What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Takeoff Drift RV-7A

Gents,

Thanks for the input. After reviewing all the comments and reviewing my cockpit videos I believed I found out what I was doing wrong.

Someone mentioned I might be dragging the right brake inadvertently. This could have been a possible cause.

I also noticed from the videos (camera captures sound) that I was very slow at applying full power (fear of loosing directional control and drifting rapidly, happened during transition training). So if I applied power more rapidly when in the beginning of my takeoff role I thought I just might have more airflow over the rudder and elevator and get better control.

I went out and flew a few times since I posted, made sure my big feet (12) were only on the rudder pedals and applied power more rapidly. I was amazed how it corrected the problem. Additionally since I had more airflow over the elevator I was able to get the nose us much earlier in the roll and didn't get the jerked into the air feeling when the mains left the ground.

I now feel much more confident and comfortable with my takeoffs. The rudder/brake pedal geometry is such that when you apply right rudder the brake pedal tilts towards your foot. This may cause inadvertent application of the brake during rudder input. I will be adding rudder pedal extenders (fuel line split and wrapped around the rudder pedal tubing-I have one layer but will add another) to add additional spacing to help keep my feet further away from the brake pedal.

The video camera (MD80) is really helpful for me to review takeoffs and landings to see if what I remember is really the way it happened. I get 50 minutes of video which can capture a lot.

I hope this helps others.

Excellent!:)

Back