What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Storage of Inner Tubes and Tires question.

eh_v8_tor

Good day folks,
I have my RV-7 finish kit now! That comes with the main tires, tubes, rims etc. I've been a slow builder, therefore, it could be a lot of years before they see pavement or grass.
How should I store these tires and tubes? Should I assemble them now? Should I treat the tubes with anything such as talcum powder?
At the moment they are sitting on a shelf out of the sunlight in a heated garage.
Thanks in advance for your tips,
Steve

I would powder them up with talc.. not baby powder, as that’s not talc anymore..or sell them and buy new Michelin leak guards as you get closer..

Just one man's experience/data point:
El Cheapo (me) didn't want to wait, nor spend, for (real) tire talc and used baby powder (corn starch) when mounting my RV12 tires.
I ended up having a flat on a main gear tire twice (several months apart). Luckily both occurred at home field during taxi.
Our local, friendly A&P examined the tube(s) and spotted the tell tale sign of tire/tube rubbing a pinhole.
Truth be told, it wasn't exactly the powder's fault, but that I neglected to keep pressures up to optimum.
Not a very scientific study but just another example of why to FOLLOW the instructions ;)

A reputable tire company representative told me to store tires that were not destined for use in the near future in sealed black plastic garbage bags. That would keep light and ozone from degrading them. Even so, storing them somewhere away from ozone producing electric motors is advisable.

Also, don't store rubber tires/tubes near electric motors (ozone generators), or under UV/Flourescent lighting. Both can degrade the rubber.
Dark and dry. Best thing for the tubes is to insert them into the tire and lightly inflate, then put them in a dark place like a box.

Definitely store slightly inflated. I stored mine folded as it came to use as a spare. Stored in dark and cold place, and when I went to use it a couple years later it had deteriorated along the fold lines.
This was an expensive Airstop.

There is no reason to wait to assemble the wheel tire tube disc assembly. Purchase some tire talc and place a generous amount on the tube and inside the tire and use the proper tube in tire install procedure. Inflate to 20# and store in a dark location.

The tires from Van's are not the best. But are good enough for the first few hundred hours of use.

My Warrior sat in a hangar on the tires for over six years. When the aircraft was brought back to life, the tires continued to wear in a normal manner.
..................................................................................................................
tire talc.JPG

Also, don't store rubber tires/tubes near electric motors (ozone generators), or under UV/Flourescent lighting. Both can degrade the rubber.
Dark and dry. Best thing for the tubes is to insert them into the tire and lightly inflate, then put them in a dark place like a box.
Just so we're not creating unnecessary paranoia, A/C induction motors do not produce ozone because they don't have brushes that produce sparks. Things like fans, compressors and bench grinders typically use induction motors so they aren't a concern. Many hand tools with smaller motors such as corded drills, routers, and Dremels use brushed motors and those are the items that should be kept away from inner tubes while they are being used.

Skylor

Thanks for your tips. I will get some real tire talc and mount the tires. Storing them properly could save me some maintenance costs in the future, so I appreciate your help.

Based on what I read here, I partially inflated my spare tubes and put them in a black plastic bag along with my spare tires for storage. The risk of the tubes cracking at the folds seems real.

Based on what I read here, I partially inflated my spare tubes and put them in a black plastic bag along with my spare tires for storage. The risk of the tubes cracking at the folds seems real.
Yup like a junky. I'm currently 72 years old and have changed literally thousands of tire/tube in my younger day working a gas station. Gotta tube it needs lube.
My luck varies FIXIT

Back