Very intriguing. It was the bomber training plane. Basically a C-45 or Beech -18.
Ya. The AT-11 was from where my image of the Norden Bombsite quiz question came from.

IMG_8610.jpeg

I enjoy SnF HBC much more than Oshkosh HBC
Heidi who is the unofficial CPO, is so nice.
The food was good at HBC, the commadarie good, the showers/potty really nice (hot water on demand), and clean.
Lots of Canadian brethren in attendance.
I liked it more then OSH.
Daddyman

This is from my neighbor who is not on VAF, but attended SNF for the week -

“My son and I flew our RV-7A and 10 down to SNF and parked next to each other in HBC. Heidi and her crew were extremely welcoming and accommodating. The food was great and the facilities were close by.

At breakfast one morning, saw a gentleman sitting by himself wearing a “crossed both poles” shirt. Turns out it was Bill Harrelson and he was there with his Lancair. Had a very interesting conversation with him about his Guam to Jacksonville non-stop flight.

We spent most of the week at our planes talking with builders and prospective builders as they came by. Really enjoyed those conversations and the positive feedback we received from these folks about our two planes.

As Daddyman said, Heidi and her crew treat us better at SNF than the folks do at OSH.”
IMG_8187.jpeg

“My son and I flew our RV-7A and 10 down to SNF and parked next to each other in HBC. Heidi and her crew were extremely welcoming and accommodating. The food was great and the facilities were close by.

At breakfast one morning, saw a gentleman sitting by himself wearing a “crossed both poles” shirt. Turns out it was Bill Harrelson and he was there with his Lancair. Had a very interesting conversation with him about his Guam to Jacksonville non-stop flight.

We spent most of the week at our planes talking with builders and prospective builders as they came by. Really enjoyed those conversations and the positive feedback we received from these folks about our two planes.

As Daddyman said, Heidi and her crew treat us better at SNF than the folks do at OSH.”View attachment 60759
Agreed.
Bill "Two-Poles" Harrelson is amazing. I also admired your plane and asked about your horizontal stab under-fairing.
Daddyman

I hope they can keep it going. Amazon and UPS are making inroads to KLAL and may influence how SNF looks in the future - I hope not.
They are going to have to do something. The airport is planning to put in a new parallel runway, 10R-28L, and a new C taxiway that runs right over Hangars A-D and most of the outside vendor area. I don’t see them relocating off LAL but there‘s gonna be some pretty significant infrastructure changes that are going to have to occur.

Attachments

• KLAL Masterplan.pdf
    8.7 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Amazon and UPS are making inroads to KLAL and may influence how SNF looks in the future - I hope not

UPS does not fly into KLAL and it's not likely they ever will. A new air gateway is opening at KTPA at the end of this month.

There are also numerous flights at KMCO.

As Daddyman said, Heidi and her crew treat us better at SNF than the folks do at OSH.”View attachment 60759
And those were two BEAUTIFUL RVs!!!

Back